Marantz 4300

Jon Haring

I acquired a 4300 from my father inlaw years ago that he purchased new. It sounds great. The only issues seem to be some burned out bulbs, scratchy balance controls could use a new piece of vellum and a good cleaning. The dc offset hovers at less than 2mV on all the speaker outputs. I would like to do the work myself and would like some direction on parts sources and methods. One other odd thing the power switch when turned off cuts off the speakers but all the lights stay on and the meters operate? Anything helps thank you kind sirs!

Three good AK members who sell various Marantz parts:

Aaron99 -- vintagehifiaudio.com

runningdog -- irebuildmarantz.com

dgwojo -- dgwojo.com

Most people buy as many of the electronic components as they can from Mouser or Digikey because they are trusted to send high quality parts.

Last edited:
The power switch does dual duty, one part turns the power on and off, the second part disconnects the speakers.

A 4300 is not an easy receiver to learn on, lots of stuff in a small space.

Tom

Three good AK members who sell various Marantz parts:

Aaron99 -- vintagehifiaudio.com

runningdog -- irebuildmarantz.com

dgwojo -- dgwojo.com

Most people buy as many of the electronic components as they can from Mouser or Digikey because they are trusted to send high quality parts.

Hello. I just joined today. Don't mean to tag onto post but 4300's, we have in common. I bought a Marantz 4300, all in great working order, including decoder. When I was pulling it out of the wood case, it's missing the steel top/sides. Ugh! Any other models that will work. Parts only? I don't want to bury myself. But the sound is incredible. Thank you.

If you are going to keep it in the wood case, I wouldn’t worry about it. These things generate a lot of heat, and probably cool better with only one case.

I will tell you this...
I've done many in depth mods and repairs of a lot of my equipment. I have a 4300, and I took it to a trusted tech and he did some work on it. That was 2 years and $180 ago. It works like a champ, and I didn't have a chance to mess it up worse.
My point is, depending on your knowledge and skill level.... a 4300 that you have zero money into is a great candidate to go spend $200 on to make it right by a pro.
If you have to get into it, then just replace the lamps with LEDs and meet your "I did it" need.
Just my opinion.

If you are going to keep it in the wood case, I wouldn’t worry about it. These things generate a lot of heat, and probably cool better with only one case.

Trouble is wanted to mount it rack/shelving with other components. It's too big with the wood case and I'm not particularly fond of them. I thought I was getting the "real deal" to quickly sell it for $75 or $100. Well not! It is in great shape, it appears to be cherry. I'll keep my eyes open. It's part of the hunt! Another person says 4400 is likely my only option. Still very happy with performance. I will always appreciate Dimension and Vari-Matrix. Thanks!

Thanks for the advice, it is quite a complicated mess inside. I plan to have a pro do the work from here.

It will be well worth your investment. I can't believe how great the 4300 sounds. And to me, that vari-matrix and dimension control are terrific, set on 4 channel (40 watts). I don't have 4 matched speakers either, Klipsch R26F and R15. I know I could do better on the speaker side but holy smoke I like what I hear. Good luck.

Just as an FYI, you may get it "serviced" for $200 but nobody reputable will do a full refurb for that! Parts alone will run around $100 plus or minus. Well worth whatever is put into it though!

Just as an FYI, you may get it "serviced" for $200 but nobody reputable will do a full refurb for that! Parts alone will run around $100 plus or minus. Well worth whatever is put into it though!

I'm certain this is technician specific, but I will ask. At what point do you go farther in R&R, when everything is working? I've seen these complete R&R's go for $1500, depending on model. And then I've read about affecting the sound "character" after the repair or renovation.

For sure, you go further when it doesn't sound good to you anymore. This one won't run $1500 I'm pretty sure. The sound can change back to the way it was when it was new and perhaps with more clarity if you upgrade film caps in the tone control amp and phono sections along with all electrolytics. It's rare that someone thinks it worse, usually the change, if any is perceived, is for the better. If you like it, enjoy it!! :music:

Thanks, everyone for your advice. I was able to replace the fuse bulbs with some nice blue leds as well as the tuner needle bulb. The small bi pin bulbs are beyond what I want to tackle. I am currently looking for a Seattle area tech to finish tbe work. Father inlaw just gave me a set of Rectiliner highboy III's I don't know much about these but they look badass!

You won't regret restoring that 4300. I just finished a very protracted, complete refresh on mine (full re-cap, pre-amp transistors replaced, amp differential pairs replaced, tuner and offset alignment, PS repair, etc.) and it sounds FANTASTIC. I've long said the 4300 is my favorite Marantz receiver, and now I remember why. Loving listening to it again so much that I moved it out of the 2nd position in my quad rack to my office driving a pair of JBL L-112s. Mmm...

Nothing like diving in the deep end. I really like my Rectilinears. They probably need new crossover caps at this date but after that that should be a very enjoyable system.

You won't regret restoring that 4300. I just finished a very protracted, complete refresh on mine (full re-cap, pre-amp transistors replaced, amp differential pairs replaced, tuner and offset alignment, PS repair, etc.) and it sounds FANTASTIC. I've long said the 4300 is my favorite Marantz receiver, and now I remember why. Loving listening to it again so much that I moved it out of the 2nd position in my quad rack to my office driving a pair of JBL L-112s. Mmm...
Thanks to rBuckner I connected with blhagstrom planning on paying him a visit and have him go though my 4300. I would have done it this weekend but we got 12" of snow at my place, power out etc. Being from Detroit these people out here in western Washington scare me on the road when the "White Death" falls from the sky!

Back
Top Bottom