Will a Lexus SC 300 appease my mid-life crisis ?

LOL...he's keeping it for a winter rat...we need a rust car here in the salty north east to keep the summer car intact.

jblnut

Congrats to the OP for getting a nice SC to scratch that mid-life itch. I have a friend who just bought another Lexus that might appeal more to the muscle car crowd - the RC-F. The 2015's are on the dealer lots now off a 3 year lease and about half MSRP. Give them another few years and they'll be down into the range many of us could jump at.

I will say...that motor is...awesome! It's a monument to naturally aspirated goodness and it revs (and pulls) like a sport bike. I didn't know i wanted one until I got a ride in it. Wow...

jblnut

always had respect for the toyota V8, even if only in a handful of models, the 5.0 powerband is wicked smooth and everything just feels.. right. Had a friend with a ISF it was a SICK car! instant lust for life, and they are so rare on used market

headers and exhaust make it orgasmic..

My son has a real job now and recently bought his first car. Low mileage used. He was not impressed with what is out there for the price. I love with what he came up with. 2016 Genesis Coupe. Neat car of a sort that is dying off. Two doors. Big V-6. Rear drive. Manual transmission.

348 HP, 8 speed automatic, and rear drive, this car is a riot. Looks great. Color is silver, which subdues the styling a little. You don't see many of them out there. A lot of car for the money: $17.5K with 20K miles. I told him that car will be desireable for as long as it can stay on the road. Kids in elementary school now will kill for a Genesis Coupe when they come of age.

He has no interest is a Mustang. Asian or German. I think they feel the Mustangs are just too common and often driven by old people.

We leased an Accord Coupe last year with the V-6. What a killer ride. Yes, both the coupe and the V-6 are gone now as well. We will probably buy it in the end. Last of its kind.

The only crisis breaker for me would be a Morgan

menu44.jpg

My son has a real job now and recently bought his first car. Low mileage used. He was not impressed with what is out there for the price. I love with what he came up with. 2016 Genesis Coupe. Neat car of a sort that is dying off. Two doors. Big V-6. Rear drive. Manual transmission.

348 HP, 8 speed automatic, and rear drive, this car is a riot. Looks great. Color is silver, which subdues the styling a little. You don't see many of them out there. A lot of car for the money: $17.5K with 20K miles. I told him that car will be desireable for as long as it can stay on the road. Kids in elementary school now will kill for a Genesis Coupe when they come of age.

He has no interest is a Mustang. Asian or German. I think they feel the Mustangs are just too common and often driven by old people.

We leased an Accord Coupe last year with the V-6. What a killer ride. Yes, both the coupe and the V-6 are gone now as well. We will probably buy it in the end. Last of its kind.

I can't say I love the 3.8 v6 / 8 speed automatic. That was actually a joint venture engine between hyundai mitsubishi & chrysler, its OK. power output is nice and torque is there.

I've driven my friends genesis coupe with the 2.0t and it was sluggish at best. The v6 is 100% worth it, the coupe drives like a sloppy 350/370z, which is STILL a compliment if you've ever driven a Z with proper tires.

not sure how into the performance your son is but some mild lowering springs and more robust anti sway bars transforms the car- lower center of gravity does magnitudes for the genesis coupe.

350/370z have insane instrinsic value even outside of the enthusiest demographics, so your damn right your getting a lot of car for 17.5k. Add about $10k for a equivalent years/mileage 370z

and about the accord- dude the v6 coupe 6MT is such a sleeper!! If honda played around with RWD that would be a platform a lot of people would be interested in.

that 3.5L VTEC pull is real.. I remember the mid 2010s v6 accord coupes having 0-60 times faster than the bmw 335i/audi a5 that year. (I believe the accord was 0-60 is 5.4s) which is obscene.

get this though- the new accords have a modified version of the civic type R's 2.0T. Pistons are not forged, smaller piping, and less boost with a less aggressive turbo. Pretty sick

more info here- https://blog.caranddriver.com/a-tal...ur-in-hondas-new-accord-and-the-civic-type-r/

Last edited:
He is no enthusiast, just wanted a decent driving car with some power and style. Light on the bells and whistles. No touch screens. Entry level vehicles just didn't cut it. VW. Camry. Accord. The nice ones are all $35K vehicles new. Even the POS beater car he had been driving (my old company car) had a healthy V6. 2007 Fusion. You miss that power and feel. Anyway, the Genesis fit the bill. I don't doubt that when this car retires he may keep it around as a hobby platform. It is a good base for a fun ride.

Yes, That Honda 3.5 VTEC is slick. Too much fun for a Honda. We have had it almost a year and I still get the grins. I don't know if there is a difference with weight and drag between the coupe and the sedan, but the coupe is crazy quick from 70 to 100 and above. You have to back off or it really gets rolling.

