Any Reel guys interested in a tape swap?

I am tempted to get in on this. (I know I have said that before). I would have to dust off my Akai GX635D to do four track recording.

I sent off the 4 track recording headblock for my Technics to JRF for re-lapping and should have it back next week so I'm ready to go for such a swap!

Interested too in a 7" 7.5I IPS 4 track swap. Biggest challenge will be thinking about and picking some good cuts to record. Strictly vinyl or whatever we got goes?

Last edited:
As previously stated, there are enough for a swap but need someone to step up and run it. I don't have time for such a task, too much going on with travel and HS lacrosse starting soon that I coach.

I only make tapes from vinyl, but others do vinyl, CD, digital files.....so yea whatever.

I'd like to be a hero and step right up but work is pushing a lot of projects for completion. I value follow through for this group effort but also my paycheck. :rolleyes:

For what it's worth I see the following have expressed interest:

mkuhl2000
LAB3
Skylab
AlexanderEli
phantomrebel
Catcher10
rs732
stoutblock
Jim Santoro
safebet

I'd like to be a hero and step right up but work is pushing a lot of projects for completion. I value follow through for this group effort but also my paycheck. :rolleyes:

For what it's worth I see the following have expressed interest:

mkuhl2000
LAB3
Skylab
AlexanderEli
phantomrebel
Catcher10
rs732
stoutblock
Jim Santoro
safebet

Right now I can only do 2 track. My 4 track recorder is out of rotation right now.

I've got an Akai 630D-SS that I've been planning to do some 4-channel tapes! I plan to mix-down a few DTS 5.1 cds to 4-channel Quad sound. Moody Blues-Days Of Future Passed, Steve Miller-Fly Like An Eagle, Steely Dan-Aja, Steely Dan's Two Against Nature DVD live, Police-Greatest Hits. Also some DVD-Audio discs to 4-channel sound, Eagles-Hotel California, Fleetwood Mac-Rumours, Metallica-Black album. Then I have a nice collection of quad 8-tracks including Edgar Winter Group-They Only Come Out At Night, Judy Collins-Best Of, Gordon Lightfoot-Sundown, Jeffferson Airplane-Worst Of, Bachman-Turner II and others. Also just picked up Best Of The Guess Who by Mobile Fidelity on cd with the original quad sound remastered!

I can do quad too, 1/4 inch 7.5 or 15, but was still hoping to get this current 7.5 ips 4 track stereo swap off the ground. There's close to a dozen or so with interest and I've begun making selections based on that format.

Might be wrong, but my guess is there would be fewer takers for a quad swap but that may be to advantage; to get a smaller group rolling more quickly.

Do you guys realize this swap thread has been going on for the better part of 12 years? I've been in & out a couple of times. It is a lot of fun. I'd like to get back in if it ever morph's into recording unique & rare albums in their entirety, vs mix tapes. Just a thought.

Hey Meggy IIRC I was on a tape swap with you and several others a few years ago. We need someone to to start another round but out of the three I was in, two of them went great but one round went for a year it seemed,several dropped out and tapes were lost. I am retired so I would like to join another round, maybe some of the others that was in with us like Catcher 10 etc will see this and post up.
Louis

^ Yeah, remember there was also a 10" round? I lost one there but no big deal. You're right there was one that went for a good year. The snail mail really stretches things out. I think we finally committed to UPS or PO Priority or something.

Well I got my 4 track back into rotation. It looks like the interest is in 7”, 7.5 ips 4 track? Maybe after the summer?

I would participate in another, but I’m not going to organize another. I ran several of these here, and it’s not like it’s a lot of work if things go smoothly. But we had the one where one of the participants went rogue and just kept a few of the tapes, didn’t send them on and wasn’t replying to messages. I did finally get him to forward all the tapes, but it was a train wreck.

Most of the swap rotations have gone on without a hitch though. The key is to never send out a tape you’d be heartbroken not to get back, and then it’s all fine.

I would participate in another, but I’m not going to organize another. I ran several of these here, and it’s not like it’s a lot of work if things go smoothly.

From your experience, what might be an ideal range for number of participants?

Back
Top Bottom