What I learned on Craigslist

^^^ :rflmao:

For posterity: It's a center channel with both its 6" drivers removed.

CENTER CHANNEL POKEAUDIO MODEL NUMBER CSIA6

THIS CABINET HAS TWO REAR DEFLECTION SOUND PORTS

AND A FRONT LOW BASE 1 INCH TUBE PORT

*AND ANY 6 INCH SPEAKERS (X2) TO BE RE USED AS A CENTER CHANNEL

*OR ANY 6 INCH SPEAKERS (X2) TO USE AS A RIGHT/LEFT CHANNEL CAR LOUD BOX
TO SIT ON THE BACK SEAT OF A CAR.

No idea why a speaker would have two ports in the rear and a 1" port in the front. Is it missing a second tweeter? Or is that tweeter in its own enclosure with a 1" port? Why would you put a port on a tweeter. So many questions.

I've always wanted a CAR LOUD BOX though, I gotta tell ya.

I'd grab that Sherwood S-3000 tube tuner for $50.

Meanwhile my cragslist searches here in Alabama are flooded with ads for late model trucks, cars, tractors, and RVs all for sale for ridiculous low price of $1000 or $2000. Somehow they contain invisible keyword spam and no listing numbers. All ask for a reply to a gmail address. Usually say "if you are still interested email me at . . . ." I've been flagging for days and have reported it to CL.

Anyone else see this? What kind of scam is it?

Meanwhile my cragslist searches here in Alabama are flooded with ads for late model trucks, cars, tractors, and RVs all for sale for ridiculous low price of $1000 or $2000. Somehow they contain invisible keyword spam and no listing numbers. All ask for a reply to a gmail address. Usually say "if you are still interested email me at . . . ." I've been flagging for days and have reported it to CL.

That was going on around here for a long time, and probably still is, I imagine. At least a year or more by now.

Everyone else was catching on that they were scams, because a lot of the listings were flagged and removed right after they were listed. It didn't help, though. They were listed as fast as they were removed.:mad:

Last edited:
That was going on around here for a long time, and probably still is, I imagine. At least a year or more by now.

I was looking for a truck earlier this year, and there were days I flagged around 100 listings, sometimes more. I could tell just by the looking at the title, without even clicking on it which ones were a scam. That's how many there were and how similarly they were worded. Nearly all of them were shiny newer vehicles that looked like they were just detailed, with super low miles, a lot of times with aftermarket wheels on them. The photos were always taken in sunny places, sometimes with palm trees in the background, and listed for ridiculously low prices like $1000 or $2000. There are lots of palm trees in PA, you know.:rolleyes: Also MANY listings for the same vehicle. They usually had a Gmail address and/or a fake phone number.

I tried calling several of the phone numbers from my disposable Tracfone, as I was going to tell them to knock it the f*ck off:rant:, but the numbers didn't go anywhere.:rolleyes:

Everyone else was catching on that they were scams, because a lot of the listings were flagged and removed right after they were listed. It didn't help, though. They were listed as fast as they were removed.:mad:

That's just terrible...:mad:

I see this a lot for computer equipment.

All I can think of is that they are collecting phone numbers for resale or use for direct spam. When I first saw them I responded to a few, but only with a disposable phone number. Never got a response.

All the time, back when I was looking at used cars. The email was always posted on the photo of the vehicle.. The price was always well below market value, with an odd value like $2,633. The photos were often of very poor quality, like when you save and re-save a JPG file in an image editor and it degrades each time. I flag them also, but nobody else does, and the ads remain up.

The only thing scam-worthy I can think of is if these sellers try to coax buyers into sending them a deposit or the full payment before seeing the car.

Or this one has phone and email, but $1800...? Uh, no. The 231 area code is from Michigan, but anyone can get a free VoIP number from various sources to appear as though they are local. Look at the mangled listing title. The pics and text are probably copied from someone else's legit ad.

upload_2018-1-29_12-5-28.png

I know they harvest email addresses (although it's harder with CL's anonymizing feature) so I wouldn't put it past them to harvest phone #s. I wonder what happens if you call.

Years ago I answered a strangely worded ad for housekeeping services and it turned out the person on the other end wasn't offering those at all. It was the days before anonymized CL email. After a couple exchanges he flat out admitted he was collecting email addresses. I called him a spammer. He said "I'm not sending anyone spam, I'm just collecting email addresses and selling them." Duh. A$$ho!e.

I reported the spamming to CL last night. Since mid morning, no more have been popping up here. Maybe reporting it worked.

Here's one that seems to defeat the purpose of speakers, notably good sound.
One pair of beautiful vintage teak slim bookshelf speakers. Measure 18.5" tall, 11" wide and only 5" deep. These are fine furniture grade teak speakers, with silver grey smooth weave grills, white spatter painted backs. Danish style. I used these empty unmarked speakers and put 8" full range GRS (Pioneer style) drivers in them, along with high quality speaker wire connectors on the back. Not hi-fi by any means, but very beautiful and sleek 1960's style modern. If you want a showpiece pair of speakers, these are it!

Here's one that seems to defeat the purpose of speakers, notably good sound.
One pair of beautiful vintage teak slim bookshelf speakers. Measure 18.5" tall, 11" wide and only 5" deep. These are fine furniture grade teak speakers, with silver grey smooth weave grills, white spatter painted backs. Danish style. I used these empty unmarked speakers and put 8" full range GRS (Pioneer style) drivers in them, along with high quality speaker wire connectors on the back. Not hi-fi by any means, but very beautiful and sleek 1960's style modern. If you want a showpiece pair of speakers, these are it!
Link?

Back
Top Bottom