Roseanne Again Noooo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other than cooking shows, how-to shows, and some history channel stuff, Mythbuster marathons, and re-runs of the old Match game, I am pretty much done with todays TV except for Better Call Saul and Ash vs Evil Dead. BCS because I loved Breaking Bad, and Ash because its a weird mix of over the top gore and humor. Liked Bruce Campbell since Brisco County Jr.

Roseanne was a great show, IMO. Dealt with a lot of issues working families went through, and was excellent TV. Don't know how the new series will work. But I admire their trying it out. I'd like to see what how they tackle the current scene.

What did the break for me was when I purchased my first Apple TV. I had been a Dish Network customer for almost 20 years. I started to watch what was streaming on the Apple TV, after awhile I realized that I had not had my Dish Network receiver turned on in over a month. When I called Dish to close my service they transferred me to a person whose job it was to find out why people were dropping their service. I explained to him it it was nothing to do with them that I had always been happy customer but that I realized that I just didn't use it anymore.

Yes they did. Also Becky was married to David and Darlene was actually married to Mark. They really ruined that show by the last season.

Go back, MUCH further back!! to Newton Minnow as FCC commish ..

"When television is good, nothing — not the theater, not the magazines or newspapers — nothing is better. But when television is bad, nothing is worse. I invite each of you to sit down in front of your television set when your station goes on the air and stay there for a day without a book, without a magazine, without a newspaper, without a profit and loss sheet or a rating book to distract you. Keep your eyes glued to that set until the station signs off. I can assure you that what you will observe is a vast wasteland."

[delivered 9 May 1961, National Association of Broadcasters, Washington, DC]
http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/newtonminow.htm

I gave up on TV in the 90s.
The crap between the commercials is only there to "sell eyeballs".
Whatever gets people to see the commercials is the objective.
The garbage between the commercials tells me a lot about the people on this planet.
I am ashamed and embarrassed by it and a little scared by what it indicates about people.

Last edited:

"When television is good, nothing — not the theater, not the magazines or newspapers — nothing is better. But when television is bad, nothing is worse. I invite each of you to sit down in front of your television set when your station goes on the air and stay there for a day without a book, without a magazine, without a newspaper, without a profit and loss sheet or a rating book to distract you. Keep your eyes glued to that set until the station signs off. I can assure you that what you will observe is a vast wasteland."

Imagine what he would have written if he had seen current TV.:D

I'll enjoy turning it off.

people-watching-tv-collection-003.jpg

I gave up on TV in the 90s.
I quit TV in the late 80s. Haven't missed it. The only thing I will tune in now very rarely are sporting events. The NHL playoffs, and maybe Wolverines football if they are having a good year. Hockey Night in Canada was always a treat. And the Winter Olympics...I follow a few events, although the media bullpoop surrounding the events is horrible (the melodrama, mostly). I do miss a few of the PBS shows but those have also changed--I was an avid fan of This Old House, Victory Garden and Motorweek. Still enjoy Jeopardy though, on the rare occasion I catch it.
The garbage between the commercials tells me a lot about the people on this planet.
The few times I've overhead some of what's on TV (out in public), I realize I don't miss anything. The few sitcoms that caught my ear were unfunny and/or centered on crotch humor; how original. :rolleyes: Dramas just want to shock and titillate to make up for a weak plot (aka "selling eyeballs"). Can't even trust news anymore--local news prefers to turn it all into melodrama or stick their noses where they don't belong, and the national news only wants to shove political agendas at their viewers from all sides. Even sportscasting is nothing like it used to be; rather than offer the play-by-play, we get their "armchair expert" opinions on what the team should have done, or tell us how we should watch it. (At least Don Cherry was an NHL coach...and has some lovely outfits. :D )

So yeah, no, I don't miss any of it...it takes time away from playing music. ;)

I quit TV in the late 80s. Haven't missed it. The only thing I will tune in now very rarely are sporting events. The NHL playoffs, and maybe Wolverines football if they are having a good year. Hockey Night in Canada was always a treat. And the Winter Olympics...I follow a few events, although the media bullpoop surrounding the events is horrible (the melodrama, mostly). I do miss a few of the PBS shows but those have also changed--I was an avid fan of This Old House, Victory Garden and Motorweek. Still enjoy Jeopardy though, on the rare occasion I catch it.

