Nu Finish

kaplang

Works for me !
Usually use a Meguiars product but have a full bottle of Nu Finish and am considering using it. Can anyone that has used Nu Finish tell me what you think of it. I'm in southern Ca. and it hardly rains and never snows.

Thanks,
George

Orange squeeze bottle? It was years ago...and I mean YEARS ago when I last used it. What I recall is that it worked really well on a heavily oxidized finish, bringing a weather-beaten red finish (fire dept vehicle) from a flat orangy red back to glossy red. Smelled as though it had a lot of solvent in it. Was not so miraculous on a better finish.

Usually use Meguiars myself ;)

I haven't heard great things about it - but I've never used it myself. Checkout autogeek.net (no affiliation, other than I've spent a ton of money over the years at their site).

If you have swirls in your paint, any type of hand applied polish will most likely not do much to the paint. Modern clear coats are hard and require a machine polish to remove swirls. If you're looking to to it yourself, pick up Meguiars polishing kit at autogeek. It's really nice and would be sure to get out most swirls in your paint. These polishers are NOT rotary polishers that will burn through your paint. These are modern dual action polishers that are very easy to use, even for a weekend detailer who's never used one before. I have one from Griots Garage and polish my GTI once a year with it.

Meguiars MT300 DA Microfiber Correction System Complete Kit

https://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-da-correction-kit.html

My dad used NuFinish on all his cars when I was a kid (70s-80s). It made the paint shine again by removing a layer of old paint.
It will work well on older cars, but I have heard you should not use it on more recent cars with Clearcoat finishes.

^ What he said. I've used it and it worked well on paint surfaces, but I would not use it on a clear coat since it does remove some of the finish by design.

Yeah it's almost more of a polish but it does go on and come off easy and it lasts a very long time. Great for the older rides...I use it on my old Volvos (2006 and 1994).

jblnut

I've used primarily Meguiar's for years myself. Lately it's been the 105 and 205 compounds, plus #26 Yellow Wax. I use an orbital buffer to do the work, except in the rare instance something is really wrong and I have to get out a rotary buffer to correct it. Sounds like Nu Finish is more for older vehicles prior to clearcoating.

I use it on my f150 circa 2003 ,works great and the shine lasts a long time.Easy on easy off.Use it ,it will not hurt your car ,you only have to use it once a year .I would not hesitate to use use it on a brand new vehicle its not like its stripping clearcoat off by the coat.Old wives tale.Ive been using it for about 10 years and my paint is still great.I also have a container of amour all paste wax which is very good also and its always on for 1/2 price.Ive noticed lately nufinish is increasing in price and barely ever goes on sale vs the amour all which seems always on sale.I find the nufinish is easier to apply and easier to buff and is very very slick .

used it many years ago. it does have an abrasive so be careful if your wax, and your finishing
and cleaners have an abrasive, and you clay your car.

5 or 6 things that remove your clear coat each and every time you cycle through.

I'd use only one abrasive and that would be the clay and look for a low abrasive one
since you're doing this often.

then I'd look at Rejex. marketing says used on American military jets (which beats
all other jets in dog fights like in "Topgun" and the upcoming "top Gun 2")

kidding aside. rejex lets you slide across the hood like in movies.

However, a while back Nu-Finish was used in one-pass lubrication/protection when trying to
extract music/sound off a deteriorating R2R (and the occasional cassette tape)
but see tapeheads for the latest in case you move it from the garage to the audio system.

However, a while back Nu-Finish was used in one-pass lubrication/protection when trying to
extract music/sound off a deteriorating R2R (and the occasional cassette tape)
but see tapeheads for the latest in case you move it from the garage to the audio system.

That's how I came by a bottle of Nu-Finish, treating some tapes with SSS. Found the procedure on Tapeheads and it worked.

I've tried it on the oxidated 50 year old Maroon original paint on my 67 Belair and it didn't do much. Last summer I found an old partial container of Turtle wax rubbing compound and man did that stuff work well. I guess they don't make it any more because I looked all over the city for it to no avail. :( I only had enough to do the roof and trunk lid.

I've used primarily Meguiar's for years myself. Lately it's been the 105 and 205 compounds, plus #26 Yellow Wax. I use an orbital buffer to do the work, except in the rare instance something is really wrong and I have to get out a rotary buffer to correct it. Sounds like Nu Finish is more for older vehicles prior to clearcoating.

I've used 105/205 combo. Works great, but you do have to be ready for splatters. And those splatters dry hard as a rock - ask me how I know!

oops. I meant their other products. the nota benes still holds. unless you have super hard clear coats.

If you have nice paint to begin with, my go-to procedure that will last a year is at least one coat of Meguiars #7, hand rubbed, followed by their pure carnauba paste wax. The #7 gets out and fine swirls and scratches and makes the paint look like glass.

Nufinish gets an urban legend kind of bad rap bob.If used properly its a great product.Kind of reminds me of the legend of of I put premium in my 87 octane car it will run better etc.Total hogwash but the myth still lives on.Take the time to read my link guys its pretty informative.

I will be changing the way I do my truck as I was doing it wrong and anything to keep her good is ok by me.

I think NuFinish can stain trim, so be careful around black plastic when applying it.

It's a 1984 Volkswagon Vanagon that is the original two tone blue paint. I don't drive it much. Mostly to Home Depot for lumber when I need it or to an estate sale when I get something that won't fit in the trunk of my Camry. I think I put less then a 1000 miles on it last year. A good paint job would be nice but it would cost more then the van is worth. Today I rubbed out the roof with some rubbing compound and applied some Nu-Finish. It beads up when wet and that is what I want to protect what is left of the 34 year old paint job.
The NU-Finish went on and off easily and I will do the rest over the week end.

Back
Top Bottom