Never had a DAC before....please help with two questions.

Rob41

Don't stop believin'
Thanks for reading my post. Like the title says, I've never had a DAC before so I have a couple questions.

I no longer use vinyl, tape or any other analog source so all my sources are now digital. I've looked all around the web and at pictures but don't see what I'm looking for, if it's even possible.

1. Can I get a DAC with RCA inputs and outputs?
2. If so, of this type, are there a couple under $100 that perform at least mid-fi level? No offense intended.

Thanks!

-Rob

Yes on rca outputs, no on rca inputs...because input is digital (coax, optical, usb, etc).

I sense confusion. What do you want to do with RCA inputs???

I wanted to connect the DAC between my preamp outputs (RCA) and my amplifier inputs (RCA). I'm getting the impression this is not how it's done. Would this not work?

I wanted to connect the DAC between my preamp outputs (RCA) and my amplifier inputs (RCA). I'm getting the impression this is not how it's done. Would this not work?

Nope, you need a digital into the Dac, analog out. Digital is usually coax, optical or USB from computers .

An Emotiva DC-1 has a set of analog inputs but this is just a preamp circuit which bypasses the DAC. The Maverick also has this analog preamp circuitry. The DC-1 has five types of digital inputs for doing digital processing. And it's $499...

No, you need to run from the digital out (coax -rca, optical or USB) of your digital source (CD player, computer). The DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) then sends the analog signal (L&R RCA's) to your preamp. From there everything hooks up as normal; pre-amp to amp to speakers.

The Maverick rca inputs are not for digital conversion.

OP, I assume you have multiple sources. Some DACs allow input from multiple devices, with a source selection function. But not under $100.

Your preamp is already putting out an analog signal, a DAC is for converting a digital signal into analog..ie from your computers usb, or a cd players, dvd player's coax..etc

The Maverick rca inputs are not for digital conversion.

OP, I assume you have multiple sources. Some DACs allow input from multiple devices, with a source selection function. But not under $100.
Yes I'm aware of that..hence the question about what the OP was trying to do.
"When you say RCA input, are you meaning coax digital or l and r analog?"

So if your digital sources all have their own DACs (CD players, computers, media players, etc) then you don't need an external DAC...other than to potentially improve on sound quality (some external DACs are better than some internal DACs).

Your preamp is already putting out an analog signal, a DAC is for converting a digital signal into analog..ie from your computers usb, or a cd players, dvd player's coax..etc

In my other thread you can see my preamp is also my CD player, DSP etc, etc. and then some, lol. Even if I add a flac player via the aux or USB port, the signal will still go through the digital realm of the head unit.

Yes I'm aware of that..hence the question about what the OP was trying to do.
"When you say RCA input, are you meaning coax digital or l and r analog?"

I was assuming he wanted a DAC for digital to analog conversion.

So if your digital sources all have their own DACs (CD players, computers, media players, etc) then you don't need an external DAC...other than to potentially improve on sound quality (some external DACs are better than some internal DACs).

All of my sources are part of the Pioneer head unit which is of course also the preamp and DSP. To the best of my knowledge, it does not have an internal DAC. I am looking for a Digital to Analog convertor for the whole thing. It doesn't look like that will be possible though?

Sorry for the confusion. I should have said it was for a car stereo (in home though) head unit.

c.jpg

I think it must have an onboard DAC...how else would it process FLAC files and CDs, for example?

I'm sure I'm missing something, but it sounds like your system/head unit is already working fine with digital inputs...that is, it is taking digital in and sending analog out to your amp.

It of course does work with digital inputs and process FLAC files. My lack of understanding sure has caused some confusion. Sorry for that guys!

And thanks for the help. :)

In my other thread you can see my preamp is also my CD player, DSP etc, etc. and then some, lol. Even if I add a flac player via the aux or USB port, the signal will still go through the digital realm of the head unit.
Yes, for the usb port, your head unit will be using its built in DAC, as the head unit does not have a digital out, , the aux port will just be carrying the analog signal from your ipod.

Back
Top Bottom