Who owned cars with multiple carburetors ?

My doctor told me that I needed to reduce my carbs, so I purchased a vehicle with fuel injection.

Okay, way, way back in the day, I added a second carb (1bbl) to my dually Dodge truck with the 82 HP flat head six. I was sure that it made more power. My adapter plate left a lot to be desired, but hey I was just a kid and my truck had dual carbs.

I've got a Vacuum balancer with the red ball that you hold up to the sidedrafts! Uni- something, maybe Sin. Used it on Volvo's , MGB's , TR7, & Jag as I helped others & I learned how to adjust the mixture on those SU's & Strombergs so they got great MPG along with proper running.

I Had a 1970 MB 250 with the dual carb (2x2Barrel) 2.5L L6 OHC that ran really nice with plenty of power & never had to adjust the carbs!
I see on the bay there,s lots of those balancer sets.

I ran dual Edelbrock 1406 carbs on my Olds’ for years. Very easily tuned for the street. I converted it to EFI as a project in my 2nd book and never looked back. Dual 900cfm throttle bodies.

Had an old (circa '60) Alfa Romeo equipped w/ two single-venturi Weber sidedraft carbs. They were a bitch to keep in synch. I learned enouhg to know that I would never attempt dual carbs (e.g., 2 x 4bbl) on any of my muscle car builds.

When I was in high school my 1973 SuperBeetle had twin Weber 34ICT carbs. Its a single throat, 34mm carb.

They were very tired and it wouldn't pass emissions because the fat idle mix required to overcome the throttle shaft slop but it ran down the road fine. No chokes, it was a miserable SOB in the winter but as my only car I had to put up with it. The crappy linkage that would move itself around at random and require re-syncing the throttles was an added funtime bonus.

Never had problems with that. My mom told me stories about hers doing the same thing but mine was fine. It actually ran its best on hot swampy days which makes no sense at all.

Every now and then I kinda think I would like to own another but I don't think I'd fit into one very well anymore. When I was a kid we had a Manx dune buggy that I really liked though. I could probably satisfy my air cooled VW desire with one of those.

If I could stand to own one of these cars, or deal with the system itself one of these is intriguing

350-crossfire-injection.jpg

early 80s Corvette with the GM Crossfire injection system. They also put it in the F body cars of the same time period. I'm not a fan of either vehicle, nor do I have any real desire to learn the inner defects of early GM TBI systems but it always looked like a headache waiting to happen.

If I could stand to own one of these cars, or deal with the system itself one of these is intriguing

350-crossfire-injection.jpg

early 80s Corvette with the GM Crossfire injection system. They also put it in the F body cars of the same time period. I'm not a fan of either vehicle, nor do I have any real desire to learn the inner defects of early GM TBI systems but it always looked like a headache waiting to happen.
I know NOTHING about the Crossfire system, but normal GM TBI is about as rock stupid simple as a fuel injection system gets. It is usually very easy to troubleshoot, and works fairly well, as long as the engine is kept stock.

Once you start modifying the engine, you have to go down the rabbit hole of data logging and having chips burned for you or getting the stuff to do it yourself. I've never got into it, but I did some research on it when I was thinking about adapting it onto another vehicle. It is supposed to be fairly versatile once you get into tuning it, and a lot of people actually do adapt TBI to other makes, models, and sizes of engines because of the simplicity, availability of cheap parts, and general reliability (once you get it working right).:rolleyes: I know a number of the guys on the Ford Ranger forum have taken the entire TBI system off from the Chevy 2.8 and transplanted it onto the Ford 2.8, and it is supposed to be a good upgrade over the stock POS computer controlled carb, without even doing any tuning.:eek:

I know NOTHING about the Crossfire system, but normal GM TBI is about as rock stupid simple as a fuel injection system gets. It is usually very easy to troubleshoot, and works fairly well, as long as the engine is kept stock.