The few times I've overhead some of what's on TV (out in public), I realize I don't miss anything. The few sitcoms that caught my ear were unfunny and/or centered on crotch humor; how original. :rolleyes: Dramas just want to shock and titillate to make up for a weak plot (aka "selling eyeballs"). Can't even trust news anymore--local news prefers to turn it all into melodrama or stick their noses where they don't belong, and the national news only wants to shove political agendas at their viewers from all sides. Even sportscasting is nothing like it used to be; rather than offer the play-by-play, we get their "armchair expert" opinions on what the team should have done, or tell us how we should watch it. (At least Don Cherry was an NHL coach...and has some lovely outfits. :D )

So yeah, no, I don't miss any of it...it takes time away from playing music. ;)

Damn! We are so screwed!

I bet you think there's no good new music, either.

Don Cherry was no play-by-play guy. He was just a bitter old coot hockey coach. This Old House is 40 years old. Materials, tools, and construction techniques have changed radically. Norm would have to use CAD software! Do you prefer the Art Fleming Jeopardy? Victory Garden? I guess tomatoes and pole beans haven't changed much.

Times change. Deal with it.

EDIT: There is more good TV, comedy and drama, now than ever. You just need a Roku. Look at Netflix, Hulu, Amazon TV.

Last edited:
Damn! We are so screwed!

I bet you think there's no good new music, either.

Don Cherry was no play-by-play guy. He was just a bitter old coot hockey coach. This Old House is 40 years old. Materials, tools, and construction techniques have changed radically. Norm would have to use CAD software! Do you prefer the Art Fleming Jeopardy? Victory Garden? I guess tomatoes and pole beans haven't changed much.

Times change. Deal with it.

EDIT: There is more good TV, comedy and drama, now than ever. You just need a Roku. Look at Netflix, Hulu, Amazon TV.

Exactly. If you only go with what on the networks, or on the Billboard 100, you're sunk. Do a minuscule bit of research, dare to broaden your horizons, just a bit, and you'll be rewarded.

Broadcast television was/is a voracious monster that requires constant feeding of any quality fodder to survive, witness Kraft Theatre vs wrestling in the "good olde days". Fwiw, arena wrestling was the last stage of life for cumbersome older, less sensitive cameras as they didn't have to move and they could put as much light as they needed on the limited area.
In the US, Vaudeville, sports, news, and the studio owner film archives got the industry past the early post-war "so it works, now what?" proof-of-principle period of finding a purpose and place in public service.
In Germany, it was propaganda, newsreels, and lavish variety shows for wartime military r&r facilities and hospitals that bridged the period between the 1936 Berlin Olympic games debut and the awkward "it works, now what?" post-proof-of-principle period to the end of the war, when broadcasting ceased.
British TV seems to not have had the awkward years, but did discontinue TV broadcasting at the beginning of their direct involvement in the European war.
What the Brits had was a rich tradition of Music Hall live entertainment, like Vaudeville, to tap.
In the USA, Television had been largely a commercial for-profit business model, based on Oscar Hammerstein's dictum of making a living by "putting butts in seats". Whether said butts have a commendable standard of good taste is arguable.

Last edited:
So - we probably should not talk about the 1st episode of the (4th) newest season of Black Mirror here, right?
aka - How social media can destroy a politician ...

[Its available via Netflix streaming]

So - we probably should not talk about the 1st episode of the (4th) newest season of Black Mirror here, right?
aka - How social media can destroy a politician ...

[Its available via Netflix streaming]
Or make one.
Haven't seen that series or heard of it. I'll have a look.

Unfortunately, it's not a new trend. My dad stated the EXACT same thing almost 20 years ago. It is pretty insulting at times.:no:

Seriously? Try being Hispanic. you may not notice it, but I sure do. On TV. On the radio. In the street. At a store. At the post office. At the airport. In school. When I get pulled over and asked if I speak English. Give me a break.

Seriously? Try being Hispanic. you may not notice it, but I sure do. On TV. On the radio. In the street. At a store. At the post office. At the airport. In school. When I get pulled over and asked if I speak English. Give me a break.
Seriously? You're going to bitch at me like it's my fault, or I'm the one doing it? Give me a break.

Pretty much agree with all this. I mostly watch the dot2 and 3 channels on the antenna these days. And the current trend in commercials to always make the white guy a complete idiot burns me up too. I suppose most people don't pay that much attention but being a white guy, I sure see it. The woman is smart, intuitive, in controll, the black guy is laid back, uber cool, modern.
So, we are going with white male opression?
Seriously?
I'm in that demographic and must have missed that meeting.

Last edited:
Pretty much agree with all this. I mostly watch the dot2 and 3 channels on the antenna these days. And the current trend in commercials to always make the white guy a complete idiot burns me up too. I suppose most people don't pay that much attention but being a white guy, I sure see it. The woman is smart, intuitive, in controll, the black guy is laid back, uber cool, modern.

Exactly, that's what Will Ferrell's job is in just about all of his movies. Be a big dumb white guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom