Pics of your listening space

Sounded good then and sounds good now!

I sure enjoyed it back in the day!

I was about 14, and he was 11 years older. His room in the basement was a classic '70s bachelor pad, with a waterbed and everything. The Bose were driven by a Marantz receiver, a Garrard Zero turntable and a Dual cassette deck. He used to let me use his hifi after school and before he came home from work. I have a particularly happy memory of hearing "Rubber Soul" for the first time on that rig one afternoon.

Last edited:
I keep telling myself that one of these days, I'm going to buy a pair of 901's. The two times I heard them, they were playing Pink Floyd's Money and Dire Straights' Money for Nothing. Both times, I was highly impressed at the overall sound, but more importantly, how loud they could get and the amount of bass they were capable of.

I keep telling myself that one of these days, I'm going to buy a pair of 901's. The two times I heard them, they were playing Pink Floyd's Money and Dire Straights' Money for Nothing. Both times, I was highly impressed at the overall sound, but more importantly, how loud they could get and the amount of bass they were capable of.
They're lots of fun for sure. I've had two pairs. Series IV's in the 70's and Series VI's since 2009. People love to bash 901's, but I have certainly enjoyed mine.

Please don't make sport of my wife's legs :):)

Audio-Technica AT-ART9 phono cartridge, direct 1877 Phono Tonearm Wire, Pro-Ject 9cc Carbon tonearm w on the fly VTA, Sutherland KC Vibe, Krell KAV-250a (recently factory re-capped and serviced). Magnepan 1.7 at 4 ohms thats 500w pc.

It's been a journey. I've gone full circle over the last 15 or 20 years. Way back when I built a new mantle with internal wiring provisions and a Sam Maloof inspired walnut stereo cabinet to conceal the gear for a nice, clean look. A Niles IR repeater allows control with out the need for what would be out of place glass doors on the cabinet. Speakers are NHT SuperTwos, SuperCenter & SubOne up front and SuperOnes for the rears. I set up a dedicated room for the main system in my signature in an extra bedroom upstairs and it was wonderful for a couple of years before I had to work in Atlanta for 2 years. I took my Beovox M70's with me and put together a nice system with an Optonica RP 3636 and a Jolida integrated. The first year I was alone for the first time ever. Married at 18 forty years prior, the independence was intoxicating for a while - no TV, no one to accommodate beyond consideration of neighboring apartments. The solitude became unbearable loneliness and after a year I had my wife quit her job and join me for the second year.
We returned home last April and I found I didn't enjoy my music room like I had before. I had had enough solitude in Atlanta to last me for the rest of my life. I did miss the system though. Come July I had a hip replacement and my wife and grandson moved the big system into the living room since I couldn't do the stairs. It was great to have the DQ-10 magic back, but the equipment had dominated our living space. I realized that the gear had even become a distraction to the music. Spending so much time in the living room these past months I was reminded of how much time, effort and money I put into making the room "clean". I could say high WAF, but it's really high HAF, so a couple of weeks ago while my wife was at work I "rescued" our living room from the big system clutter and returned it to what I really want. As it turns out she likes it to.
The SuperTwo's when opened up sound much better driven by a lowly Yamaha AVR than they should. They don't image or have the detail of my B&O's, let alone the DQ's but I'm enjoying them again. Where they lack is in 65-70 dB listening level which is what my wife prefers, kinda flat and lifeless. I don't like the way they look so I will likely move them along in favor of my B&O's or I may re-cabinet them in mahogany in the style of Green & Green as if they had speakers in 1906 ;). The Mac in the pictures is just a test mule for Volumio or Daphile to see how I like it before I buy an Intel NUC or Mac mini as a headless server which will go in the cabinet along with the Schiit stack leaving just the TD 125 out in the open. After the 30 year wait I thought the DQ-10's were going to be my end game speakers, but now I don't think so. When the upgrade bug bites again, and it surely will, I may seek some Braun LV-1020's which were the other ones that got away back in the day when this journey started. Then again I think I could share my space just fine with some B&W 802 Diamonds as well. Time will tell as the audio journey continues. Thanks for listening. Nobody else I know gets it.

