Do you accept phone calls from strangers?

Do you take phone calls from strangers

• Total voters
I am amazed when I get those "I am calling from Microsoft Technical Support, you have errors on your computer...." calls, and they lead you though opening event viewer - and try to tell you how terrible all the errors are. For the first couple of times I went along with it, then one guy decided I had a WiFi error - an argument then ensued as I told him the PC in question wasn't connected via WiFi. A couple of times I tried pulling rank on them and announcing that I have been a computer and server systems engineer for 35 years, and I am Microsoft certified (all of which I am), and asking them "do you want to continue"? - if they carry on I ask them "what is the IP address of my PC"? - that is usually enough to make them realise that further discussion will be futile. :)

Other times, for a change, I just tell them I am running Linux. :D

I am amazed when I get those "I am calling from Microsoft Technical Support, you have errors on your computer...." calls, and they lead you though opening event viewer - and try to tell you how terrible all the errors are. For the first couple of times I went along with it, then one guy decided I had a WiFi error - an argument then ensued as I told him the PC in question wasn't connected via WiFi. A couple of times I tried pulling rank on them and announcing that I have been a computer and server systems engineer for 35 years, and I am Microsoft certified (all of which I am), and asking them "do you want to continue"? - if they carry on I ask them "what is the IP address of my PC"? - that is usually enough to make them realise that further discussion will be futile. :)

When I`ve taken that scam phone call, I asked them which of my properly functioning (10) Win 10/8.1/7 OS computers that I own/use has this problem, they then terminated the call, and haven`t called back !! :thumbsup:

Plus, I run Spybot`s free anti beaconing program setting`s maxed out, which seems to even block MS snooping on my non sharing/remote disabled/non network connected to each other machines.
Nice try, "Bub" !!

It’s better to set up a separate email account that can be deleted just for contacting those you don’t know.
Years ago(early 2000`s) I bought that anti telemarketer Zapper device from Radio Shack and installed it on my wire line .
It seem to work very well with that digitally stored telephone disconnected sound bite that played after being triggered by the first ring and worked great for a few years until.......
These two things are related. ;)

Use a Google account and apply for a free Google Voice phone number. I have to read the help files again, but you can send that "disconnected" tone and message to callers that are either blocked or flagged as spam. I do not put a message on the voice mail greeting; instead, it uses the default greeting: "The Google Voice subscriber you are trying to reach is not available." Any messages left are then converted from speech into text, and I can glance through them in a quick second or two, vs. having to listen.

Want that in your home? Use this VoIP adapter for Google Voice: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BUV7C9A/

As you can have more than one Google Voice number, you can use one as your "throwaway" for those times when you are required to give a phone number, just like having throwaway email accounts. I like using it since I never give out my "real" wireless number. Outgoing calls I make via the Hangouts Dialer--quality is every bit as good as my wireless carrier calls (Project Fi).

The really odd thing is that on any of my Google Voice numbers, I've rarely ever had telemarketing calls. The only ones I get on my main GV number are related to places I have done business with. One number I use for professional purposes (job offers and such), and I have only ever received wrong numbers on that one. My "business" GV number, likewise. :) I don't know why these escape the telemarketers, but I'm not complaining!

Back in the nineties~ 2010 times, at least here in NE. FL. I just advised all human solicitor`s to permanently put my telephone # on their "do not call list" and that failure to do so will result in legal action, as permitted by Federal Law..
Not many realize that a failure to ignore our request to not call back is a federal offense; proof of it can result in them being fined, I think $1,000. Trouble is, so many calls now originate from outside the US that it is not enforceable.

I also thought it was against federal law for solicitors to contact anyone via the cellular network, just like it is against federal law to send junk faxes. The idea is that if the call costs the recipient anything (minutes used on a cellular plan, paper/toner used in a fax machine, etc.), it is not permissible. It still never stops anyone.

The "convenient lie" always works. :D Maybe once or twice a year, I'll be approached in person for some home improvement. "No, I do not own a home," is all they need to hear to stop bothering me.

Best time I recall was my buddy at work getting into an argument with a telemarketer selling water filtration devices. It got to the point of the two of them getting a bit heated under the collar. I guess the ultimatum was, "That water is going to kill your child!" My buddy replies, "Big deal! I can make another one!" ...and hung up the phone. :D

That was at work, so we had to answer all the calls. The best method we had was to put them on hold indefinitely, wasting their time. Usually 30 seconds to one minute later, they'd hang up. Worked every time! And for many it was easy to tell. "Can I speak to the person in your company who...." was all we needed.

We just switched to T-Mobile a couple weeks ago, and they have a scam guard feature. I was wondering what was going on when I'd see Scam Likely as the caller on caller ID.

Just found out yesterday, you can actually block those calls from coming in at all so you don't get disturbed by them at all. Nice feature!

That was one heck of a useful post. Thanks very much.

