new HT receiver or pre?

currently using a Marantz SR6005 as the pre for my HT system ( using it to power the sides and rears of my 7.2 system). I'm deliberating on do I replace it with another receiver, or go to a pure preamp. If I go with a pre, I could use some advice on which one.... If it helps, I'm using KEF Reference 5 speakers for the fronts and a 4C for the center. And a Krell S1500 to bi-amp all three. Have a Sunfire 5 x 200 that I can use for the sides and rears if I go pre... your thoughts would be appreciated. Marantz? Emotiva? Macintosh?

no probs with the 6005, but would like the updated Audussy system.... and thinking maybe buying a "better" unit.... also would like to move up from 7.2 to 9.2 or even 11.2 at some point. System is used for music at least 40% of the time, but no interest in adding a 2 channel pass through pre.

Agree on Audyssey, it's a capable though far from perfect system. Supposedly there's an upscale level where the "installation expert" can go more hands-on to ensure a more perfect EQ, but I don' t know the details of getting on the inside. Perhaps, another AKer...

I don't get the channels to the sky. AFAIK, the flicks are still overwhelmingly mastered to good ol' 5.1 (though .2 makes good sense to me) and I've never heard a DSP simulation I thought was worth a crap.

The problem with TOTL receivers is you're buying new amps you don't need all the time just to get the latest decodes and software features. You might just want to take a look at a decent pre-pro since you're already (mostly) set with outboards. Also, seems like the video/audio feature wars are finally dying down. Lotta folks gonna pass on that big move from 11.2 to 15.4, I'd guess. Good luck with your search.

Last edited:
The problem with getting an AV processor is that it too, is obsolete in a few years and it typically costs 2x as much as a comparable AV receiver in terms of features so you probably don't save any money although you may get better sound.

You have to ask yourself some questions. Do you want the latest surround formats? Dolby Atmos, DTS:X and Auro-3D, these will require extra speakers or at least a reconfiguration of existing ones. The 'new' formats are primarily movie oriented to better locate objects in space.

If not, then you have a choice of somewhat older models that do include Audyssey XT32 & SubEq. It's unclear if you have sub(s) which would probably be a good upgrade, if you don't. I'm currently using a Denon AVR-X3300 which I got as a refurb for <$500 from Accessoriesforless which has the Audyssey features you want.

I didn't notice that you indicated you wanted to add speakers so you probably want one or all of the new formats, but a refurb is still a viable option of getting a recent model with most of the current features.

thanks for the thoughts and sharing the expertise. Budget is around $5K . I'm using two subs in my current system; a HSU vtf-15u and an EMP DSA-250. Large room 20 x 20 with a cathedral ceiling and large doorway into the room. When I built the room I wired it for about anything, so no problem adding a few "smaller" speakers. Will do some reading on Anthem processor. I like the point though of staying with a receiver....

I don't get the channels to the sky. AFAIK, the flicks are still overwhelmingly mastered to good ol' 5.1 (though .2 makes good sense to me) and I've never heard a DSP simulation I thought was worth a crap.

Afaik, far as .2 goes that's just marketing hooey. There are no two independent LFE tracks so all .2 means is two sub/LFE jacks. Maybe there are cases where the levels can be set separately, I don't know, but one can do that with two subs anyway and a $2 "Y" splitter.

Afaik, far as .2 goes that's just marketing hooey. There are no two independent LFE tracks so all .2 means is two sub/LFE jacks. Maybe there are cases where the levels can be set separately, I don't know, but one can do that with two subs anyway and a $2 "Y" splitter.

Agree no explicit provision made in source for .2. Reasons for adding a 2nd sub are many (as are the problems they bring), but the point here is that advanced room correction software DOES have provision for separate EQ for each sub, therefore ability to tailor overall room response to optimize the "fit" of that 2nd sub.

Agree no explicit provision made in source for .2. Reasons for adding a 2nd sub are many (as are the problems they bring), but the point here is that advanced room correction software DOES have provision for separate EQ for each sub, therefore ability to tailor overall room response to optimize the "fit" of that 2nd sub.

Some may, but like anything it needs to be confirmed for the specific unit of topic. .2 does not inherently suggest separate anything beyond two outputs.

Some may, but like anything it needs to be confirmed for the specific unit of topic. .2 does not inherently suggest separate anything beyond two outputs.

Don't be a pedant. With his TOTL bent—he also stated he's looking for the latest Audyssey room correction capability—the OP is certainly aware of 2nd sub EQ even if you are not.

Don't be a pedant. With his TOTL bent—he also stated he's looking for the latest Audyssey room correction capability—the OP is certainly aware of 2nd sub EQ even if you are not.

Many people read these posts besides you, me, and the OP so it is wise to be sure people understand not make unfounded assumptions. It happens quite frequently.

I like the explanation of 2 vs 1 sub.... In my application 2 were necessary.... made a big difference in evening out the sound. It's a very "lively" sounding room with untreated floor to ceiling windows on three sides.... and even in stereo mode the room correction makes a great deal of difference. And yes, it's wonderful to finally be in a position to lean toward TOTL equipment and now have the time to enjoy it! FYI, my man cave system is also pretty darn nice, but is 75% vintage....

Yeah, I have two subs in my setup too running off a Marantz AV7005. It has multiple sub outputs but the same signal comes out of both (well, all four, actually, if you count the balanced outputs too). That is in contrast to the AV7703 or 4 I've been eyeballing that has multiple sub outputs that are independent with Audyssey Sub EQ HT. Not sure how much advantage there would be though since my current arrangement has the two subs stacked/co-located.

AV receivers are not known for their amp sections. So if you are Happy with your speakers and you want to optimize the performance for once and for all, buy the correct amp or amps for the speakers just once and then update the processor as new formats come along. If you want to add more channels you can with out compromising your original amp or speakers. If you are still thinking about changing speakers or rooms then investing in the perfect amps may not be the best choice for you now. My amps are going to be 10 years old and I'm on my third MX series HT processor. I have skipped 7 different HT processors. I would have had to buy 10 different units to keep up with the Jones. As is, I bought 3 and could have survived with two. If I believed in the latest Atmos format and 4k video I guess I could purchase the 4th one. But 8k is right around the corner with another new sound format, so I will wait and see. I by- passed Quad, with SQ and QS, Dolby analog surround and early dolly digital, so surpassing Dolby Atmos is no big deal. I also bypassed Elcassette. 8 trks, 4 trks, tape cartridges. . But I did enjoy DAT, DBX, FM Radio with Dolby,. I kept my previous power amps over 35 years. I could have up graded once during that period but I was working and traveling a lot and didn't see the need. When I went into the Home theatre, I bought two extra small speakers amps. that I used for 5 years. Then I upgraded to two Seven channel amps. Having 7 two channel amps just wasn't logical, price effective or space conscious. Why 14 channels. Well I tri- amp the the left and right , bi-amp the center and rear s leaving 2 channels for the for the sides. I also have 8 more channels for remote speakers, and electro static headphones.. In case your wondering you need 10 db more sensitivity or power for out doors than you do for in doors. Ever heard of room gain, that's why.

Back
Top Bottom