Supercharged - Maverick Audio TubeMagic D2 DAC

I'm trying to decide which Maverick to get.

Why would you choose the D2+ over the D1+ ?
Seems the analog input on the D1+ is a great addition the D2+ doesn't have.

Last edited:
kray, I personally dont use analogue in and the D2 has better parts than the D1+. Some members have both for that reason

kray, I personally dont use analogue in and the D2 has better parts than the D1+. Some members have both for that reason

Thanks for the response. I’m wondering what “better parts” means besides the DAC (CS vs AD) since I’d be replacing the tube and op-amps myself. Don’t they also have same USB chip?

Thanks for the response. I’m wondering what “better parts” means besides the DAC (CS vs AD) since I’d be replacing the tube and op-amps myself. Don’t they also have same USB chip?

The D1+ and the D2 are completely different internally. I am not an expert but the info can be asked from Ryan from Maverick . The D2 has 3 opamps that need changing as the D2 uses all three to create the analogue out. D1+ I think had 2 opamps and uses just one for tube out and one for solid state out. If you only use tube out then all you have to change is one the opamp that is used by tube out to upgrade the sound. This is all covered by skizo on this thread.
You will find that because the D2 uses all 3 opamps that the sound quality is a bit better than the D1+

Dexa discrete opamps installed. http://newclassd.com/index.php?page=122&curip=17
They are tall, but the cover will fit back on with no modification. They are below the body of the unit. And speaking of cover... Initially I worked carefully sliding the body out of the cover. Ridiculous. The cover is flexible enough to simply bring one side out from under the body, and lift the cover up and over the top. Comes off, goes back on quick and easy.
Tesla 6cc42 from Czech finally showed. Sat in customs in NY for a l o n g time. Date on it is 1962, almost as old as me. Looked virgin though.
The sound? Different, for sure. I changed all the components at once. Voices, more, oh say, there.
Pentatonix is enjoyable. Eva Cassidy too.
Initially, I like. I'll let this combination run a while and report back.

Attachments

• dexa.jpg
    dexa.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Hi Kray, I am not positive but the upgrade to discrete opamps might tighten the bass whereas the Tesla tube would change the sound to a better tube like sound.

Just bought the Sparkos, and the Tesla tube. should get the Sparkos monday/tuesday, but have no idea when I'll get the Tesla tube, but I'll report back

So I got the Sparkos SS3602's yesterday. Popped them in, replacing the OPA627's and the word that keeps getting used here is, WOW.. what a great upgrade. Music is better from top to bottom, not sure if they are suppose to open up further with time on them, but I'm one happy camper 1 day later.

I'd highly recommend them. Andrew was great to work with.

Now waiting on Tesla tube from Czech Republic.

IMG_0579.jpg IMG_0580.jpg

I have a problem with my D1+ which has Maverick's upgraded opamps and the GE upgrade tube.

On a particularly loud part of a song it gives me snap, crackle, pop, I mean LOUD digital artifacts that sound like it might damage something. SNAP!!! Happens on a variety of tunes but on one particular tune at the same part of the song every time.

I played from Raspberry PI 3 with the Digi+ output (galvanic isolation) to the DAC, running Volumio or Rune rendering software fed by a Foobar 2000 server through Ethernet, had the problem each time. Used USB, Coaxial and optical connections to the DAC, every connection method had the problem. Listened with the DAC's Headphone out, still had the problem. Switched to play the song from CD from my Pioneer DVD player connected to the DAC digitally (coaxial) and still had the problem.

I listened to the same song (in CD and computer file format) on my desktop system and did not have the problem so it is not in the actual recording itself, plus it happens in a variety of loud passages of various tunes.

The solution I found was to turn down the volume on the Rasberry Pi in software, from 100% down to about 95%. Problem gone, except now I am not running BitPerfect. Reducing volume digitally uses up some of the dynamic range I am told and degrades the quality.

It bugs me not to be Bitperfect but to be honest I cannot tell you I hear any degradation. I really like the sound of this DAC. Do you think the DAC's input sensitivity is to blame? Do you call this "clipping"? Can anyone suggest another solution?

I engaged Ryan about it and he was like "that's wierd..."....

Have you tried switching out the tube?
No I have not. I suppose if the problem does not occur with the non-tube signal path outputs that might be a solution. I will test those outs to isolate that first. But if it happens when bypassing the tubes I figure switching tube is not a potential solution.

In case anyone is interested the passage that always causes this is Springsteen's "High Hopes" right after the intro.

Ps very interesting thread....

One week in on the Dexa discrete op amps and Tesla tube combo, about 30 hours or so. Voices are very crisp and up front, but with dimension. Studio recordings are a lot more accurate, with depth and harmony to singers. Had Garth Brooks on for a bit, in some recordings you can really tell the studio had an echo to it. The bass is much, (almost too much for my taste), tighter, boom is non existant, replaced with a very accurate thump from kick drums. There is a passage in a KISS song where Simmons is picking a Punisher bass solo. Good grief, I was blown away by the accuracy of the growl that guy can produce. I left the highs alone, slightly pulled back as usual, done since the Ti Crites tweeter domes were installed.
All in all, every statement about the MavAudio DAC, and Tesla tube has been spot on. IMO, (yep, it dont mean a thing), if you like rock, if you like fusion, if you like modern country, buy the MavAudio with the upgraded op amps and GE tube, hook it up, and likely be very happy for a long time.
If you dig jazz, if you want accurate studio reproductions, piano (Diana Krall anyone?), voices, (Eva Cassidy, yes even Leonard Cohen), then do the full monty of Tesla tube and discrete op amp of your choice, and again, be happy.
I got the Dexa's because of price, all three were 120 from a half price sale. Sparko's get their own rave here, don't forget to look into Orange, Burson, or one of the other 2 or three or dozen that are out there.
I agree that the less than 500 in the ModMav is a worthwhile investment, and it punches above it's weight class.

*Update*

I just received my Tesla tube from Czech....

I also bought one of the Mogami Neglex IC's here on AK.

I made the mistake of installing them both at same time.... The sound upgrade is EASILY noticeable, very happy, but now I don't know which upgrade did what to the sound :D

And i'm too lazy to switch out the IC's again to test. Was using a Bluejeans RCA IC prior.

If I can’t make myself like my new MassDrop SMSL M8A then this will probably be my next pick up. Although I did just roll some pre amp tubes and I may have found something that will work for a little while with Jazz and some David Gilmore. Just had this revelation n as I type this.

If I can’t make myself like my new MassDrop SMSL M8A then this will probably be my next pick up. Although I did just roll some pre amp tubes and I may have found something that will work for a little while with Jazz and some David Gilmore. Just had this revelation n as I type this.

No complaints here. Only con could be it only supports up to 24/96, but i still get phenomenal output with Audirvana upsampling output to 24/96. Ryan from Maverick also said he has a new DAC that supports 24/192 on all inputs (coax/optical/usb) - i asked him more about it since i don't see it on his site, but he disappeared :) (prob due to China Lunar New Year)

Ryan says he has a new D2 for sale that will support 24/192 and will take the Sparkos op amps and the Tesla tube upgrades price is the same as original D2 but id you want usb it will be $20 more!

Ryan says he has a new D2 for sale that will support 24/192 and will take the Sparkos op amps and the Tesla tube upgrades price is the same as original D2 but id you want usb it will be $20 more!

Good to know. Will wait for him to post the specs. Either try his new one or try the Denfrips Ares DAC

Back
Top Bottom