Headphones made for walking...

dbxdx5

Tapping the collective headphone wisdom here.... My girlfriend would like some new headphones that are as comfortable as my trusty Grado SR60is to use while walking outside, but minus the long heavy cord. She uses an iPhone 6. Suggestions?

Well, there are oodles and gobs of lightweight headphones, corded and Bluetooth, from Sony, Sennheiser, Bose, et al.
As to comfort, the only way to know for sure is to put them on her head. Pick out 3 or 4 at Amazon, try them and send the others back within 30 days.
Good luck with your search.

Thanks. Buying a few and donning them for fit makes sense and will probably be what we do once I narrow down the field a bit. To be more specific, here are some additional criteria:

- No Bluetooth. She doesn't want to deal with charging yet another device.
- Relatively short, thin cord.
- Open ear design.
- Notably comfortable yet doesn't shift when moving. Sure, this is subjective, but if several people say "X" feels good and stays put, I'll add it to my short list.
- Sub $75, but not junk.

For a fun sound, the Audio Technica ATH-M40x would be towards the top of my list. Usually $100, sometimes $80.

For something a bit smaller, the V-Moda XS are an on-ear design. I got mine Used As New from Amazon for $100.

Nevermind... I just noticed you specified an open design. I only have experience with closed phones for on-the-go use.

Koss KPH30i
I own them. Surprisingly good. They rest on the ear, open style, durable feel even though mostly plastic. Limited lifetime warranty. Very light weight. White or grey. By now, you probably have made your purchase. So, this is for someone looking for the same type can. My 2¢.

Koss KPH30i
I own them. Surprisingly good. They rest on the ear, open style, durable feel even though mostly plastic. Limited lifetime warranty. Very light weight. White or grey. By now, you probably have made your purchase. So, this is for someone looking for the same type can. My 2¢.

Thanks. She still hasn't found ones she likes, so this is helpful.

My recommendations:

Beyerdynamic DT 1350 or T51p
V-Moda M-80 or XS
Audio Technica ATH-ESW-9

Last edited:
Tapping the collective headphone wisdom here.... My girlfriend would like some new headphones that are as comfortable as my trusty Grado SR60is to use while walking outside, but minus the long heavy cord. She uses an iPhone 6. Suggestions?

Any progress with the search? :idea:

Ha! Sorry about the silence. (Well, exvept for those damn crickets.)

I recently ended up buying her a used pair of Grado SR60s, and she's happy. To clarify, these are more for when the temps are cooler and the Grados can do double duty as headphones and ear warmers. The rest of the year she's using some Sennheiser ear buds I got for her.

I'm too late to the party but the Sennheiser PX-100s have served me well in this regard for many years. I like them so much I bought a spare pair to stash away, as well as a stash of the earpads and headband pads when those need replacing.

I have a pair of SR60's. I like the sound. However, I found the stock cushions to be very uncomfortable. A pair of replacements from Ear Zonk solved that problem.

These phones are made for walkin'
and that's just what I'll do.
One day me and these phones are gonna
walk all over you.

Back
Top Bottom