Vintage Fords, Lincolns, and Mercurys!!

Didn't like the big honker on tbe '70 so much.

That 'big schnozz' design trend which seems to have peaked in 1969-71 always amused me.

1970-Spoiler-main1.jpg

9272355-1971-ford-thunderbird-std-c.jpg

The "Big Schnozz" era faded with the advent of the USA mandated 5 MPH bumpers as part of Federal mandated safety standards, just to let you and those not around to know about this. Several cars with really stylish and beautiful front bumper designs got affected by this, the MGB especially so.

The MGB was absolutely ruined by the reg. But it was still selling so they went ahead with it. They actually jacked up the whole car's ride height so that the bumpers would meet regulation height. Not exactly beneficial for a sports car's handling.

Some cars actually looked better though IMHO. Battering rams! Functional as hell though--now we have no bumpers at all and people do a bang-up business repainting urethane 'bumper covers'. The worst are those baleen-whale grilles so many cars have now--Audi started it--no protection whatever and they're a lot more expensive to fix than a urethane cover.

It was all I could do to resist posting a photo of the '69 Grand Prix.
(But this is the Ford thread.) Now that's a schnozz. But I like it actually.

I owned a 1973 El Camino with 454 motor and that car had some bumpers.

One time someone rear ended me at a red light and it barely scratched my bumper messed his front end badly.

It was his fault and I just laughed it off.

Loved driving that car. That car had a super nice ride like a Cadillac.

In the winter time I never wore a jacket that heater would smoke you out the passenger compartment was so small.

Towed small boats, motorcycles, and snowmobiles with it effortlessly. I'd inflate the air shocks a bit first.

Something about those big torque motors it never strained and was smooth at any speed.

Even w/o an overdrive freeway driving at 60 mph would give you 18 mpg.Motor was barely working.

Owned the car close to 12 years and gave it to my dad for another 5 years and he sold it to a guy with truck who just wanted motor and transmission they were still very good.

Heaven would be sleeping across the back seat of that thing as a kid while your parents piloted it down the smooth, uncrowded interstate.

Biggest problem I had was going through a green light at an intersection, by the time I was half way through it turned red,lol.Smoothest riding car ive ever been in including the monster caddy.By 76 the 460 was severely neutered by smog junk.I would of much preferred the earlier 460 and its attendant hp! 15 mpg whether towing or what ever unless you really stepped into the pedal then it went to zero fast.I would buy one today if I could afford to.

Saw "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" last night for the first time in many years. I'd forgotten that they trashed a sweet little '69 Cougar convertible in that movie. No call-outs, but judging by the hood scoop it could have been a CJ428.

It was a 428 CJ and I think it came from the factory with the ski rack. Awesome car.

Here's some pics of my 69 Cougar. Just a 351 Windsor but still a nice driver.

I have a 66 Mustang Fastback that I've been working on forever. Maybe I'll get it finished someday. I'm going to put a 302 roller cam engine in it with some AFR 185 heads that I have. Should run decent.

GetAttachmentThumbnail

GetAttachmentThumbnail

GetAttachmentThumbnail

Back
Top Bottom