HOLY CRAP!!!!!

richd860

Speaker Freak!!!
Subscriber
Just got a shipping quote for a potential buyer of my Nikko NR819 receiver.He lives in Krakow,Poland.To ship this receiver to him,would cost between $686.00 and $818.00.WOW!!!!!!!!! I thought Australia was bad.I shipped a luxman amp there,and it cost $500+.Glad I live in the Good Old USA!!!!!

1 ounce to Canada - about $9 to make up for the decades of cheap shipping. I recall it
was cheaper to ship to Canada than anywhere in the US.

then there's china. they sell things with shipping that you cannot re-ship here in the US.

Just got a shipping quote for a potential buyer of my Nikko NR819 receiver.He lives in Krakow,Poland.To ship this receiver to him,would cost between $686.00 and $818.00.WOW!!!!!!!!! I thought Australia was bad.I shipped a luxman amp there,and it cost $500+.Glad I live in the Good Old USA!!!!!
That receiver is light enough and the dimensions are small enough to ship via USPS. It should cost < $250.

Funny thing is it is often cheaper to ship to the US than it is on the other side of Toronto! And that involves a hand off to the USPS. We are being fleeced up here in Kanada

I just had a camera shipped to me from Vancouver Canada to Illinois, and the shipping wasn't more expensive than had it come from inside the US. I've bought some books and recordings from the UK and didn't find the shipping excessive, considering the distance, though it was more than for the same items inside the US. I would expect much heavier items, however, to be quite different,

It's causing a lot of pain for us audiophiles but maybe there is a silver lining: higher prices mean fewer people will buy audio on ebay from clueless sellers who pack poorly so it ends up getting destroyed in shipping. :idea:

It cost me $150.00 shipping a large receiver from Florida to Washington State.

That was a monster box.

You do want to avoid the “oversize” surcharge.

I’ve been flipping on Ebay for a couple years again. I started in 1997 and sold everything I could find at yard sales. USPS, FedEx and UPS broke it years ago.

I was doing ok on the junk but the last rate increase have really put the skids on things.

Amazon and Walmart and others with super carrier deals offering free shipping puts pressure on retail shipping. And now buyers think free shipping is no big deal to ask for.

The retail rates for FedEx and UPS are obscene. Anything that doesn’t go flat rate box on USPS is obscene.

You can get a FedEx account online by registering a CC. Print your own labels and drop the package at any pickup point.

Shipping outside US is obscene.
I think all of Europe is now off grid.
I really don’t know where my global sales go.

i have had many buyers back out at the last minute when i tell the cost to ship
generally for me that would be from nothern ontario to GTA or k-bec
and thats just shipping and materials ..... if i factored in my time to do it .................................................................

I have a FedEx account and when I set it up years ago, they said the rates would be 13% lower than paying retail at the counter. Also I don't have to wait in line, just hand them the package. It took me a bit to figure out how to print 'labels' but you just use std. 8.5x11 paper, fold it in half and slip it inside a peel and stick window pocket you can get at the counter. The tradeoff is you have to measure and (approximately) weigh your package and type everything in, but you can do all that in the comfort of your home.

I'm thinking the broken components I offered as free projects on BT the other day are not worth what it's going to cost any takers to ship them. :confused:

I will, in the future, start to offer a few items, but they will be for local pickup only I'm afraid.

If you create a FedEx account, you can call the FedEx Great Rates Hotline - 1-877-463-7408. For shipping out of the US they have greatly reduced rates, or at least they do for the company I work at. There is no charge to setup a FedEx account.

I do most of my shipping that's too large for USPS via:

www.paypal.com/shipnow

You get the bulk or corporate or whatever you want to call rate it from UPS that way, it's much cheaper than the counter, sometimes by as much as $40 or more.

I do need to setup a FedEx account, the cheaper service is highly dependent on where the package is going and coming from and I haven't experienced a significant different in service between the two. You have to package everything like it's getting the full Ace Ventura treatment regardless of the carrier you choose.

I had someone just buy an M&K MX-125 MK II sub from me off a site that shall remain unnamed. The problem- I live in Arkansas, USA-- he lives in British Columbia Canada! That's a LOOONG way for something this bulky and heavy to go. After exhaustive quote research it appears that FedEx is the cheapest, IF I typed everything in correctly, it would cost about $190. That sounds expensive until you find out UPS is $277 and US Postal won't even ship this thing, too large and heavy to meet their restrictions for international shipping.
I can only pray that I got that FedEx estimate correct, as that is what the buyer and I agreed upon. Something tells me I'm going to be hemorrhaging some cash. :(

Yup the oversized charge is obscene. A simple 16x16x21 box only 8 lbs was $90. Basically no teddy bears to grandkids across the country anymore. :(
Where this new math came from is curious as it seemed to spike suddenly from couple years ago. It's making shipping for regular folks prohibitive.

Yep, dimensional weights are brutal.
I've got Pioneer laying around here umused that I can't get up the ambition to move because of the costs.

Back
Top Bottom