Gonna let one of my cell accounts lapse now!
I could get into more detail if needed, but GV is worth a try--it costs nothing to use. :) Google Voice numbers forward to any number of phones that you want, and will also ring through via the Hangouts app. (I use the official Hangouts Dialer app to make calls.) Put it through its paces before letting the cell account go. With GV, you can set it up so that when it rings through, it will show either your GV number as the caller ID, or the caller ID of the person calling. I have it set to the latter.

I don't see any reason why I can't accept a phone call from a strange number. My friend can use a strange number to call me.
A stranger may call me for some important situation.

Thankfully, the phones have been very quiet here lately when it comes to BS calls.

Sirius XM is the only one that won't give up. Jeez, you buy a car that has that feature available, and they are relentless with the calls and letters.

They were told very politely that we weren't interested at least twice. Then more sternly they were told that we weren't interested and we demanded to be taken off their calling list, which they insisted they would do. The last time, I got a fairly nasty, and I even asked if she understood effin' English when I said we don't want ANY more calls from them. If there is a next time, I will threaten legal action, even if there is probably none that can be taken.

Don't know the law in the U.S. but certainly in Canada there is a federal do-not-call list with hefty fines for companies that violate it.

http://www.lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/en
I know we got on "the list" many years ago when it first came out. Maybe you need to re-sign up for it at some point? I don't know. At one point, the nonsense calls got bad for a while. If the DNC list actually kept anyone from calling, I'd hate to have seen what it was like without being on it.o_O

I know we got on "the list" many years ago when it first came out. Maybe you need to re-sign up for it at some point? I don't know. At one point, the nonsense calls got bad for a while. If the DNC list actually kept anyone from calling, I'd hate to have seen what it was like without being on it.o_O
At the worst of it I was getting 10 to 20 calls a day,then I went on the crtc do not call list and am down to 1 or 2 every 6 months.

At the worst of it I was getting 10 to 20 calls a day,then I went on the crtc do not call list and am down to 1 or 2 every 6 months.
Wow. It was never quite that bad here. Unfortunately, out DNC list has never been anywhere near that effective.

Sirius XM is the only one that won't give up. Jeez, you buy a car that has that feature available, and they are relentless with the calls and letters.

The solution I've found is a wooden stake driven through their heart.
Use a solid, hefty maple mallet, preferably cryo-treated.
To be on the safe side, cryo treat Sirius/XM too.
Please report back to us with your results.

We still keep a landline. I honestly cant remember the last time I used my cell phone. Dont really need one. I still get shit calls on my cell, but since i dont even have it in the house, its no big deal. I used to get real pissed when we got those robo calls. We would get quite a few every day. When my wife and I were in our local Sams club, I looked at a new phone system. It promised to eliminate robo and telemarketer calls. We bought it and got it up and running. We put the phone numbers of the people we WANT to talk to into the phone. If their number wasnt in there, the phone would actually screen the call and never even ring. These last couple of months have been pure bliss not having our phone ring with unknown numbers. The Do Not Call list actually worked when it first came out, but now, it is absolutely useless. None of these sleazebags care about it or are afraid of it. If I didnt recognize a number, I didnt answer. Now, I dont even see a strange number in my Caller ID because my phone rejected their call and never rang. It is amazing that a company stepped up to the plate and did something about this growing problem of scammers and telemarketers intruding into our lives. They ALWAYS wait until they know you are home, typically around 8PM to bother you.

We keep a landline because of hurricanes and every single unknown call I have answered... and I mean EVERY UNKNOWN CALL has been some scammer. From trying to sell me water filters to asking for donations to stupid political robo calls, it's amazing.

I answer the phone, but if it is clicking like an automated call, I simply hang up. If someone asks my name, I ask who they were calling. If they don't answer quickly, they get a dial tone. If a live person begins a spiel, I hang up. Every now and then we get legitimate medical calls in which they insist on me confirming that I am me, which I won't do until they tell me who they are with, as I know the names of those we use. Some won't do even that, and tell me about HIPPA laws, to which I reply that, as a retired RN, I understand HIPPA laws, which are ostensibly for patient protection, and that forcing me to confirm my id does the opposite. Then they either tell me who they are with, or have to call back later. Later it's usually a different person with some sense who will admit who they represent. Strangers get nothing from me on the phone. Often I'm screening, anyway.

Most of the time I don't. But those rare times I do pickup the phone on someone I don't know, i'll usually screw with them since I know
its a telemarketer i'll say Bob's Texaco bob speaking! Or say Tippy's canoe Tippy speaking. I've even said Bob's fun house as well haha.

Gets them every time I do!

I don't answer the phone - I use the call back dialing on the phone that uses the caller-id number.

That cuts out a LOT of the scammers that won't leave their real number.

If I contact someone annoying - my standard routine is very neutral on identity - and if annoyed, then my question to them is what is the address of the body pickup for the morgue?
They have reached the "Official Business only, direct dial in line for the county morgue, for priority body pickup - sorry I was contaminated and could not touch the phone".
Usually all I hear is a "click"...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom