Pics of your listening space

My very humble system...

index.php

Attachments

• 100_0069.JPG
    100_0069.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 719
These Genesis II's continue to amaze me. Such a basic design from 1979 shouldn't sound this good, but it does. They're now sporting some solid brass screws all around (the left speaker was missing 4 of the screws on the woofer), and some Straightwire Rhapsody S speaker cable as well as a short 0.5 meter Rhapsody S interconnect between the preamp and dbx.

Say what you will about cables, but I noticed right away adding just the speaker cables have a slightly fuller midrange and deeper bass as well as a slightly wider and more open sound stage. The IC's seem to have sweetened the treble just a touch and a little deeper and wider sound stage. Either way, these cables are a move in the right direction. I'll most likely end up upgrading the rest of my WireWorld IC's with more Straightwire Rhapsody S cables.

p2713875472-5.jpg

p2713875474-5.jpg

p2713905852-5.jpg

every time I hook up something with the genesis/epi inverted dome and the 8" (EPI 100/genesis II) in my system I'm shocked how good and truly sweet they sound, they do a lot of things right. their most glaring issue IMO is the rapid HF rolloff above ~14k

it's fun hooking up speakers you upgraded from or that you think shouldn't sound "that good" in your main system and seeing how well they scale.

All in all I think EPI/Genesis sound impressive and they are still my #1 suggestion for the novice audiophile. Cheap vintage speakers speakers learn to refoam enter the rabbit hole etc...

Very nice. Would you mind listing the gear? Those speakers are most intriguing. They look like some type of Advent that I'm not familiar with.

Sure.....

SOTA Moonbeam TT with an acrylic Music Hall platter...Rega RB303 arm...Audio Technica VM750SH Shibata cartridge
Topping TP-60 Tripath based integrated amp
ART DJII modified phono preamp
Audio Engine B1 Bluetooth receiver
SDH sealed 8" two way speakers

every time I hook up something with the genesis/epi inverted dome and the 8" (EPI 100/genesis II) in my system I'm shocked how good and truly sweet they sound, they do a lot of things right. their most glaring issue IMO is the rapid HF rolloff above ~14k

it's fun hooking up speakers you upgraded from or that you think shouldn't sound "that good" in your main system and seeing how well they scale.

All in all I think EPI/Genesis sound impressive and they are still my #1 suggestion for the novice audiophile. Cheap vintage speakers speakers learn to refoam enter the rabbit hole etc...

Rolled off above 14 kHz? If you're using the original inductors, maybe that's a side effect of using 22 awg wire in those. I'm using all new crossover components in mine including larger (same value) 18 awg inductors. I've run measurements both via my dbx DriveRack Venu 360 with included dbx mic and through Room EQ Wizard with a calibrated miniDSP USB mic. Both show smooth extension out past 20 kHz. It would drive me nuts if these speakers started rolling off around 14 kHz.

I agree 100% about these speakers and how they sound with almost anything. I mean, as much as I love my NHT 2.9's and Martin Logan SL3's, these Genesis II's just seem to just about everything better. They're more immediate, delicate, tactile, effortless, pure sounding.

Sure.....

SOTA Moonbeam TT with an acrylic Music Hall platter...Rega RB303 arm...Audio Technica VM750SH Shibata cartridge
Topping TP-60 Tripath based integrated amp
ART DJII modified phono preamp
Audio Engine B1 Bluetooth receiver
SDH sealed 8" two way speakers

I've never heard of SDH speakers before. Interesting. They look good!

Thanks,
Yep made it to match the wreckies. Ported with 2 Phillips wizzer mids and 2 nd140 Dayton's and a silk dome tweet crossed at about 500/3000. It blends beautifully with the big guys. Sounds good as a mono as well.

Back
Top Bottom