I Opted Out of Ebay Global Shipping Program

SoCal Sam

Lunatic Member
I opted out of GSP. For small items, the shipping cost to Kentucky AND the international shipping cost was too much for buyers. Another problem I encountered with GSP was that some buyers were not able to complete the transaction. Opting out allowed for international shipping preference to be set whereas with GSP, there were no choices. Not sure how much this was costing me in lost sales but we shall see what happens.

Another wish I have is for GSP to be an option for high dollar items where the added protection is a benefit.

You can sell international and NOT use eBay's GSP? If so, what are the good shipping options?

Generally, USPS is the least expensive. For packages under 1 pound, International First Class is cheapest. Up to 4 pounds, Priority Flat Rate box is best assuming item fits.

Open another account.
Use the the new account for higher dollar items and do GSP.

I run 7 accounts.

I opened multiple accounts when bad buyers screwed up my account and Ebay dropped my limits.

Ebay and I are not friends.
I should open more accounts.

Screw feedback, screw non payers, set auto non-pay to lowest setting, let Ebay nag them and ding them.

I stopped dealing with BS from India and Russia and South Africa. If eBay GSP doesn’t handle the country, it’s because it’s a bad country with no secure delivery. That means they can claim non-delivery and you’re screwed.

If some retard from a bad country buys something, I just let it rot until Ebay dings the account and I relist. People from bad rarely pay and if they do, I cancel the sale.

I list.
You buy and pay or eBay nags.

I will answer one intelligent question.
The second question is a waste of time, no one buys after a second question.

I may bargain once or twice but after that it’s a waste of time. If you piss me off, I’ll raise the price.

I only got burned once with GSP.
Some ass wanted a return.
Wouldn’t cooperate on shipping damage because the box was undamaged.
I figured impact shock.
Ebay wouldn’t help because no box damage.

So now I damage the box before shipping.

I lose a few battles but I’m going to win the war.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can sell international and NOT use eBay's GSP? If so, what are the good shipping options?

There is an option on the bottom of the listing to offer global shipping. USPS global priority is the cheapest. You will need to do all the form BS. You can do it online and print it all out. Order customs pouch for the labels online at USPS too.

I think the only way it is cheaper for the buyer is if you don’t put real price on and slip through customs. I don’t think you can buy proper insurance AND lie about value. Good luck on that. Customs is one bunch of law enforcement you do not want to get on your case. They can pretty much do whatever and God help you to try and sort it out. There is almost NO changing their minds. My passport expired and I’m good with that. I never ever want to deal with customs agents again. Never, never, never, ever. I’m good right here in the USA.

I have never sold & shipped internationally on eBay. Reading these posts is making me wonder if there is any reason to even fool with it at all.

As a buyer I can tell you I actively avoid anyone using it. Costs more for nothing. Another eBay ripoff.

From a sellers point I many times prefer selling something through GSP that domestically. Way less hassle from buyers. Who pissed in Blhagstroms coffee??? WOW

Open another account.

I run 7 accounts.

I opened multiple accounts when bad buyers screwed up my account and Ebay dropped my limits.

Ebay and I are not friends.
I should open more accounts.

Screw feedback, screw non payers, set auto non-pay to lowest setting, let Ebay nag them and ding them.

I stopped dealing with BS from India and Russia and South Africa. If eBay GSP doesn’t handle the country, it’s because it’s a S***Hole with no secure delivery. That means they can claim non-delivery and you’re screwed.

If some retard from a S***hole country buys something, I just let it rot until Ebay dings the account and I relist. People from S***hole rarely pay and if they do, I cancel the sale.

I list.
You buy and pay or eBay nags.

I will answer one intelligent question.
The second question is a waste of time, no one buys after a second question.

I may bargain once or twice but after that it’s a waste of time. If you piss me off, I’ll raise the price.

I only got burned once with GSP.
Some ass wanted a return.
Wouldn’t cooperate on shipping damage because the box was undamaged.
I figured impact shock.
Ebay wouldn’t help because no box damage.

So now I damage the box before shipping.

I lose a few battles but I’m going to win the war.

One account with GSP and another without GSP is a great idea. I do not sell any working audio gear on ebay. I haven't gotten ripped off on a parts unit but I suppose non-received claim could end that.

As a buyer I can tell you I actively avoid anyone using it. Costs more for nothing. Another eBay ripoff.

I think you are right. You are paying for shipping to GSP center in Erlanger, Kentucky AND whatever the shipping cost is to your country. I ended up closing the deal for a $20 item to France after turning off GSP.

I stopped dealing with BS from India and Russia and South Africa. If eBay GSP doesn’t handle the country, it’s because it’s a S***Hole with no secure delivery. That means they can claim non-delivery and you’re screwed.
QUOTE]

Be advised we could have AK'ers from these locations.

From a sellers point I many times prefer selling something through GSP that domestically. Way less hassle from buyers. Who pissed in Blhagstroms coffee??? WOW

Even though I got the $20 sale to France, I feel unprotected. Sigh. I regret opting out.

From a sellers point I many times prefer selling something through GSP that domestically . Way less hassle from buyers. Who pissed in Blhagstroms coffee??? WOW

eBay pissed on me, a few times. There are some buyers out there that are just a pain. The buyer protection system is "screw the seller, buyer is always right". They are starting to back off that a little but it's still a bitch.

I've had buyers steal parts, demand returns fo not-as-described even though it was exactly as described, demand returns because of trivial things that the description covered. Return things because their crap doesn't work and they blame your stuff. Return stuff and pack bad and stuff gets broken coming back.

You refund everything and pay return shipping. You lose all the postage.

FedEx claims work down at $100 or less . I never had a larger claim work.
USPS is getting to be difficult about claims.

99% things are fine and I sell a lot if crap and a lot of people are nice and happy.
1% are painful.

I do sell a LOT through GSP and get $$$ because off shore, stuff is harder to find and things the US doesn't value is worth more offshore, or even worth something the US doesn't even want.

I just pulled $600 out of a big Pioneer Quad that I probably would have to give away in the US for $100.
The buyer had to have paid over $800 to buy and ship.

A lot of stuff I ask top dollar or more, sells through GSP.

There is NO extra charge to use GSP.
It is actually cheaper to the buyer because eBay has made shipping deals.
I can ship to the forwarding place in KY for seriously dirt cheap.
And, it says "overnight" on the FedEx labels (!?!)

But, i just heard that off shore thinks GSP is a ripoff.
They don't know that it really is cheaper.
USPS is high, FedEx and UPS and others are insane.
I will need to add notes to my listings.

USPS will deliver things from China that cost a few dollars and are free shipping.
I can't send anything to anywhere offshore for under $20-$25.
Places like Germany, OMFG! $100 type thing.
Hell, I can't mail (USPS) anything NOT in a flat rate box cheaply IN the US anymore!
USPS keep jacking the price for "better service" and service continues to degrade.
I just lost a package to a another AK're, USPS says delivered, It's not there.
Now I file a claim and they refuse because "ITS DELIVERED"
BS, they abandoned it "somewhere", scanned it and left it.

Oh yeah. USPS pisses in my coffee too.

I just accepted an offer from a fool in Poland.
I refused once. I thought it was BS. You get those too.
They seem legit. I bet they won't pay to ship it to Poland.
I bet they freak and ask for cheaper "mail" option.
There isn't any.
I'll end up cancelling and relisting.

But, they may just actually pay and I'll get some broken crap out the door and help someone in Poland. I do bother to list broken crap like Nakamichi tape decks and CDP and Carver junk. CD players, VCRs, Quadraphonics, Sanyo gear, Panasonic at times. junky Realistic at times. Cool space age TVs, really old typewriters, "antique" home theater stuff, speaker parts from stuff you wouldn't bring home free.

Once in a while, a real one works. It costs them dearly, but they manage to get what they want or need.

I used to trash a lot of broken stuff before i found out there is some real money in parts for weird stuff off shore. You would NOT believe the crap I sell. I don't believe the crap I sell.

GSP is one of the best things about eBay.

Last edited:

I got nothing against anyone in a S***hole country.
I would gladly sell to them.
But if they have no secure delivery system, there is no protection for me. They can claim non-delivery and eBay will force a full refund.

If a country has no secure mail system, it's a S***hole.

Open another account.

One account with GSP and another without GSP is a great idea. I do not sell any working audio gear on ebay. I haven't gotten ripped off on a parts unit but I suppose non-received claim could end that.

If you have only one account and it is set-up with GSP, can you simply choose NOT to list selected items internationally?

I've always had GSP preference set to off. Doesn't prevent me from adding it as an option to a specific listing when it's being created, though - have done so twice w/o issue. Don't know that it works the other way round (i.e. set to yes but sometimes list items w/o GSP allowed), but since I prefer to ship most of my international items direct and only use GSP for specific high value items or in certain cases to get a better overall cost for shipment to Canada, the way I described it works perfectly.

John

I've always had GSP preference set to off. Doesn't prevent me from adding it as an option to a specific listing when it's being created, though - have done so twice w/o issue. Don't know that it works the other way round (i.e. set to yes but sometimes list items w/o GSP allowed), but since I prefer to ship most of my international items direct and only use GSP for specific high value items or in certain cases to get a better overall cost for shipment to Canada, the way I described it works perfectly.

John

That's the guidance I am looking for, thanks.

I believe it has protected me when I use The GSP. It gets me out of the loop once the shipment is accepted at the Kentucky hub. I don't sell a lot internationally and so far have not had any problems. Didn't like shipping out of the country before GS. To much paperwork and to much risk.

GSP is a disaster IMO. It prevents sellers and buyers working out the best deal in postage/freight. I just had an experience where the postage on a book was going to be $US28 to me and no matter what we did I ended up paying it all, only for the seller to reimburse me the difference between intl priority and the GSP amount which was less than half that.

Whenever I see it on listings, I simply avoid the listing. I don't offer it and never will.

Just another way ebay tries to get its tentacles into every part of the transaction and take a cut. The time is ripe for an alternative actual auction site to step up.

Back
Top Bottom