Member Of The Year Thoughts

Member Of The Year Thoughts ??

• Wow you hit it on the head. I am down with this!!

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Wow you are wrong and I am going to tell you why!!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I sorta agree with most of what you said but honestly you should consider this also ??

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • What is a member of the year and why should I care ??

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Get Rid Of It As I Always Got Picked Last And It Sucked

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

buglegirl

I Want To Be The Girl With The Most Cake
Subscriber
Hiya,

I post with with all the respect given to current and past MOTY recipients but some things are burning inside me and I want to get them out to at least see if anyone else feels as I do.

1. Traits a MOTY should possess are as follows.
a: Altruistic generosity , kindness and respect to others.
b: Should be ready to help people through issues no matter what they are.
c: Should be a good forum citizen.
d: Possess a good moral compass.
2. Term limits. This means you are selected and that is it for life. Its enough of a honor without going for a repeat or three-peat.
3. No self voting allowed. Do I really have to explain how ridiculous this is ??
4. No grandstanding , politicking or buying of votes (OK I am kidding about buying votes)

Now as far as our "Departed" members I have thoughts about that as well.

1. They should be memorialized properly.
2. We should create a category for members who have departed and vote on it one year after death.
3. The memorial member who is selected should have a one month fund raiser with the proceeds distributed as per surviving family members wishes.

Anyhow I just wanted to get this out of my system. Hope this makes people consider what this honor really is about. And perhaps even chime in and offer thoughts.

Frannie

Not sure the term limit (one and done) is necessarily a good idea. The pool of eligible parties might get rather -- dilute.
As the tone of many of the discussions on this site gets ever snarkier, I feel less and less inclined to recognize anyone's contributions, truth be told. YMMV, of course (there are still a few good folks left -- they don't post much any more, by and large, though).

We've certainly had MOTY choices who didn't live up to some of your criteria :(
(and there have been votes "bought" by one means or another in the rather distant past, by all appearances at the time)

I am generally down with your thoughts/feelings/suggestions (which isn't quite one of the poll choices).

Other sites I have been on have tried this but not well accepted.

Everyone who participates enthusiastically should be considered as person of the year

time-magazine-template-ywrehqc4.jpg

I generally like your suggestions, including the idea that it should be a one time - lifetime accomplishment - award. It is hard to imagine that this forum isn't big enough to produce a pool of reasonable candidates that have not yet been recognized.

As far as a separate, "deceased" category (if I'm correct in interpreting that as your suggestion) I would think that it would present a difficult and uncomfortable dilemma. It is sadly an entirely conceivable possibility that several very beloved members could pass in the same year, and it would be very hard (for me at least) to choose one in a competitive situation like that.

I agree with you except for this:

Term limits. This means you are selected and that is it for life. Its enough of a honor without going for a repeat or three-peat.

It's conceivable that a member could deserve to be MOTY more than once. Points 1a through 1d are spot on. Points 3 and 4 should go without saying.

-Dave

I pretty much agree with all your points.

I've been appalled at the posts of some past MOTY, but then again they made similar posts before the voting so I guess most people weren't bothered by it.

When I first got present to MOTY, I thought it was pretty hokey. Reminded me of the Honeymooners and Raccoon of the year!

I still think it's hokey, not to diminish the integrity and contributions of some winners, but I feel the community would be better without it.
It reminds me of popularity contests when I was in grade school.
I'm a grownup now. Lose it.

Memorializing members who've passed? Maybe have a forum or sub-forum, "In Memorian", where members could go to eulogize those who died; a vehicle to make threads like the one for Audiodon easy to find and perhaps participate in?

EDIT: I didn't vote because the questions all ignore the possibility that MOTY is counterproductive, encourages dysfunctional behavior, and would be better off abandoned.
You might reconstruct your poll for this possibility!

Last edited:
EDIT: I didn't vote because the questions all ignore the possibility that MOTY is counterproductive, encourages dysfunctional behavior, and would be better off abandoned.
Done

Frannie

For me the MOTY award lost it's grandeur a while back. HarmonKardon did much to restore it's luster but the patina is sullied and I say let's do away with it completely. At least it will go out on a high note. Evidently there is not only one particular member of the year. There are always several outstanding members that make significant contributions to these forums year in year out.

Edit: If the last option of the poll was Get rid of it, that would be my vote. The rest of the sentence, As I always get picked last and it sucked is unneeded and loads the question with a frivolous element.

Last edited:
Hiya,

To throw some more reasoning into my "One Term" idea.

I honestly should have not won IMHO. I do think that votes were siphoned off and wasted on "Moronic Self Votes" , voting for past MOTY's and people voting for someone because they are a great seller of records , tubes or what not.

MOTY should be judged on "Fresh" merit and removing superfluous votes would give people with "Fresh" approaches a way in while also kicking the "Old Boy Network" to the curb. We are voting for member of the "Year" as in past "Year" not member of "All Time"

As far as the memorial thoughts I just wanted to address any "Raw" emotional voting from the process. We all need to grieve of course and we all need a way to grieve. But MOTY is not IMHO a good way to memorialize someone as its structured now.

Frannie

What he said:
I didn't vote because the questions all ignore the possibility that MOTY is counterproductive, encourages dysfunctional behavior, and would be better off abandoned.

Done
Frannie

What she said:
Get Rid Of It As I Always Got Picked Last And It Sucked

Please don't trivialize my input! That's NOT what I said and in no way reflects how I feel!!
A clear choice serves the question better than your dysfunctional answer
PS: I am NOT running for MOTY, just being authentic and honest!

What he said:
I didn't vote because the questions all ignore the possibility that MOTY is counterproductive, encourages dysfunctional behavior, and would be better off abandoned.

What she said:
Get Rid Of It As I Always Got Picked Last And It Sucked

Please don't trivialize my input! That's NOT what I said and in no way reflects how I feel!!
A clear choice serves the question better than your dysfunctional answer
PS: I am NOT running for MOTY, just being authentic and honest!
I should add

5. Must possess a sense of humor and not get too tightly wound.
6. Don't bold text to get my attention. I can read.

Frannie

I should add
5. Must possess a sense of humor and not get too tightly wound.
6. Don't bold text to get my attention. I can read.
Frannie

I copied and pasted your bold-text, and apparently the keyboard emulated it-not intentional! And I'll ask you why you bolded that last poll category?
I have a good sense of humor.
I believe a poll about how we want our site to be should be straightforward and clear-that is what's required to get good feedback.
Or is this just entertainment?

For me the MOTY award lost it's grandeur a while back. HarmonKardon did much to restore it's luster but the patina is sullied and I say let's do away with it completely. At least it will go out on a high note. Evidently there is not only one particular member of the year. There are always several outstanding members that make significant contributions to these forums year in year out.

Edit: If the last option of the poll was Get rid of it, that would be my vote. The rest of the sentence, As I always get picked last and it sucked is unneeded and loads the question with a frivolous element.

Ask Frannie to change your vote to reflect your choice.

I did not vote as the poll is not comprehensive. I do however agree with most of what she said.

Hello,

I can't change polls apparently.

And I am as serious as cotton candy.

To be honest this is starting to go the way of why bother. You guys do know that its easy to lob rotten vegetables from the balcony right ?? Its hard to walk up on the stage and present.

Frannie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom