Powder coating

centexguy99

Grumpy Old Hermit
I have quite a few tops to various items that are scratched up. (I purchased them this way over the years...) Anyway, there is a local fellow who can powder coat them and make them look like new. Has anyone tried this? If anyone is in that industry what is a fair ballpark price to sand blast and powder coat 8 misc amp/tuner/pre-amp lids? Input is appreciated.

I have quite a few tops to various items that are scratched up. (I purchased them this way over the years...) Anyway, there is a local fellow who can powder coat them and make them look like new. Has anyone tried this? If anyone is in that industry what is a fair ballpark price to sand blast and powder coat 8 misc amp/tuner/pre-amp lids? Input is appreciated.

Please post back on your experience if you end up trying your local guy's powder coating service. I'd love to know whether and how (and how much) amp and receiver cases can be made whole again. I'm getting pretty good banging the dings and dents out of them, but the scratches defeat me.

Couldn't tell you much on equipment cases, but my local took a wrought iron two-seater wide glider apart and did the sandblast powder coat and such for a c note.

It wasn't this particular design, it had more intricate detailing around the top and arms, but it'll give you the general idea. It was all reassembled and delivered.

Very nice work, and should last many more years.

814603013462.jpg

I've powder coated stuff using my friends shop set up with fairly good results. Small items like handles and brackets looked great while cabinet parts were pretty good. The professional shops have bigger ovens with better temp control along with techs who are more experienced prepping, spraying and then running them through the oven.
At my job we send a lot of very expensive wheels to be powder coated and the shop we use does flawless work. I've seen much less than stellar results come in from other places.
Before committing to having your top cover blasted and coated by a particular shop I'd ask to look at other work they've done and judge for yourself.
My friends small powder coating setup is mostly used for tools that he machines and sometimes for race motorcycle parts. They look good for what they are but they aren't showpiece grade which is fine.
If you want something that looks perfect you need to find a place that is willing to do that type of work.

I used to supply powder coated top covers for various Yamaha amps and control amps. The guy that was giving me a super deal over in Webster City,IA was killed in a auto accident.:( RIP John.

For those that want to try DIY powder-coating, Eastwood sells kits. I have not tried this, myself. So I cannot comment on the finished quality. But, it looks interesting.

I just had (2) transformer end bells coated professionally and was charged $10. And while this is much smaller than a top cover, I would suggest that between $40-$65 would be a reasonable professional fee. Much higher and I would seek additional quotes.

IMG_0589.JPG

I had a commercial french fry basket powder coated. (Long story!)

Local guy charged $25.00.

It has been in various chemicals daily for 5/6 years now and the coating is in great shape!

If you opt for a gloss finish...Powdercoat is and amazing fingerprint collector.

I use powder coat paint where durability is paramount and I'm always very happy with the results
In my area prices vary considerably from shop to shop

I've had top covers for DIY gear that I've built and also for mainstream gear I've refurb'd professionally powdercoated with a textured black finish. Powdercoating is far more durable than a home painted finish is ever going to be. I've yet to scratch or chip the powdercoated finish on any of the pieces I've had coated. Here's a link to one of my DIY amps that I had the covers powdercoated.

I have had a bunch of receiver, tuner, and amp covers powder coated. It's expensive, I think I paid $30 bucks last year for a cover, but it is light years more durable than any paint, no matter how carefully you do your surface prep.

I'm thinking of buying one of the sub-$100 Chinese kits. After seeing the results with using a heat gun or toaster-oven to fuse I'm impressed.

I'm thinking of buying one of the sub-$100 Chinese kits. After seeing the results with using a heat gun or toaster-oven to fuse I'm impressed.

This is what my friend is using and it does work nicely.
I think to get nice results you just need practice. I found it hard to know when everything was coated well as it mostly looks the same after it gets some powder stuck to it but you can definitely tell if it's got different thickness sprayed after it's been baked.
All in all a great thing to have around.
I'd just experiment with something junky before doing one you like. That stuff is STRONG and doesn't want to come off. I used Aircraft Remover on a few things I've done over as it gives you a huge head start. Otherwise you'll be spending an hour in the blasting cabinet trying to get that stuff off mm by mm.

Back
Top Bottom