Harbeth Owners Thread

Jack - I am with you. The fact that it was subtle is a good thing in my view as well.

Roadie - I have never had the pleasure of hearing ATC speakers but sure like what I read. To me there is just something magical with British designed and built 2-way speakers. Hard to explain until you hear it. Then frustrating to not capture it in your system.

Although many of the brands seem expensive, for me it is a question of value and longevity.

I have added a JL Audio d110 sub to the mix. I used Crisco's pictures to experiment on placement, I have mine off to the left and slightly forward of the speakers. I am really pleased with the sound so far and believe I can probably still tune and refine a bit. The d110 is a 10" sealed sub with a 700 watt class D amp I have set the cross over at ~50hz with the C7ES3 speakers. I have tried to keep the volume set to where the bass does not call attention to itself. I really am enjoying the added heft at the bottom octave(s), and the sub is fast enough to stay up with the Harbeths.

Cool! Glad that addition is working for you. That extra heft in the bottom end really does add something special on certain tracks doesnt it?

A Harbeth 30.1 owner here who is also looking to supplement the sound with a subwoofer. Crisco I am glad to hear you found something that worked. This is my biggest worry that I buy a sub and it doesn't integrate well.

A Harbeth 30.1 owner here who is also looking to supplement the sound with a subwoofer. Crisco I am glad to hear you found something that worked. This is my biggest worry that I buy a sub and it doesn't integrate well.

Buy 2 subs (or more) = better sound and easier to integrate. :thumbsup:

Jack - I am with you. The fact that it was subtle is a good thing in my view as well.

Roadie - I have never had the pleasure of hearing ATC speakers but sure like what I read. To me there is just something magical with British designed and built 2-way speakers. Hard to explain until you hear it. Then frustrating to not capture it in your system.

Although many of the brands seem expensive, for me it is a question of value and longevity.

Well said Stuart. Perhaps sometimes, when the stars align, and both of us are in Ohio I can help you out with hearing them. I have both the SCM7s and the 11s.....

I probably would be if I could afford them. I just bought a pair of ATC7s and 63 days later I went for the 11s.
,,,r1

I said the heck with it, found a perfect pair on you know where and went for it. They're everything positive I read about. I could gush about them. They are magic.
...r1

I said the heck with it, found a perfect pair on you know where and went for it. They're everything positive I read about. I could gush about them. They are magic.
...r1

OK, we need to hook up one of these days. Congrats.

I'm about to get my basement setup together and the starting point to choose from out my stored gear is all older (B&W 602, a couple of Marantz amps, some Dynaco speakers, Lenco L75 TT, etc). That being said I'm very tempted to go back for an all British setup like my main rig (Elicit-R, BW 805N, RP3 TT).

There's nothing quite like the excitement of getting to setup a new room and build a new system! There will obviously be a big TV in the room, a 2-channel setup, at least 1 TT and some sort of streamed audio (possibly moving my HTPC down or a Raspberry PI). I'm very tempted to go all British again, with C7ES from Harbeth at the top of my list. Any interesting amp combinations for those speakers? If you guys were heading down this road, what would you be looking at?

If it was me, I would try to audition current, but used, Harbeth P3, C7 and 30.1 speakers as well as Dynaudio Confidence C1 and S1.4 Contour speakers. I think your room and associated electronics would come into play. I have to say that I am totally satisfied with my C7 and Exposure gear.....although it always makes you want more...

I have to take the Harbeth down a notch. My KEFs came this morning. They really are everything I've read about them.

I exchanged the C7-ES3s for a pair of 30.1s. Excited for the change but also sorry to see the C7s go. They were my introduction to the Harbeth sound.

Reactions: DC
Thanks. Here is a quick picture of the new set up and how the smaller 30.1s compare with the C7-ES3s.

Attachments

• IMG_0490.JPG
    IMG_0490.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0487.JPG
    IMG_0487.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0489.JPG
    IMG_0489.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 98
Back
Top Bottom