A New Member of our Car Family

I have had two Miatas (both 1996) and I loved them both. They are built to last. One made it to 180,000 miles, requiring only brakes, oil, tires and only a clutch master cylinder. The second one was totaled by a drunk driver, who side swiped me at 8AM. I was heart broken.

It might be a good idea to have a OBDII scan performed. Some of the engine sensor are quite inaccessible and not inexpensive to replace. My second Miata developed a problem with one of these hard to replace sensor, just before the accident (it was 17 years old). Check the condition of the hoses and belts. Usually these will all last to their scheduled replacement; but if you are negotiating price don't neglect the opportunity to recognize that they might need replacement due to age.

Anyway, good luck! Zoom Zoom!

Not sure this is a common fault but if you have overheating problems later look for rusty connections for the fan.

Thanks for the comments. I truly appreciate these kind of hints. I have a good garage man and will list these up for him when I take it in for its first visit.

Diggin' that color! Very clean. I drove red cars (with grey interiors) for 33 years, so anything that's not red, black, white or silver/grey is a welcome sight. :)

Its a good car. My Aunt has only owned Miatas since they came out. She DD'd her '96 until 2012. For the tall person, the next generation after yours is the one to have. At 6' and 214lbs, the first & second gens were a little tight but doable for me.

Her NC was much nicer for me to fit in. It was also harder to stall, I think they had more torque down low or perhaps a lower 1st gear.

I like the look of the earlier models rather than the later ones, though.

I am not real big on driving the Miata. My Suburban is just an overall better fit for me. I don't drive much. For the last 4 years of working in Orlando, I was driving from Brooksville, 74 miles each way, often times 5 or 6 weeks with no days off and 18 hour days. I just could care less about driving anymore. I'm just glad that my wife gets to have her toy after all these years.

I am not real big on driving the Miata. My Suburban is just an overall better fit for me.
Fit/comfort/safety for me are #1--I've sat in the Miata at numerous auto shows over the years and always felt claustrophobic--definitely not my type of car. It's one of those cars I wish someone would water just a little to make it grow a few inches in all directions, so I would feel less "sardined" in it. ;) But hey, like you say, the Mrs. KingBubba has a nice ride now, so it's all good! :thumbsup:

She is driving at night today for the first time. I don't know why she would be nervous about it, but she is.

She is driving at night today for the first time. I don't know why she would be nervous about it, but she is.
My better half was rear-ended a week (to the day) after we got our latest addition to the fleet, back in October. Light damage (it's just a matter of me replacing plastic once the weather warms up), but still. It can be a bit apprehensive driving something new and unfamiliar until we get used to them.

The Miata went for it's first shop visit, oil change, Trans change and service, wheel alignment, general look over. It needs brakes on all four and it needs tires on all four. This all doesn't surprise me. We'll get the tires and brakes on the next oil change.

A MG Midget or a Triumph Spitfire, without the British headaches. Fun, spirited, and boringly reliable. Winner all around for a nice two seater. The Miata is nice, and should be a blast for years.

Back
Top Bottom