HELP PLEASE - Realistic STA 2000 - Red Stereo Light Not Functioning

Juicer

Hello All, I am new here but have visited many times and find this to be an excellent site. I hope this post is in the proper location, if not, please contact me informing me where I have to go with this post. I recently picked up a Realistic STA 2000. Looks great and sounds great hooked up to my Dynaco A25s. The only issues it has is the red Stereo indicator light not working. I opened it up to blow it out and clean the pots as well as remover the bulb. Bulb was good and after reading some posts on here I cleaned VR202 and VR203 and BINGO we had lights. Before closing it up I was playing it when I realized MUTE was not functioning, back to the boards and diagram. Seeing you had adjust VR201 for MUTE I went out and cleaned the VR201 as well as the MUTE push button. Really not sure hot to clean those push button contacts - any advise on this would be great on this as maybe this could help me with the MONO / STEREO red light issue??? Bottom line MUTE started working and the red light stopped working :( So, I am here seeking advise and help. I have attached the diagram for the circuit. Gladly would send a couple nice cigars your way for help on this. - Paul

Attachments

• 2000.JPG
    2000.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 27
I just picked one of these up myself and it seems to be a very nice sounding receiver. Hopefully this bump will help ellicit a responce to your questoions above. When I get some time I will have a look inside and see if I can come up with some advice too.

I'd message a moderator (use the "report" link under your post) and ask them to move this over the Solid State forum since this is am issue about a receiver and not just a tuner. You'll get more eyes there.
Good luck!

Thank you Wes. I just ordered the 4 transistors, the IC and the 2 varable resistors that the service manual suggests replacing -

Really sounds like all it needs is an alignment.
This is your best advice.

Replacing components at this point reminds me of putting in a new set of spark plugs when all you need to do is to put some gas in the tank.

Alignment? Isn't a freq generator needed for this? I do not have one or have acess to one - I am hoping that it is a componet. The cost of the parts were under $20. When I get home I am going to put a meter on the VRs and see if they are good - if they are, will replace the transitors and keep my fingers crossed - if that does not work, will replace the IC - if that fails, guessing I will drop back and PUNT -

Replacing parts will not fix the alignment and will probably make it things worse. It not about what is cheaper, it's about fixing what is broke.

Back
Top Bottom