Ugly as it is, the Civic type R is an impressive piece of engineering. Amazing what Honda can do with front wheel drive.

We keep cars for a long time. Turbos are great, but not an engine I would want to try to keep for 200K miles or 15 years. V-6 on the other hand... I think all the turbos being released are a compromise and the short-sighted result of fuel economy requirements.

Ugly as it is, the Civic type R is an impressive piece of engineering. Amazing what Honda can do with front wheel drive.

We keep cars for a long time. Turbos are great, but not an engine I would want to try to keep for 200K miles or 15 years. V-6 on the other hand... I think all the turbos being released are a compromise and the short-sighted result of fuel economy requirements.

Especially with the electronic adaptive drive train and suspension- which I am against in general. True "non assisted" rack and pinion will always feel more responsive & organic. Inclination to oversteer and torque steer when accelerating due to FWD in the type R are things of the past for the most part..

Your not wrong about turbos. In the grand scheme of the lifespan of the car, your looking at at least 1 turbo replace/rebuild before 200k, usually the seals will go or they develop shaft play. I have seen stock turbos last 200k+ though, larger/more efficient oiling systems and water cooling significantly helps lifespan. I'm anal though and I always give by car 10+ mins to warm up on cold days and always let the car cool down when driving "spirited"

What scares me is the average dude who doesn't bother to warm up his car is now going to be merging onto the highway full boost, with oil thats not even viscous! that exponentially increases wear and tear and "turbo unreliability" down the line... and don't get me started with the "yearly" oil change!

Turbo's aren't nearly as niche as they once were so getting rebuilds on the small turbos they are throwing on every 4 cyl isn't very costly- I got quoted 300 for a full rebuild of my STi turbo, including shipping & port/polish

Unfortunately it seems EVERY development in new cars has to do with short sighted fuel economy, including a handful of mfg's cars consuming oil from day 1, multiple class actions going on with audi & bmw regarding their oil sipping engine designs.

looser engine tolerances = less friction = more mpg, oil consumption

sorry for the tangent, when are you 2JZ swapping the SC?

LOL.

My SC has the 2JZ in it already.

This winter sure accelerated the rust on the passenger side rocker panel / rear quarter.

I may have to start looking at old BMWs.

I guess Beemers rust out, too.

Funny, just stumbled in here. My head's full of useless car info but but not the SC-Supra connection. Makes sense. The 300 5-speed is on my could own unicorn list for sure. Flipping through the thread gives me the itch to save my manual B5 A4 Avant and do those things I've sworn off doing. @nyhifihead WRX kinda stuff.

I may have to start looking at old BMWs.
Yes. E30. If money were a second thought...
Hell yeah
https://jalopnik.com/the-v8-e30-that-bmw-should-have-made-is-truly-wonderful-1797361151

You guys talkin' Accord V-6 Coupes?

View attachment 1107571
Here's my 2011 EX-L V-6 HFP equipped coupe.

clean car man, hopes its a 6 speed. Pet peeve is the chrome trim pieces on those cars, the one by the grille is hideous IMO. looks SOO much better paint matched IMO- not a fair comparison because this car is highly modded but you get the point

2mza6ar.jpg

Funny, just stumbled in here. My head's full of useless car info but but not the SC-Supra connection. Makes sense. The 300 5-speed is on my could own unicorn list for sure. Flipping through the thread gives me the itch to save my manual B5 A4 Avant and do those things I've sworn off doing. @nyhifihead WRX kinda stuff.

Yes. E30. If money were a second thought...
Hell yeah
https://jalopnik.com/the-v8-e30-that-bmw-should-have-made-is-truly-wonderful-1797361151

E30s are obscenely priced nowadays, its getting as bad as the S13/S14 scene. The ones on the road are rusted out and all the mint ones have been chopped up for drift/stance cars!!

Funny stuff I swore I wouldn't do any of this stuff either haha and I'm with you man, these people think audio is a rabbit hole.. wait till you try owning a highly modified performance car haha Worth every second though, and I daily drive mine.

as long as you don't have to depend on that audi to get to work that avant can be very very fun.. assuming you have the 1.8T

The avant is so G. not sure if your ever on audizine but some of those dudes are geniuses. Putting down 220-240whp/220-230wtq just from chipped ecu, tune, intake/exhaust and running E85 on stock turbo!! not a large "dump of money" compared to a lot of german cars attempting to make more power. People can't say enough about the performance vs stock

I secretly wish I picked up the blobeye or hawkeye wrx wagon.. and spent the few thousand I would've spent in theory for the sedan on coils and sway bars/etc to make it ride better than a sedan

life is too short to drive boring cars....

Last edited:
Nope, it's an automatic. Got it to commute in back in early '12 before I got laid off that year. 20 yrs of commuting with sticks did my left knee in. 'Course the 405 Fwy South Bay curve didn't help it either. (One of if not the worst commutes in the world)
I agree with you on the chrome trim in front. Maybe I should talk my son into plasti-dipping it white to see how it'd look.
That black Accord looks nice but is too low for any practical real world driving purposes, at least around here.

