Tiny Tuner for a Topping Class D-Amp?

organicdonut

Is there a similar and less expensive tuner like the Pro-Ject Tuner Box? I have a Topping Class D amp on a bedroom dresser and would like a similar tuner to go with it. Space is limited, and I've considered just using my iPhone with streaming radio, but I'd rather have a dedicated tuner that I can just leave there. The Pro-Ject Tuner Box looks great, though it's a bit expensive.

I know Lepai makes a small amp with an FM tuner built in, but I want something that has higher WAF.

Vintage of any interest?
There are adorable options from years past courtesy of (e.g.) Radio Shack, KLH and Sony

031.jpg

source: www.radioshackcatalogs.com (1973)
061.jpg

source: www.radioshackcatalogs.com (1967)
1349409036706.jpg

(borrowed photo)

upload_2018-1-18_7-45-39.png
source: www.radioshackcatalogs.com (1990) R/S made cheap "mini-tuners" for decades.

I did a fair amount of looking around and did not find anything. It seems that by the time tiny desktop amps became popular FM was not, not enough to give companies the volume to make inexpensive ones anyway. The options above are good ones. I have had the little RS TM-150 and a used Pro-Ject before I decided to just go with streaming on my desktop set up.

Amazon echo dot makes a great streaming tuner. Just tell it to play any station call letters available thru TuneIn.

I use one of these as both FM and Internet tuner:

quattro.jpg

$80 U.S. right now. Bought it as a clock radio for the bedroom but it has some design issues that make it not suitable for that use (small display, complex to set alarms etc). I run the LINE OUT to my family room stereo...

My little digital amps generate too much hash to be of much use with a tuner.
That's an interesting point -- I've never tried the little "Class T" amp here with a tuner that was physically close to it. The MR-67 does fine with it -- but it's a good six feet away from the amp on those occasions when it is hooked up.

If amp and tuner are physically close, it definitely could be a problem.

That's an interesting point -- I've never tried the little "Class T" amp here with a tuner that was physically close to it. The MR-67 does fine with it -- but it's a good six feet away from the amp on those occasions when it is hooked up.

If amp and tuner are physically close, it definitely could be a problem.
My Nobsound dual 3116 interferes with another separate system tuner across the room.

Possibly not less expensive, but how about a Sony XDR-F1HD?

Only downside is you can't set the amp on top of it as the buttons are on top, save for the power button.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm leaning toward the Realistic Stereo Modules and the KLH radio. We have a vintage look going on. The Amazon Echo Dot would work, but I don't like the idea of Amazon listening in on everything.

Another option is a car head using the line out jacks. That's what I did here to add HD Radio to my classic system ...

hdradio-sony.jpg

Granted, not the prettiest option, but it works great. I power it with a 6a12v computer monitor brick - way overkill as I'm not using the onboard amps. I cobbled up an antenna cable by cutting off the standard "F" connector on one end and replacing that with a motorola type from a junk car antenna.

My Tecsun PL-600 shortwave /AM/FM portable radio has stereo out for headphones. It goes for around $100 and is pretty compact. I need to do FM listening with headphones on it and see how it would work, but so far the AM and shortwave performance has been great.

An outdoor FM antenna and 75 Ohm shielded cable might help a proper FM tuner dealing with indoor hash generators. Forget indoor antennas.

OK, I just did a performance check on my Tecsun PL-600 using a pair of inexpensive stereo headphones.

Good grief, this little thing can sure pull in stations! You have two ways you can tune. You can use the analog dial to scan through the spectrum or use the keypad to input the frequency directly. I used the small whip antenna and picked up all of my FM stations. When properly tuned to a station the reception was clear and not distorted. On one station I heard some low level hum when there was a pause of music, but the hum could have been generated by the station.

In any case I feel that the Tecsun PL-600 could be used as an AM/FM tuner for a compact system.

OK, I just did a performance check on my Tecsun PL-600 using a pair of inexpensive stereo headphones.

Good grief, this little thing can sure pull in stations! You have two ways you can tune. You can use the analog dial to scan through the spectrum or use the keypad to input the frequency directly. I used the small whip antenna and picked up all of my FM stations. When properly tuned to a station the reception was clear and not distorted. On one station I heard some low level hum when there was a pause of music, but the hum could have been generated by the station.

In any case I feel that the Tecsun PL-600 could be used as an AM/FM tuner for a compact system.

Cute little guy but I am unable to confirm that it includes MPX for FM stereo reception?

It has stereo out via the headphone jack, so it must receive FM stereo. Here's something of interest,,

We have a FM station in Montauk at 104.7 Mhz. It is on the other fork of Long Island about 20 miles from me. The ONLY tuner I own that could capture it was my Sony HD tuner. My Yamaha receivers were unable to make it out, one Yamaha was connected to a omnidirectional FM antenna in the attic and the other to the standard FM antenna that was supplied with the receiver. This little gem was able to capture the station with the whip closed, although with some hiss. Once I extended the whip, I had no hiss in the background. That is excellent performance!

Back
Top Bottom