Once you start modifying the engine, you have to go down the rabbit hole of data logging and having chips burned for you or getting the stuff to do it yourself. I've never got into it, but I did some research on it when I was thinking about adapting it onto another vehicle. It is supposed to be fairly versatile once you get into tuning it, and a lot of people actually do adapt TBI to other makes, models, and sizes of engines because of the simplicity, availability of cheap parts, and general reliability (once you get it working right).:rolleyes: I know a number of the guys on the Ford Ranger forum have taken the entire TBI system off from the Chevy 2.8 and transplanted it onto the Ford 2.8, and it is supposed to be a good upgrade over the stock POS computer controlled carb, without even doing any tuning.:eek:

A chimp on he hood with a cup of gas, a funnel and a hose would be an improvement over those carbs. I had a brand new '83 F/S Bronco with the God awful variable venturi electronic carb aka. The Ping Master. That was such a POS that there wasn't enough vacuum for the cruise control to work on long grades :(. After 2 years and 26k miles I went outlaw and pulled that 351M replacing it with an honest 360 hp 351W keeping only the M heads. I had Art Carr do the C6 and had 11 years of great daily driving and off-roading. With the new motor I could pull that same Grapevine grade on cruise at 80mph pulling my 19 foot boat passing the 3-pile-i's weazing in the next lane.

A chimp on he hood with a cup of gas, a funnel and a hose would be an improvement over those carbs. I had a brand new '83 F/S Bronco with the God awful variable venturi electronic carb aka. The Ping Master. That was such a POS that there wasn't enough vacuum for the cruise control to work on long grades :(. After 2 years and 26k miles I went outlaw and pulled that 351M replacing it with an honest 360 hp 351W keeping only the M heads. I had Art Carr do the C6 and had 11 years of great daily driving and off-roading. With the new motor I could pull that same Grapevine grade on cruise at 80mph pulling my 19 foot boat passing the 3-pile-i's weazing in the next lane.
That's funny!:rflmao: I never owned one, but a year or two ago I looked into buying a 77 F150 that had a 351M in it. Everyone I talked to and everyone on the forums said that in stock form, they were a pinging, gutless, boat anchor with compression of around 8:1, retarded cam timing, and usually topped with a 2bbl to boot. I read that, depending on the year, they had a whopping ~173 HP.:eek: I can only imagine what that turd of an engine topped with a POS computer controlled carb was like.:no:

Last edited:

I know mid 80s TBI works fine, but Crossfire was like 1982. I suspect the computer controls were a little different and possibly worse. That plus double the throttle bodies makes for possibly double the headache. Don't know much about it though, it just looks like it could be a massive headache.

God awful variable venturi electronic carb

I know one person who had a mostly working proprely VV on a 351W, and he even gave up on it for a standard 2bbl. Ford's VV with the MCU controller was definitely a RCF. Even their early throttle body injection, CFI, wasn't that awesome. Ford got multiport right, but feedback carbs and throttle body injection never worked well for them.

The 351M had potential but it was crippled badly from the factory. Same basic heads as the 351 Cleveland, block from a 400 and a shorter stroke should make for a heck of a motor that really likes to spin. The Cleveland heads, even the low compression ones, can move a lot of air. Change the cam and intake to feed it and you've got something but stock it was awful. The 400 was mostly the same story.

My 1983 XJ550 Maxim Yamaha has 4 carbs for 4 cylinders.

After riding it for 25 since the last carb synch, I finally built a homemade manometer and synched the carbs last summer. Runs really nice now!

My '63 Alfa Giulia had a 67 veloce engine with dual webers -
fortunately, I never had to dink with them much -
tho I did have a carb stick from my mid-70s days syncing Honda & Kawasaki 4cyl bikes ...

Nothing like watching 4 tubes of mercury bouncing when you blip the throttle!

Don't know how I missed this thread!

Had several Opels with dual carbs- a 1967 Kadett Rallye, and a 1969 GT 1100, for examples. Like these:

Aufmacher_Zweivergaseranlage_Opel-RallyeKadett.jpg.5897529.jpg

I always did all my own engine tuning- I could get those Solex 35PDSI carbs to run pretty darn well. They'd pull hard up to well over their 6000 RPM rated redline, and 35+MPG, too.

Though, unlike the picture above- I never ran my spark plug leads between the carbs! Never felt that lucky! A bit safer with them run behind the engine, away from the float bowls!

Regards,
Gordon.

I used to pass the Opel factory in Russelsheim twice every weekday when I last lived in Germany.

Back
Top Bottom