Official Kef LS50 owners thread

I'm happily stuck in the past. I keep reading about the future while it changes every year. I'm good right here, for now.:beerchug:

To each their own, of course. :) You should try to give it a listen at some point, though. Unfortunately I won't have the ability to have the passive LS50s and wireless ones here at the same time, but hopefully my solid memory of the LS50 sound will be enough to give me a comparison and if it is in fact better.

Edit:

Decided to get my listening space cleaned up in anticipation of the wireless LS50s. Here's a shot of my current setup. Soon the rack will be almost empty!

IMG_20180119_145943.jpg

Last edited:
Listening won't be the issue. I'm sure they are excellent. They simply aren't built for the way I listen to music or how I want my components set up. I'm certain they are an outstanding product and likely the best of it's kind anywhere near the price, much like the passive version. Hats off to KEF!

That's essentially what I'm going to do. My primary source that I use 99% of the time is a computer, so what I do is with a microphone (I have the miniDSP UMIK-1), I take frequency response measurements in Room EQ Wizard, and then using the Equalizer APO (an EQ that runs in the background in Windows and works with Room EQ Wizard), I adjust the frequencies below 150Hz to get a flat response. I haven't attempted to correct anything above that because my experimentation with that has given me poor results. But when the bass is flattened with an EQ and the subwoofers are tuned properly, the sound is unbelievable! I can only imagine what that's going to be like with the KEF LS50 Wireless speakers running with their active, time corrected crossovers.

Cool. I have sorta the same setup. Using a PC to Raspberry Pi / HiFi Berry HAT streamer into a MiniDSP NanoDiGI as a EQ and crossover, with the same mike and REW program. Does the KEF LS50W allow you to high pass at different setting?

For folks who don't want DSP, but could use a little EQ tweaking, I can recommend the Schiit Loki Mini, which is basically a four band tone control. All analog and easily switchable in and out of the circuit. From what I and other users can tell, its transparent (and inexpensive too). I use mine for a late night loudness control.

Cool. I have sorta the same setup. Using a PC to Raspberry Pi / HiFi Berry HAT streamer into a MiniDSP NanoDiGI as a EQ and crossover, with the same mike and REW program. Does the KEF LS50W allow you to high pass at different setting?

For folks who don't want DSP, but could use a little EQ tweaking, I can recommend the Schiit Loki Mini, which is basically a four band tone control. All analog and easily switchable in and out of the circuit. From what I and other users can tell, its transparent (and inexpensive too). I use mine for a late night loudness control.

Yes the LS50 Wireless has a high pass option.

The LS50 Wireless speakers have been ordered! I got a pretty great deal on them too, $2300 CAD + taxes, so only $1300 more than what I paid for the passive LS50s. Also, they let me know if I wanted to extend the warranty to 5 years (on all components, including the amplifiers), it'll only be $249.99 which I think I'm going to spring for. They said I should get them in a couple of weeks so it's going to be a bit of a wait but I'll be sure to let you all know when I get them and what they're like.

Every day it's LS50 that or LS50 blah, blah, blah. Enough already! I just placed my order for a pair and I'm so looking forward it.
I hope no one took offense to my intro. Just kidding. I'm anxious to do battle with my ATC 7&11s.

R1

Every day it's LS50 that or LS50 blah, blah, blah. Enough already! I just placed my order for a pair and I'm so looking forward it.
I hope no one took offense to my intro. Just kidding. I'm anxious to do battle with my ATC 7&11s.

R1
LOL

Which finish did you decide on? And what equipment are you hooking them up to?

Just the regular Black, I like it for some reason. I'm going to try in no particular order....

A Krell S550i
A RegaElex-R
A Creek Destiny ......or
A Rega Brio-R.

My concern is room placement. We'll have to see what I can do there..Thanks for the interest.

All of these will be done with...

ATC 7 and 11
Or most likely the Kings (my name for the Harbeth C7)

R1

Last edited:
You certainly don't have a short supply of amplification to try them with. That's great, I'm sure you'll find an excellent combination that way.

My only advice for room placement is give them room to breathe, and make sure you break out the tape measure. Their best imaging comes out when you get them placed exactly. Though, they do have a wide sweet spot so they're fairly forgiving in that aspect.

