The Knife Thread.....

Yeah, when I was in their store, this literally 'spoke' to me from the display case.

I just pointed and said "That one".

I know what you mean. I was perusing their web site and saw a Leek with Malachite scales that was screaming, "Buy me!" ;)

-Dave

I have accumulated a substantial supply of phenolic sheet (Micarta) from the government surplus sales, and just for the heck of it put some pieces on the bay for sale. I didn't realize knife makers love the stuff for handles. I have one small lot that is "unique", and have just hooked up with a local knife maker as well as a seller of knife making supplies that will probably use up most of my supply. Once the local guy finishes one with my phenolic, I'll get photos.

Auction fail, I tried but after it my limit I bailed. Figured I must have missed something beyond the one I wanted but afterwards discovered I did not. Just 2 guys and Thunderdome bidding. The knife all 3 of us were after was the John Ek WW2 commando fighter in the center. The Western hunter below it, Mexican snake bowie above, and various Bucks were nice too but not that nice -

KfRhq5T.jpg

Out of sheath shot; oh well another day.

post-70-1343871148.jpg

The first time you stabbed someone with that commando knife, your hand would slide up the handle and you would slice up your palm.

Here is a pic of a true commando knife, The Devil's Brigade Stiletto:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwij4OG82vPYAhXs7IMKHSWrAuAQjRwIBw&url=http://coldsteelforums.com/The-V42-The-devil-brigade-knife-m177038.aspx&psig=AOvVaw3Tg3HZSFZRfL9YjSxE7mmD&ust=1516990031316577

This is the story behind the Devil' Brigade stiletto:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Special_Service_Force

Boker makes a replica of the Devil's Brigade Commando Knife and, if I was to blow some funds, this would be one of the things I would blow it on. Run a Google search for commando knives and in the image section, soundmotor's knife is the third pic in the list. You will note one of the things that distinguishes the Devil's Brigade knife from the others is the distinctive hilt with the point. Other commando knives lack the point, but are rather blunt. Both would do some damage if used, but I would be willing to guess that the pointed one would really fu*k a guy up big time. Just looking at this knife makes me hurt.

H

Boker makes a replica of the Devil's Brigade Commando Knife and, if I was to blow some funds, this would be one of the things I would blow it on. Run a Google search for commando knives and in the image section, soundmotor's knife is the third pic in the list. You will note one of the things that distinguishes the Devil's Brigade knife from the others is the distinctive hilt with the point. Other commando knives lack the point, but are rather blunt. Both would do some damage if used, but I would be willing to guess that the pointed one would really fu*k a guy up big time. Just looking at this knife makes me hurt.

I've missed owning an original V-42 twice now. Not that many of them out there unfound but there certainly still are a few...one day... Read deeper on it though. The skull crusher pommel was dropped as a feature by the time the M3 was issued. It was just as likely to cause injury to the user when in the scabbard while diving or rolling. The point was near needle sharp when issued but ones you find are often rounded off. That was done in the field. The hammer pommel on the M3 was just as effective but definitely not as cool.

Case made several stilettos for WW2 use with the V-42 the pinnacle. Here's another known only as the Case Stiletto, the middle knife. These were used early in WW2 and this one has an original M6 sheath. They had bakelite pommels secured with babbit-bearing material. It would let go and the pommel lost. Again, this technique did not make it onto the M3 which was a steel plate peened onto the tang. I picked up the Case MK2 below the stiletto for an eventual pommel swap but held off. The MK2s are somewhat rare and this one is a good example. Couldn't bring myself to tear it apart but found a better, beat up one as a donor in the bottom pic -

CELNw.jpg

This is my M3, an Imperial w/ 1943 stamp. The airborne sheath is actually more valuable than the knife. Made by a company that only did one ~20,000 piece contract. Very few around now -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WW-ll-Vine...064090?hash=item4414391f9a:g:oDAAAOSwbWZaT9dH

The one on the far right is a Cattaraugus "Quartermaster". Unbelievably beefy, the blade is nearly 1/4" across and you can hammer nails with the pommel. As an aside, everything in that shot was in one lot at an auction, hammer down at $15.

9zVQi.jpg

5Zz4r.jpg

15oZE.jpg

mAt0b.jpg

These are what preceded issue fighting knives, commercial pattern knives put right into service but sans aluminum bits as it was all sent to the aircraft industry. Ones here are from Kinfolks, Ka-Bar, Robeson, Western, and Case, all with issue sheaths. The 2 on the left are in near mint shape, both from Kinfolks. The far left in classic skinner pattern w/ bakelite pommel & guard is somewhat rare among WW2 issue knives. By the end of 1942 they were no longer being issued but gives you an idea about how much of a scramble it was to equip the service with good knives. The next series like the M3 & MK2 Ka-Bar were much beefier and more utilitarian. The early MK2s below were not and amazing to think how Marines went to Guadalcanal with them -

zd54o.jpg

Hit an auction I never go to, good thing. Several lots but I only got this one. However it was the best vs. price paid.

Top to bottom -

1980s Onyx OTF (Korea) probably from Edgeco in VT

1980s Capri OTF (Italy) another probable Edgeco

1980s Cumosa (Mexico) blade stamped Edgeco

1960s Bullfighter & Dragon leverlock (Japan) stamped Micor (never seen that one)

(2) 1960s Bullfighter & Dragon leverlocks (NEW in FREAKIN' BOX!)

(Left) 1970s German market "B" stamp stiletto (Italy), Euro tourist bring back

VuI1RNT.jpg

1990s & up Mikov leverlock, fires so hard it almost flies out of your hand

RQtPVay.jpg

Forged in Fire,..
Anyone else watching?
I've got nothing to offer the thread; but I find that TV program fascinating.

Forged in Fire,..
Anyone else watching?
I've got nothing to offer the thread; but I find that TV program fascinating.
This is my friend Ryu Lim, he was a Champion on the "Forged In Fire" TV series. (You can see him in the promotional trailers for Season 2) He grew up in the Philippines, working in blacksmith forges since he was a kid. Most of his work leans toward the primitive style, but would be extremely functional in any sort of survival situation.

View attachment 692569 View attachment 692572

Back
Top Bottom