Favorite Programming Languages

What Are Your Favorite Programming Languages?

• Java

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • C

Votes: 16 31.4%
  • C++

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • Python

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • C#

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • JavaScript

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • Visual Basic .NET

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • PHP

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Delphi / Object Pascal

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Assembly Language

Votes: 15 29.4%

• Total voters
All with a whopping 16 KB of internal RAM accompanied by a cartidge slot for additional programs... Here's the model I received for Christmas in '85:

View attachment 1060894
Image per wikipedia.org

I spent hours upon hours having fun with BASIC on this bad boy...
And the carpet in the pic looks really cool too! (I remember those toys... my first (personal) machine was an LNW a clone of the TRS-80 that could also run CP/M)

Here is what I taught myself on, an HP-85 computer, with a built in display, tape cartridge to hold the programs, and a thermal printer to make printouts. I built a little limited production/engineering test rig around this little dude:

hp85-2.jpg

HP Basic, was a good language to start with. It was nice to get paid, and create something of value, while learning.

Enjoy,
Rich P

This thread is like a time machine! Amazing! I remember programming on an HP-85!

Started programming on a TI-99/4a and TI Basic... in 80s at HS I learned Apple's version as well as Pascal and Fortran 77. Spent some time being taught C++ in later years... while working for Apple as presales tech.

That said I've been in admin roles on both *nix, classic mac, and windows enviroments. I script... not program.

My current gig is in DevOps on windows and aws... I'm quite enjoying Powershell 5

In my early days, I had to program just to create documents. On my PDP-1103, I created documents with Digital Standard Runoff, which required code to be embedded in the document, which got interpreted at print time. If you turn on codes with WordPerfect, that is what a document looked like with Runoff.

And scripting is programming also, for the scripter statement made up thread. Heck, the kids game, Sims, is programming. Just a taste and some folks get hooked for life. I'm badly hooked.

Enjoy,
Rich P

I loved WordPerfect when it came out. Simple, logical and flexible.

Started programming on a TI-99/4a and TI Basic... in 80s at HS...
HOT DAMN!! How could I possibly have forgotten about the TI-99? The TI-99/4A model was the main microcomputer used in the school disctrict in West Michigan in which I attended elementary and junior high school during the 80s. Thanks for the memories, James.

Last edited:
My first paid programming job was revising code written in Turbo Pascal 3 on an IBM PC AT, to take data from a connected Scan-Tron 2100 OMR Data Terminal and save it into a formatted ASCII data file.

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
And scripting is programming also, for the scripter statement made up thread. Heck, the kids game, Sims, is programming. Just a taste and some folks get hooked for life. I'm badly hooked.

Agreed but I don't begin to think I'm in league with the programmers I maintain enviroments for. I just automate tasks and parse data :)

My first paid programming job was revising code written in Turbo Pascal 3 on an IBM PC AT, to take data from a connected Scan-Tron 2100 OMR Data Terminal and save it into a formatted ASCII data file.

View attachment 1061023
Turbo Pascal - JUST before my time. During my school daze I inherited a genetic algorithm written in Modula 2. A DOS command line executable. I made it as "graphical" as I could using BIOS calls to the video card. One of our "industry partners" wanted it in a REAL GUI so he gave us Borland Delphi 5 to use cuz Modula 2 was so similar to Pascal. I'm still using the Free Pascal Lazarus to this day for hobby fun.

All with a whopping 16 KB of internal RAM accompanied by a cartidge slot for additional programs... Here's the model I received for Christmas in '85:

View attachment 1060894
Image per wikipedia.org

I spent hours upon hours having fun with BASIC on this bad boy...

In 1982 I started on that same TRS-80 Color computer with the 6809 microprocessor but an earlier grey version

There was a magazine called "The Color Computer" by a guy named Dennis Kitsch
I bought every issue
I learned assembly thru a package he sold that 'splained it all to you
The magazine went bust after a couple of years

A couple of years ago, I internet found Mr. Dennis Kitsch and thanked him for my 30 year career in computers
He was pleased

Years ago when I was programming we purchased a suite called Powerhouse that was a 4th generation language.

I mostly used Quiz to write reports quickly and easily.

I remember studying vacuum tubes and relay programming, by cracky! YOU KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

(Kidding, kidding... I know how you feel...) :beerchug:

haha... my first programming class was with the punch cards... had to carry the stack clear across campus at Wayne State University to get them compiled. I remember being in a hurry and dropping the stack... ahhhhhhhh! The very next year they modernized...

I'm the only guy who put in a vote for Python. OTOH I had an epic rant yesterday at work about Python and people were amused.

haha... my first programming class was with the punch cards... had to carry the stack clear across campus at Wayne State University to get them compiled. I remember being in a hurry and dropping the stack... ahhhhhhhh! The very next year they modernized...
I hear you. My first formal programming class was in high school. We would punch them out then the teacher would run by the school district's main building to process and we would get them back the next day with results.

Nice turnaround, eh?

We learned rapidly to REALLY check for syntax errors. Heh.

Back
Top Bottom