TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

Sweet! What type of power supply did you order and where did you find it?

I bought a Mean Well NES-350-36 [actually 36V 9.7A] from Parts Express. Costs a little more through them, but I needed a few other things as well, and wanted to be able to easily return it if It doesn't work. According to one review it works best adjusted down to 32V. Comes with a power cord which, strangely, doesn't have a ground leg.

PE also sells another similar unit for $20, but looks like you'd probably need to replace the original fan as it's apparently very loud.

If anyone wants to give the FXAudio TPA3250 a try, you can get it for $58 with power supply shipped using a $10 off $50 eBay coupon.

Breeze/Nobsound users, this is a significant upgrade, IMHO, even over one with the gain mod.

Update = code may not be working anymore, but this is still a solid deal at $68, given that is with the power supply and shipping.

From Slickdeals
eBay.com is offering an extra $10 Off $50+ Orders w/ promo code ULLDGJZQBCCH9VLH or promo code UBG6CJ2JJBGVHYYG (apply in cart) and checking out w/ PayPal Checkout.

Last edited:
I bought a Mean Well NES-350-36 [actually 36V 9.7A] from Parts Express. Costs a little more through them, but I needed a few other things as well, and wanted to be able to easily return it if It doesn't work. According to one review it works best adjusted down to 32V. Comes with a power cord which, strangely, doesn't have a ground leg.

PE also sells another similar unit for $20, but looks like you'd probably need to replace the original fan as it's apparently very loud.

Anyone explain why linear power supplies are so much better than the lap top bricks that are sold with these amps (like from YJ, etc.) and is there a difference between "linear" power supplies like Astrons vs the switching mean well supplies. Any one recommend a currently available 19v or 24v linear supply with enough amps for the 3116 amps that wont break the bank?

Hey all, I feel like Donnie from the Big Lebowski asking this question at the end of a 333 page thread, but I need some help. I have 86db 6ohm speakers in my system. My main amp of 17 years is always in the shop and I'm fed up with fixing it. I don't have a huge budget, which brings me to this thread. Since I have less sensitive speakers, I was thinking of a bi amp setup using two of the following amps:

2 x smsl sa-98E TDA7498E chip

2 x Volt + TPA3118 chip

2 x Nobsound Mini Dual TPA3116

2 x FXAUDIO FX502SPRO TPA3250

Any thoughts on how these amps or any chip amps for that matter would perform in a bi amp setup? I have a Maverick Audio DAC with two simultaneous outputs for bi amping. I've also considered one of the cheaper tube preamps and a passive distributor like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M18QM6...AC&pd_rd_r=FR1TAKANM408A1T2FDFF&pd_rd_w=qIyPa

Right now I'm running my back up amp, a Rotel 1062 that sounds pretty bland and lifeless. It's 70watts per channel and plenty loud, but again, pretty clinical sounding. I think I can do better for less. Any advice and guidance is greatly appreciated.

I have had 3 of the four you list. I would not recommend the SMSL at all, too much hiss. I have not tried the Volt, so I can't comment. Of the remaining two, I'd recommend the FXAudio first, then the Nobsound if you do the gain mod.

Have you heard other's accounts of the SMSL reporting the same amount of Hiss? I can't seem to find others reporting the same findings about that amp, that doesn't mean they're not out there. I don't think a little hiss would even be heard with the noise floor in my home, lol. Big fish tank, twin baby boys, dogs ect...

On the Nobsound, if I were to run a pre in front with the knobs all the way up, would that eliminate the need for the gain mod? Anybody running the Nobsound without the gain mod who is satisfied?

I have a very quiet house, so the SMSL hiss was too much. Plus once I knew of it I didn't want the amp and thankfully was able to return it.

The gain mod on the Nobsound/Breeze is to lower the gain. It also lowers the noise floor significantly. Even without the gain mod, the hiss was less than the SMSL.

Like I said, I'd recommend the FXAudio the highest of what I have personally tried. At about $65 shipped with power supply, it isn't much more than you'd pay for the Nobsound once you factor that in and the sound is better.

I haven't tried the dual Nobsound on a portable disc player line out, but the generally low level I've had from those may work well with it.

I haven't tried the dual Nobsound on a portable disc player line out, but the generally low level I've had from those may work well with it.

I apologize in advance, but I'm not following what you're trying to say. Or you are speaking of the low level from the Maverick DAC? That's encouraging if so.

Last edited:
Hey all, I feel like Donnie from the Big Lebowski asking this question at the end of a 333 page thread, but I need some help. I have 86db 6ohm speakers in my system. My main amp of 17 years is always in the shop and I'm fed up with fixing it. I don't have a huge budget, which brings me to this thread. Since I have less sensitive speakers, I was thinking of a bi amp setup using two of the following amps:

2 x smsl sa-98E TDA7498E chip

2 x Volt + TPA3118 chip

2 x Nobsound Mini Dual TPA3116

2 x FXAUDIO FX502SPRO TPA3250

Any thoughts on how these amps or any chip amps for that matter would perform in a bi amp setup? I have a Maverick Audio DAC with two simultaneous outputs for bi amping. I've also considered one of the cheaper tube preamps and a passive distributor like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M18QM6...AC&pd_rd_r=FR1TAKANM408A1T2FDFF&pd_rd_w=qIyPa

Right now I'm running my back up amp, a Rotel 1062 that sounds pretty bland and lifeless. It's 70watts per channel and plenty loud, but again, pretty clinical sounding. I think I can do better for less. Any advice and guidance is greatly appreciated.

I wouldn't bi-amp unless you're willing to scrap the passive net work and replace them with an active crossover.

This is my setup and I'm loving it. Sainsmart 6n3, TPA 3255 from TI, meanwell 48v 350 watt, and cases from Michaels, used with my ESS amt3. Going to add plexiglass lids to keep out the dust and little fingers. The sound is awesome, clear, dynamic and awesome soundstage etc.

Attachments

• IMG_20180131_111004.jpg
    IMG_20180131_111004.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 71
This is my setup and I'm loving it. Sainsmart 6n3, TPA 3255 from TI, meanwell 48v 350 watt, and cases from Michaels, used with my ESS amt3. Going to add plexiglass lids to keep out the dust and little fingers. The sound is awesome, clear, dynamic and awesome soundstage etc.

Very nice! I have decided to build a simple power amp using the Sure Electronics AA-AB32191 2x300W TAS5630 board from Parts Express with this power supply: Mean Well MW SE-450-36 36V 12.5A 450W AC/DC Switching Power Supply based on advice from the PA tech staff in trying to achieve 100-120w of clean power. I also ordered a SainSmart 6n3 preamp to experiment with.

As I understand the TASS5630 is an outdated board. Since this is my first class D experience, I have no frame of reference. That said, I wanted to go with Parts Express because I can simply return it and try something else if I don't like it. I can see this becoming addicting.

Thanks for the advice kind people.

I rotate my Nobsound NS-04G into service in the summer. This year I plan to put a mini DSP 2x4 HD into the signal path. Will have a CCA as the source using the DAC in the mini. L&R outputs to the Nobsound and a third output to a sub. Using the mini DSP remote to control the output. Setting this up is my winter HiFi project.

Last edited:
Thank you, it was a fun project and for under $350 cdn(apprx $20 American! Lol) the new gear value/performance is through the roof on this setup.

I am going to build an amp out of one of these boards sometime soon. I have used the Sainsmart 6N3 tube preamp (not in use now because I have no amp to use it with), thanks to the recommendations here.

I came here just to let everybody know that I haven't been able to find the Sainsmart 6N3 tube preamp KIT anywhere, any longer. It was $37 on Amazon at one point.

Now, I'm only finding the assembled version. Still not a bad price, ranging from $78-99, but I liked the $37 option, since I already built a case...well, more like stained a wooden box from Michael's and drilled a few holes, lol...

Anyone buy a Sainsmart KIT preamp recently or find a link where you can still buy the kit rather than the fully assembled unit?

Back
Top Bottom