Amazon is getting slow at fulfilling orders (or is it just me?)

tyeeslayer

My last few orders take a week to ship.
When I place the order the products are in stock and it still takes a week for Amazon to ship them out.
I'm not talking total: order placed till item received.
This is order placed till Amazon ships it out.
They still arrive in the allotted time but it seems to me things are taking a lot longer lately.
Just me?

Hmmm... I don't know. Lately I've been receiving stuff overnight instead of the two-day you get with Prime. I just ordered something Wednesday and got it Thursday this week. Of course, I don't live in BC, so maybe that's a factor in the winter. Now, some of those Marketplace boneheaded vendors can take a while to ship.

It takes a little while for retailers to restock after the holiday blitz, I think. Our local Best Buy seems to take until the middle of February. Amazon probably does better than most.

I think Amazon does a lot of corner-cutting on the shipping. It generally has the worst record, in terms of speed, of any of the online retailers I deal with.

I know delivery is going to be slower with the USPS than it is, say, with Fed Ex or UPS. Still, I think, based on the distance between the Amazon warehouse and my front door, stuff should get to my place in 72 hours max, at least most of the time. That never happens, though. It doesn't make any difference who the carrier is.

Last edited:
There's also the issue of the definition of "in stock". If you live in Seattle, and the item you want from Amazon is in a warehouse in Atlanta, to Amazon that means the item is in stock. Your opinion is irrelevant.

Prime or no? I think the non-Prime order fulfillment is slower, probably to encourage you to upgrade. My mom has it so I'm on her account. I regularly see emails saying the order shipped within 12 hours of it being placed. I know before I had that, whenever I used the free shipping it was 2-4 days before it shipped. When they say delivery in 5-7 days they really mean it.

Prime or no? I think the non-Prime order fulfillment is slower, probably to encourage you to upgrade. My mom has it so I'm on her account. I regularly see emails saying the order shipped within 12 hours of it being placed. I know before I had that, whenever I used the free shipping it was 2-4 days before it shipped. When they say delivery in 5-7 days they really mean it.
This must be what it is. My delivery is usually 11 days.

Was it fulfilled by Amazon or one of their sellers? I've noticed delays when it's marked In Stock but is coming from an affiliated seller vs. coming from one of Amazon's distribution centers.

I can see their warehouse from my living room window. We usually get things delivered the next day.

takes at least a month for most stuff from there .thats if it gets here at all .all with prime . i only used it to buy things with a gift voucher . it was a living nightmare for all concerned .1 item ended up being bought off ebay .

Prime here. Always smoking fast.
Me too, BUT, as was mentioned earlier some 3rd party vendors seem to take their sweet time. I have noticed in the last couple of years USPS has been the carrier of choice around my parts and that's fine with me. My mail always runs on time at 10:30 everyday so I know what time my shipment is going to be delivered.
If its UPS, it could be at 8:00 that night depending on how they run their route.
Plus, I like my mailman. He knows to handle my records and stuff with care and always lays the boxes down instead of pitching them.

Many years ago, when I first started ordering from Amazon, seems like I would frequently have the package at my door in 2-4 days. I almost always choose Amazon as seller or fulfilled by Amazon. Don't often go the third party route. The past year or two, seems it's 4-7 days before it even ships. Depending on the item, I now , usually check out other retailers that ship quicker.

trouble we have is they use the courier that will not deliver here . there doesn't seem to be any way to change couriers . with ebay you can contact seller to ask to change couriers and they always oblige .

Prime or no? I think the non-Prime order fulfillment is slower, probably to encourage you to upgrade.

After I let Prime lapse (wasn't using it enough) my Amazon shipping speed became something like watching grass grow. They'd wait up to a week before taking things off the shelf in the warehouse. I switched a lot of shopping to eBay. Quick shipping and real incentive/recourse via feedback.

Now that Amazon has concluded they're not getting me back on Prime, shipping speeds have improved considerably. YMMV, most likely.

Chinese Takeout Cookbook, LOL. Clear out some of those neighborhood cats. But Amazon seems to be growing way too fast for their service.

View attachment 1098716

Example of what I am talking about.
Picture taken 01/26/18
Still not shipped.

Chinese Takeout Cookbook: Favorite Chinese Takeout Recipes to Make at Home (Takeout Cookbooks) (Volume 1)
Chang, Lina
Sold by: Amazon.com Services, Inc.
Glad you posted a screen shot of this. The tracking page is a change they made around the holidays and I'm not jiggy with it at all.
Liked the former one a whole lot better.
Also, I've noticed eBay has changed theirs and not for the better either.
2 examples of changing something up that was just fine to start with.

Back
Top Bottom