You certainly don't have a short supply of amplification to try them with. That's great, I'm sure you'll find an excellent combination that way.

My only advice for room placement is give them room to breathe, and make sure you break out the tape measure. Their best imaging comes out when you get them placed exactly. Though, they do have a wide sweet spot so they're fairly forgiving in that aspect.

I just read somewhere that LS50s and the Rega like to play together. Thanks for the tip.

Just a quick Thank You Art K. If it wasn't for you I may have never delved into the British sound. And of course the thread about the Brio was where it all started. There is no going back now. I mean c'mon. Harbeths and Rega.:bowdown:.

R1

I'm still stuck on LS50's vs 107's. I usually pick whichever speaker is currently playing, haha! I guess that's a good thing. I mean, I play the LS50's and I'm like "yeah, these are good...I can live with these."

Then I play the 107's and I'm like, "yeah, i really like these. why would i ever get rid of these?"

And back and forth, back and forth. Wish I could keep them both. I COULD but wouldn't feel right about it. Not right now. In the future when the money situation is (hopefully) a little different, sure.

I find the highs and mids adequate on both. The LS50's are a little better, but can also sometimes sound a little "pinched" or smaller in scale to me for some reason...may be amplification and/or positioning. I'm only giving them 40 wpc and have them sitting on a credenza. The bass, of course, 107's hands down. The LS50's are $400-1,200 cheaper (depending on what I can sell the 107's for).

For now, I get to live with both until April-ish (tax return time). We'll see at that time.

I would LOVE to hear some Harbeths sometime. Can't get enough of these British speakers!

The LS50's are a little better, but can also sometimes sound a little "pinched" or smaller in scale to me for some reason...may be amplification and/or positioning. I'm only giving them 40 wpc and have them sitting on a credenza.

Man. The fact that they are this close for you and yet the LS50's are not being optimized makes me think that you'd be blow away by hearing them at their best. The best investment I made when I had my LS50's was a pair of 27" tall Skylan stands. They made a big difference in the low end and just overall presence of the speaker. Also, the best I ever heard my LS50's was with the Job225 and Pre2 combo. That fast amp just sounded amazing with the LS50s.

I think if you can dial in the LS50's... you'll cash in on the 107's being sold. My 2 cents.

- Woody

Man. The fact that they are this close for you and yet the LS50's are not being optimized makes me think that you'd be blow away by hearing them at their best. The best investment I made when I had my LS50's was a pair of 27" tall Skylan stands. They made a big difference in the low end and just overall presence of the speaker. Also, the best I ever heard my LS50's was with the Job225 and Pre2 combo. That fast amp just sounded amazing with the LS50s.

I think if you can dial in the LS50's... you'll cash in on the 107's being sold. My 2 cents.

- Woody

Thanks. I'm going to give the LS50's another shot on the Audire Forte amp too, for more power. I do have some stands...not the best...but going to make sure to try them on stands too again before making a final decision. If I keep the LS50's, I'll buy better stands, which will further change the cost equation.

I "fear" I'm going to go with the heart here and keep the 107's. I like everything about them...their looks, size, sound...they just convey sheer power, yet can finesse it too.

The LS50's are amazing too though, for sure. Such a hard decision. Vintage vs modern at its best (or if not "best" then close enough).

Bottom line is I'm not selling the 107's without a darn good offer, no matter what. That is another thing that may end up keeping them with me...I'm asking top of market price for the 107's due to their restored status.

Trying to just enjoy the next few months with both of them and not agonizing so much over this decision.

You gave me a project for this afternoon...going to move the 107's out and get the LS50's on some stands! First probably stands with the smaller amp...then the bigger amp. Should be fun.

Yes, both the Harbeths and the ATC's. As stated earlier, life changed and so too did my hifi. Divorce, relocation and space dictated some changes. That said, life is good. I have a nice dedicated listening space and a lovely fiance. Marriage coming on St. Patty's!!!

Congrats! I went through a divorce too in the last few years, which involved getting a new HiFi also. My current GF (moving in with soon) knows that the stereo comes with me!

Back
Top Bottom