Wow. New member comes in spouting racial bs... Rice burner?

I don't know, my own experience is different on that one. I lived in southern California in the late 70s. Japanese guys I knew then called their own motorcycles rice burners. It wasn't pejorative it was more recognition that those bikes were turning the entire motorcycle social order upside down. As in "My little rice burner can beat that.". Later it was applied to cars but I still think of it as a motorcycle term. And as one of both German lineage & diehard VW fan I take no umbrage when my vehicle is called a krautwagen. I actually like that.

/not everything is an outrage

2017 Accord Coupe V6. We got the automatic as well. REALLY wanted and tried to justify the manual. It is the wife's car and a daily commuter... In a nutshell, we could not justify a couple of days of weekend fun for the daily grind of commuting in a manual. I am die-hard supporter of manual gears, however I can see why they have fallen so out of favor.

FWIW, the Honda manual is very smooth.

I don't know, my own experience is different on that one. I lived in southern California in the late 70s. Japanese guys I knew then called their own motorcycles rice burners. It wasn't pejorative it was more recognition that those bikes were turning the entire motorcycle social order upside down. As in "My little rice burner can beat that.". Later it was applied to cars but I still think of it as a motorcycle term. And as one of both German lineage & diehard VW fan I take no umbrage when my vehicle is called a krautwagen. I actually like that.

/not everything is an outrage

True, not everything is an outrage. But, would you or would you not hesitate to say something that could be deemed offensive to African Americans? It really seems like Asians are fair game for stereotypical insults..

2017 Accord Coupe V6. We got the automatic as well. REALLY wanted and tried to justify the manual. It is the wife's car and a daily commuter... In a nutshell, we could not justify a couple of days of weekend fun for the daily grind of commuting in a manual. I am die-hard supporter of manual gears, however I can see why they have fallen so out of favor.

FWIW, the Honda manual is very smooth.
Had I been looking at a car like this 25-30 years ago, it would have had to have had a stick in it. As it was, this one was bought used (it's a former Honda Corp car, our local dealer won it in an auction that Corp put on to see who would get it to sell) with 9600 miles on it. Fully loaded car, my color, wife fell in love with the HFP body kit. "Just look at it compared to a regular coupe. The headlights and tail lights POP on this one." Needless to say she talked me into it.
Now of course, she won't ride in it because it's too rough for her (she got old).
I took it back to Missouri two summers ago, by myself and had a good time with it. For the whole trip I avg'd 28 mpg, and that includes climbing over the Rockies on the way home. It gobbles up interstates like there's no tomorrow.

E30s are obscenely priced nowadays, its getting as bad as the S13/S14 scene. The ones on the road are rusted out and all the mint ones have been chopped up for drift/stance cars!!
Yeah, sucks huh? Here in the Bay Area you can still find minty older cars. Still a few stick 325is to be grabbed. Berkeley Ca. car owners (especially Toyota/Honda) seem to hold onto and take care of their vehicles. Damn speaking of, although in Oakland, my neighbor is still rocking his early 90s Accord. 5' looks brand new, outdoor kept, 500k miles.

The avant is so G. not sure if your ever on audizine but some of those dudes are geniuses. Putting down 220-240whp/220-230wtq just from chipped ecu, tune, intake/exhaust and running E85 on stock turbo!! not a large "dump of money" compared to a lot of german cars attempting to make more power. People can't say enough about the performance vs stock

Funny stuff I swore I wouldn't do any of this stuff either haha and I'm with you man, these people think audio is a rabbit hole..
Why I'm here. Sold my last toy and a year later started collecting vintage audio.

wait till you try owning a highly modified performance car haha Worth every second though, and I daily drive mine.
Respect
Yeah APR and the like can flash that ecu into very reliable power on just 87. 250lbs torque I think. If driving habits were to stay the same I'd wager gas mileage improving too. Scheme of things, $400 no brainer. Mine has the AEB block which can turn out stupid power when credit cards are inserted into it. Unfortunately I've let it sit for almost a year so if I start it up it's going straight to the shop for 3-4x it's value. That asshole on the one shoulder keeps trying to convince me to keep it as I'd just be looking for a wagon project in the future. I'm weird for them. Saving grace might be a 6 speed B6-B7 Avant. Save me from dumping money and just be happy with what it's got.

True, not everything is an outrage. But, would you or would you not hesitate to say something that could be deemed offensive to African Americans? It really seems like Asians are fair game for stereotypical insults..

I guess it would depend on how big of an arsehole they'd just been to me. In general I don't walk around randomly yelling epithets, imagined or otherwise. At least not yet anyway.

Back
Top Bottom