JBL 240Ti worth a trip?

Worth? who says what they are worth? Is there a database of sold items that track? My research shows $999, and $1000. Nothing else showing

There is a big difference in having a speaker for sale locally to inspect and take home safely rather than finding a pair on ebay etc for me. These speakers you speak of could be real beaters or gems for all I know.

Dick move on the sellers part to raise the price on you. If he won't stick with the original price, I would just wait til something else pops up. They will need foams at some point in the near future. If the finish is scratched and the feet are missing, that is another reason why they aren't worth top dollar. How have they been stored? Have they been in a damp basement, or similar? Those are ported on the back, make sure to check for rodents nest in there!

Dick move on the sellers part to raise the price on you. If he won't stick with the original price, I would just wait til something else pops up. They will need foams at some point in the near future. If the finish is scratched and the feet are missing, that is another reason why they aren't worth top dollar. How have they been stored? Have they been in a damp basement, or similar? Those are ported on the back, make sure to check for rodents nest in there!

All he said about storage were in his furnace room, so yes a basement. I don't know for how long. And he did tell me he did want to be fair. I explained the extent of repair costs to him, and the likely re-foam. He said if I could prove they needed repair he would adjust. I think there is an overzealous guy talking him up, probably someone who has no intent to pay a penny. Just some no-it-all with no money.

Make him a fair offer, what you're willing to pay, and if he thinks they're worth more, politely let him sell them for that. But let him know your offer stands if he wants to call you back. That way you let the market convince him what they're worth rather than trying to do it yourself when you're arguing against some other unknown buyer. If you miss getting them, there are always more speakers around the corner.

Make him a fair offer, what you're willing to pay, and if he thinks they're worth more, politely let him sell them for that. But let him know your offer stands if he wants to call you back. That way you let the market convince him what they're worth rather than trying to do it yourself when you're arguing against some other unknown buyer. If you miss getting them, there are always more speakers around the corner.

This is how I would conduct this kind of transaction. Let money do the talking.

Unfortunately there are many examples of second-callers creating a bidding situation, some have been discussed on AK by the second-callers.

Sometimes people are unhappy that they weren't the first and there's a psychology of winning them, good for the seller I guess.

Best of luck but this is the time that you need to not be in love with those speakers and keep a clear perspective of what they're worth to you, and whether it is still worth the trip considering the unknown condition. I consider my time free when driving to check out a possible acquisition, but my round-trip mileage is still at $0.56/mile and I add that to my calculated costs with purchase and repair/restoration costs before I decide that it's worth the trip.

Funny you say that about mileage. I also factor that in my cost. So I posted a pair of Klipsch KG5.5 for sale on another forum, and suggested I could deliver for a mileage fee, and all I got was dogged out for asking for mileage comp. These guys were a 1000 miles away too. The farthest I ever drove to buy speakers was about 700 miles RT.

If they didn't like the deal that's their choice. You do you. :thumbsup:

I'm sure we'll dog you about something but hopefully it will be more creative than that. :p

It also depends on what amp you will be using . Jbl and McIntosh match up really well and have great synergy together. I would like to hear the 240ti vs the L7's using the same amps. Joe you using the mc2200 you got from me on the jbl's ?
Agreed! When I first picked up the speakers I used them in my main system with the mc2200 & mc2205 run in mono mode. It was very impressive, but not enough to replace my 10Ts. The JBLs are now in my shop/exercise room and are being driven by a nice SX-950. They still sound great, but have lost a bit of their mid bass punch. As Cactus Bob mentions, they really thrive with a lot of power! They have that unmistakable signature JBL sound. Eventually, I have a Luxman integrated that once repaired, will pair nicely with the JBLs, I think.

WWWWHHHHHOOOO. He just raised his price $100 on Craigslist, and he isn't even home from vacation till the end of the week. What kind of emails must he be getting?
Careful! This is always a red flag for me. In fact, the same thing happened when I went to purchase the 240ti on CL. After I agreed to pay his full asking price he contacted me and said he had been getting a lot of interest and higher offers. Since it was a 4+ hour round trip for me, I told him to feel free to take one of the higher offers or commit to me once and for all, because God help him if I drove to Erie Pa to find out that he sold them out from under me. To his credit, he said he was a man of his word and would follow through on our deal. Which he did and we had a smooth transaction. Good Luck!

It's funny, I used to own a pair of JBL 250Ti's and I really tried to like them but I just couldn't. Tried every kind of placement, tried different amplification, tried using them exclusively for a few months without listening to other systems...nope. Couldn't put my finger on exactly what it was but they just didn't sit right with me for some reason and I couldn't get used to them. After reading this thread it's apparent that I gave them away for nuttin' but I sure don't miss 'em, guess the JBL sound just isn't for me. :dunno:

Hope you get them at a reasonable price to try out, at least you know what they go for if you decide they're not for you and if you like them so much the better. Pretty much a win-win!

Just an update. This guy is MIA for a week, then suddenly wakes up and commits to a meeting and a just a few hours later, he says let's do next weekend. I still have only 1 pic of 1/2 a front and 1 pic of 1/2 a back.

00R0R_kpPLAugCFK7_600x450.jpg Finally he sent photos of one of the JBL 240Ti. I really don't know why getting info from this guy has to be so exhausting. He still has not given me a date and time. What do you think so far? Grill has a jbl badge? Midrange has a dent in the dust cap. Is the midrage installed sideways? Just wondering, not that it effects sound. The other half of the pair is still a complete mystery. I know all the feet are missing.

unnamed (1).jpg unnamed (2).jpg unnamed (3).jpg unnamed.jpg00d0d_fMv2PFBxLoO_1200x900.jpg

Last edited:
Sure looks clean, I wouldn't worry about that little dent, it can be sucked out (carefully) with a vacuum hose. I can't actually swear these are the right drivers though since I don't know this speaker but that should be easy enough to verify on the webbernet.

Maybe the guy is just busy. I told an AKer I'd pack up a parts/restore TT and let him know shipping, some time back in December, and I still haven't found a suitable box and got it done. Luckily he's not hounding me. :biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom