Will a Lexus SC 300 appease my mid-life crisis ?

A Maybach 57 would appease my midlife crisis. :beatnik:

Meanwhile you can get them for less than 60000 Euros, still too expensive for me. :( ;)

:beerchug:

I wrote down his tag number, but I can't bring myself to say anything. He's in his late eighties, with a handicap tag. He has trouble walking, and he has that same look in his eyes, like my dad. Dad has Alzheimer's/Parkinson's.
I know, it's really hard to do something in that case. When I have a nicer car, I try to park away from a lot of traffic. Although that often doesn't stop some bozo from coming along and still park next to me, even if other close spots are empty!

I did once have someone leave a ding in another car of mine back in the 80s, right while I was sitting in it. To be as polite as possible, let's just say she looked like she overindulged the bon-bons for way too many years. Gets out, whips that door open into mine without a care in the world, then trudges her way off to wherever. I think the nasty look I gave her was enough. Like she even cared. That was the same car that was keyed when it was only a week and a half old, when I had it parked near one of my favorite record stores. That was (and still is) typical of the "Detroit mentality." Others around here just don't like it when someone owns something nice, so they have to deface it.

I don't know. Maybe "midlife crisis" comes earlier for you millennials than it does for us boomers but for me anything less than a 60's American muscle car just won't cut it.

I want to own something I drooled over as a youngster but couldn't afford back then.

It sure as hell wasn't any rice burner. lol

I wanted USA muscle. How about a '68 Plymouth GTX 440 Magnum, or a '69 z/28. Maybe a 1970 Chevelle SS454 or a '69 Mach I.

A freakin' Lexus (or any other rice burner for that matter) wouldn't even make my top 100 list for a midlife crisis vehicle.

Wow. New member comes in spouting racial bs... Rice burner? Have you ever driven a Lexus? The Japanese have been making fine automobiles for a long time. Check out the totl Toyota Supra. Might not fit the bill of a "muscle car" but you also won't see one with a confederate flag pasted to its hood.

I owned a 1992 SC-300 for a while.

I only purchased it because it had 5 speed manual.

Rock solid motor in it.

Decent car. Wasn't too good on gas and required premium.

Lighten up MR,
We all feed our wants differently.
Also a '69 z28 might set you back 50gs and require constant maintenance.
Nothing wrong with wanting whatever floats your boat .
To paraphrase
One man's Lexus is another man's hemi cuda

Wow! I think you're the one who needs to lighten up Lazuraus. Calling a car a rice burner isn't meant to be racist there dude. And what's with the Confederate flag BS? That sounds kind of racist to me.

It appears to me like you really didn't want anyone to respond to the question you posted unless they agreed with you 100%. You asked if a Lexus would satisfy your midlife crisis. I answered your question honestly. It wouldn't be one I would pick but heck for all I know a Yugo might fit the bill for some (you're probably too young to remember them too).

Next time I see you ask a veiled question on here I won't respond unless I totally agree with you OK?

I’ll chime in, the SC is a great car and it’s getting difficult to find a clean one with low miles.
That one has low miles and appears very clean.

Well as usual I’m late to the party!

Congrats on the SC!

Last edited:
I don't know. Maybe "midlife crisis" comes earlier for you millennials than it does for us boomers but for me anything less than a 60's American muscle car just won't cut it.

I want to own something I drooled over as a youngster but couldn't afford back then.

It sure as hell wasn't any rice burner. lol

I wanted USA muscle. How about a '68 Plymouth GTX 440 Magnum, or a '69 z/28. Maybe a 1970 Chevelle SS454 or a '69 Mach I.

A freakin' Lexus (or any other rice burner for that matter) wouldn't even make my top 100 list for a midlife crisis vehicle.

Then your missing a GREAT amount of awesome cars and experiences with your narrow mindedness... feel sorry for you.

The SC300's are beautiful, love the white. but they do beg for attention maintenance wise. Hope you get yours straightened out! When I had my Stealth twin turbo, or BMW 3 series, both were OCD clean, and when parking a mile away from everyone there was always that one guy who'd park an inch from my door, ugh...

My last two builds were ratty builds, fast and ugly, I'd park those things anywhere and not care. A great relief!

Notice I said what I would get. To each his own. 20 years from now when this question is asked the replies will probably include electric or self-driving cars.

Anyway, my response was not meant as an insult or anything. Sorry if it came off that way. You younger guys will obviously pick different cars than us older guys will. I've past my midlife crisis but am still in love with the stuff I couldn't afford when I was young. I think that's the way most people are.

Wow. New member comes in spouting racial bs... Rice burner? Have you ever driven a Lexus? The Japanese have been making fine automobiles for a long time. Check out the totl Toyota Supra. Might not fit the bill of a "muscle car" but you also won't see one with a confederate flag pasted to its hood.

I don't take it that way. I call 'em rice burners too meaning no slight by it. My car is a kraut burner.

Wow! I think you're the one who needs to lighten up Lazuraus. Calling a car a rice burner isn't meant to be racist there dude. And what's with the Confederate flag BS? That sounds kind of racist to me.

It appears to me like you really didn't want anyone to respond to the question you posted unless they agreed with you 100%. You asked if a Lexus would satisfy your midlife crisis. I answered your question honestly. It wouldn't be one I would pick but heck for all I know a Yugo might fit the bill for some (you're probably too young to remember them too).

Next time I see you ask a veiled question on here I won't respond unless I totally agree with you OK?

It was I who posed the question in the title of this thread, not Lazarus Long.

I had no intent to start a consensus thread, read all 6 pages.

I'm 53 going on 54.

I don't know what that age translates to in regard to generational media-hype stereotypes. I fall in between Baby Boomer and Generation X; born in 1964. I have no idea what 'millennial' means. I tried to read about it, but it seemed like gibberish.

I owned a '64 GTO. I've driven several muscle cars. I don't have any interest in owning another, but to each their own.

Thanks for bumping my thread. I've put 20k miles on the SC300 since this thread was started, and I'm still loving it. It's going to start costing more money than it's worth.

The SC cars are a good value, they're a Supra but cost 5 times less.

Last edited:
American cars vs Japanese has always been kind of like Ohio State vs Michigan (well maybe not quite that intense). American Graffiti vs The Fast & The Furious.

I'm only a couple years older than you and if I were to win the Powerball this Wednesday or something like that, I'd probably have to run out and buy a new Vette and/or a Dodge Demon. That's not to say my daily driver might not be a foreign car.

I have to admit that I was shocked though to have someone accuse me of being a racist because I called a Lexus a "Rice Burner".

I mean if you scroll down this page you'll see a thread entitled, "Any other bikers here? Rice Rocketeers Included". It has over 7,000 views and not one person has accused the OP in that thread of being a racist.

lol

On the other hand, I have several midlife projects myself and one is a vintage Japanese motorcycle I'm restoring. I plan to post some pics in the appropriate thread.

I'm kind of the same with home speakers when it comes to buying big vintage models that I couldn't afford when they were new but can now. It's kind of nice that they are a lot less-expensive now too.

Notice I said what I would get. To each his own. 20 years from now when this question is asked the replies will probably include electric or self-driving cars.

Anyway, my response was not meant as an insult or anything. Sorry if it came off that way..

Gotta remember Mucho, things get lost in translation on the internet. Welcome to AK (first time I've seen ya around)

The answer to the question in the title is NO.

My life is still sucking. I enjoy driving the Lexus, though.
I would too. That's a lot of quality car! Sorry the life is still sucking, bro.

Any Mazda Miata
I dropped the top on mine Sunday, and drove about 100 miles. It was splendid. Oh, and she has about 195k on her.

Congrats to the OP for getting a nice SC to scratch that mid-life itch. I have a friend who just bought another Lexus that might appeal more to the muscle car crowd - the RC-F. The 2015's are on the dealer lots now off a 3 year lease and about half MSRP. Give them another few years and they'll be down into the range many of us could jump at.

I will say...that motor is...awesome! It's a monument to naturally aspirated goodness and it revs (and pulls) like a sport bike. I didn't know i wanted one until I got a ride in it. Wow...

jblnut

Back
Top Bottom