Mytek Brooklyn opinions

Tdogzthmn

I've been thinking about using the Mytek Brooklyn as the centerpiece for my music system. I mostly use active speakers so the Mytek would allow me to simplify things by acting as my DAC and phono stage.

Ive really enjoyed the sound from the Musette DAC I use but I would be willing to forgo slightly better sound for the added convenience of using the Brooklyn DAC.

Anyone have experience with the Musette and Brooklyn DACS?

There's a massive Mytek Brooklyn thread over at Head-Fi.
In the 'Dedicated Source Components" section.
Eric

I've been thinking about using the Mytek Brooklyn as the centerpiece for my music system. I mostly use active speakers so the Mytek would allow me to simplify things by acting as my DAC and phono stage.

Ive really enjoyed the sound from the Musette DAC I use but I would be willing to forgo slightly better sound for the added convenience of using the Brooklyn DAC.

Anyone have experience with the Musette and Brooklyn DACS?

No experience with the Brooklyn, but do you play redbook or hi-res through the Musette? If redbook, do you upsample?

I mostly use Apple Music streaming through the optical output of my TV for the source. I have played some of my hi resolution music through Roon and sounded fantastic. I find the convenience and sound quality of Apple Music to be very good.

Well, the Musette is a NOS DAC, and thus it is a bit soft sounding on streaming sources which are normally 44.1kHz/16bit compressed. Also the Musette has no jitter correction and optical out of a TV probably adds to the softness. I'm going to speculate but you should expect a different presentation from the Mytek, more forward and detailed.

If you like the Musette sound so much and can stretch the budget a bit more there's the Jade from Metrum which is supposedly a big step up from the Musette and has volume control + remote, balanced outputs. Metrum has an MQA add on board in the works, if this is something you might be interested to add later on. No phono or DSD stage however.

I have the Musette and it is my favorite DAC thus far, it is a good listen but in my opinion despite it being 16-bit only it really shines with hi-res or properly upsampled redbook material. The Jade is definitely on my wishlist, but I'll wait until they trickle down to the used market.

I did find some good threads on other audio forums. General consensus is that the Mytek sounds very good given it’s flexib and feature set.

I don’t see any other devices that offer a dac and phono stange with balanced XLR outputs. Which is exactly what I’m looking for.

I’m moving away from a traditional hifi system towards using active studio monitors. The Mytek would enable me to greatly simplify my system which is a goal.

I don't know how they punch relative to the Mytek but there is the Emotiva Stealth DC-1/SP-1 stack, sure it is 2 boxes instead of 1, but it has what you're after and has more analog inputs that may come handy. Won't do DSD and MQA though.

Last edited:
I do wish the Brooklyn had AES/EBU digital output but otherwise it checks all the boxes of what im looking for.

Back
Top Bottom