Before:
IMG_0168.JPG

Restored:

2639B941-1CBF-469E-8385-77474CBDE17C.jpeg

EED1AC81-6C98-4741-928B-B179221E0F52.jpeg

CA1D3389-3618-4D65-BACF-30670D9D4F3E.jpeg

Please don't make sport of my wife's legs :):)

Audio-Technica AT-ART9 phono cartridge, direct 1877 Phono Tonearm Wire, Pro-Ject 9cc Carbon tonearm w on the fly VTA, Sutherland KC Vibe, Krell KAV-250a (recently factory re-capped and serviced). Magnepan 1.7 at 4 ohms thats 500w pc.

Are you wearing pants here

It's been a journey. I've gone full circle over the last 15 or 20 years. Way back when I built a new mantle with internal wiring provisions and a Sam Maloof inspired walnut stereo cabinet to conceal the gear for a nice, clean look. A Niles IR repeater allows control with out the need for what would be out of place glass doors on the cabinet. Speakers are NHT SuperTwos, SuperCenter & SubOne up front and SuperOnes for the rears. I set up a dedicated room for the main system in my signature in an extra bedroom upstairs and it was wonderful for a couple of years before I had to work in Atlanta for 2 years. I took my Beovox M70's with me and put together a nice system with an Optonica RP 3636 and a Jolida integrated. The first year I was alone for the first time ever. Married at 18 forty years prior, the independence was intoxicating for a while - no TV, no one to accommodate beyond consideration of neighboring apartments. The solitude became unbearable loneliness and after a year I had my wife quit her job and join me for the second year.
We returned home last April and I found I didn't enjoy my music room like I had before. I had had enough solitude in Atlanta to last me for the rest of my life. I did miss the system though. Come July I had a hip replacement and my wife and grandson moved the big system into the living room since I couldn't do the stairs. It was great to have the DQ-10 magic back, but the equipment had dominated our living space. I realized that the gear had even become a distraction to the music. Spending so much time in the living room these past months I was reminded of how much time, effort and money I put into making the room "clean". I could say high WAF, but it's really high HAF, so a couple of weeks ago while my wife was at work I "rescued" our living room from the big system clutter and returned it to what I really want. As it turns out she likes it to.
The SuperTwo's when opened up sound much better driven by a lowly Yamaha AVR than they should. They don't image or have the detail of my B&O's, let alone the DQ's but I'm enjoying them again. Where they lack is in 65-70 dB listening level which is what my wife prefers, kinda flat and lifeless. I don't like the way they look so I will likely move them along in favor of my B&O's or I may re-cabinet them in mahogany in the style of Green & Green as if they had speakers in 1906 ;). The Mac in the pictures is just a test mule for Volumio or Daphile to see how I like it before I buy an Intel NUC or Mac mini as a headless server which will go in the cabinet along with the Schiit stack leaving just the TD 125 out in the open. After the 30 year wait I thought the DQ-10's were going to be my end game speakers, but now I don't think so. When the upgrade bug bites again, and it surely will, I may seek some Braun LV-1020's which were the other ones that got away back in the day when this journey started. Then again I think I could share my space just fine with some B&W 802 Diamonds as well. Time will tell as the audio journey continues. Thanks for listening. Nobody else I know gets it.

Before:
View attachment 1102932

Restored:

View attachment 1102935

View attachment 1102937

View attachment 1102938

I remember the "before" picture from not long ago when you first posted it. The new arrangement looks much cleaner (to be honest with you, I have never been a fan of gear blocking the fireplace) and elegant.

You are right, we get it. May the upgrade gods be with you.

Best

Soundork

I remember the "before" picture from not long ago when you first posted it. The new arrangement looks much cleaner (to be honest with you, I have never been a fan of gear blocking the fireplace) and elegant.

You are right, we get it. May the upgrade gods be with you.

Best

Soundork
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom