Disappointed about my stereo repairs.

dynaco st400, had low output from both channels, dropped it off with all parts to rebuild the amp and still not done.14 months now!
not meaning to hijack this thread simply chime in that this sort of crap happens quite often.
The amp is with Roy at Beta electronics in North Miami and as far as I am concerned he can keep it, He will never get a dime out of me.

Paucity of parts, bad repairs, shysters, on and on.........are the reasons I am easing away from "vintage" receivers.

Due to the above, I've relinquished the following (and I LOVED each one of these pieces)

Yamaha CA-810 (worked great, bone stock when I sold it)
Pioneer SX-980
Sony STR7065A (god, what a vastly underrated little receiver)
Carver The Receiver 900

and finally, the most painful of all, my Echowars-restored Sansui 9090db. That ****ing dolby board, man....:(

Now, if it a pair of speakers, or a cd player/turntable, I'll take a chance. But vintage receivers? They're like vintage cars - either got to KNOW a good mechanic, or BE a good mechanic to keep running.

i tried to keep vintage gear running, loved the old x00 yamaha receivers. just too much work keeping them running.

dynaco st400, had low output from both channels, dropped it off with all parts to rebuild the amp and still not done.14 months now!
not meaning to hijack this thread simply chime in that this sort of crap happens quite often.
The amp is with Roy at Beta electronics in North Miami and as far as I am concerned he can keep it, He will never get a dime out of me.

I fully understand your frustration, but urge you to call the shop and ask him point blank if he can fix it in 30 days, and if he hesitates, tell him you're coming to pick it up.
Find one of the pro or amateurs on this site that like/know Dynacos and send it to them to get it done right...or better than right.

I'm just tired of the lies,I have always been very nice and money was never an issue(this guy fixed my Mac gear).
I am even willing to give away my repair ticket and someone else can deal with his lies,after this long I don't even need it anymore.
I posted this simply so that others steer clear of Beta Electronics.
Isn't my money just as green as everyone else's whos repairs he has done in this time???...
$600 dollar loss between the cost of the amp and the complete rebuild kit for it, which I supplied.
Emails go unanswered also.
Maybe dementia has set in and He thinks I dropped it all off last week.

Last edited:
I knew two guys in Dodge that do repair, one is Avionic, the other one died. The TV repair shops won't touch an amp.

Paucity of parts, bad repairs, shysters, on and on.........are the reasons I am easing away from "vintage" receivers.

Due to the above, I've relinquished the following (and I LOVED each one of these pieces)

Pioneer SX-980
Carver The Receiver 900

and finally, the most painful of all, my Echowars-restored Sansui 9090db. That ****ing dolby board, man....:(

Now, if it a pair of speakers, or a cd player/turntable, I'll take a chance. But vintage receivers? They're like vintage cars - either got to KNOW a good mechanic, or BE a good mechanic to keep running.

I could make any of them sing like angels. Especially that Pioneer.
The number one achilles' heel of vintage is the mechanical switches. They are part of what makes them last a long time (solid state switches tend to go obsolete quickly), but they also crud up and cause dropped signal.

Pioneer SX-980
Carver The Receiver 900

Sounds like you had a lot of good items. Maybe you could keep at least one vintage receiver.

The guy I've been taking my stuff too lately is great. But EVERYTHING has gone back for a Round Two. Everything.

Fortunately he's cool and never charges me for round two.
It happens . It is just old stuff.
A few years ago I sold my Pioneer SX838, to a guy who was on long driving distance and only sometimes he was using his car driving back and forth to work in the same area where I work so we could meet.

Now he did experience intermitting relay cutout (which did not happen at my place.

First time, checking it stayed okay and I had it on while working at the bench so it went back to him.
Still complaints.
Second time, after half an hour indeed the relay DID cutout, but I could not find the problem as the problem stayed away for weeks..
Still complaints.
Third time, I definately had intermitting cutouts. NOT ENOUGH times to measure anything.I could measure nothing worrying on the protection board, en whenever measuring everything stayed okay. Cutouts still came when connection to amp output was removed.
The protection board resistors and diodes were measured and all transistors and electrolytics replaced. (power supply was done before the sale).
The problem went and the receiver went back to owner.

In the end he called me stating still cutouts now and then, he was going to a tech local to him now.

Intermitting problems can be a PITA, especially when not having the unit in the house.

As I sold the receiver cheap and conditions were "not satisfied, equipment back and get money back", there was no argument over it but he wanted to keep the unit.

Still I feel irritated by the fact I did not fix it, because basically it is a "piece of cake" problem..
In the end, You WILL find the culprit if having the digital oscope on pre-trigger and have your measurement stuff waiting to capture the problem instead of yourself. Amount of time spent can be big.

NOTE: considering other work done on the unit when it was mine, it basically was FOUR not successful rounds

Last edited:
A few years ago I sold my Pioneer SX838, to a guy who was on long driving distance and only sometimes he was using his car driving back and forth to work in the same area where I work so we could meet.

Now he did experience intermitting relay cutout (which did not happen at my place.

First time, checking it stayed okay and I had it on while working at the bench so it went back to him.
Still complaints.
Second time, after half an hour indeed the relay DID cutout, but I could not find the problem as the problem stayed away for weeks..
Still complaints.
Third time, I definately had intermitting cutouts. NOT ENOUGH times to measure anything.I could measure nothing worrying on the protection board, en whenever measuring everything stayed okay. Cutouts still came when connection to amp output was removed.
The protection board resistors and diodes were measured and all transistors and electrolytics replaced. (power supply was done before the sale).

In the end he called me stating still cutouts now and then, he was going to a tech local to him now.

Intermitting problems can be a PITA, especially when not having the unit in the house.

As I sold the receiver cheap and conditions were "not satisfied, equipment back and get money back", there was no argument over it but he wanted to keep the unit.

Still I feel irritated by the fact I did not fix it, because basically it is a "piece of cake" problem..
In the end, You WILL find the culprit if having the digital oscope on pre-trigger and have your measurement stuff waiting to capture the problem instead of yourself. Amount of time spent can be big.

Sounds like a lot of work. It really requires an interest. I enjoy hearing from you. I see that you are from the Netherlands. I have been to Groningen and Amsterdam.

Lonnie

I wasn't implying in any way that I was disappointed. Rather just explaining that even a tech I rather like tends to take two rounds with any gear that is NFG when he first gets it. Except the Marantz 4270. That took a few more but it was a complete pile when i got it. Tuner still drifts, but other than that he's fixed it right up.

Still complaints.
Still complaints.

NOTE: considering other work done on the unit when it was mine, it basically was FOUR not successful rounds

I maintain the lighting systems on cell phone towers, which are fairly complex circuits. Intermittant problems are the worst part of my job. It can be pretty aggravating to drive several hundred miles to get to a site that's working fine, and hasn't alarmed in a week.

I disagree. You paid for a service that was not delivered. As a competent repair man he should have tested not once but twice before you receive it. My repair man will always leave the unit running for hours after a repair is done to confirm the repair is solid and nothing else goes on. However im not saying every repair is bulletproof either. I would be mad but straight about it.

Abso-effin-lutely !!
That "repair guy" should have had it connected to speakers and running when you arrived, so you and he were confident that the unit was functioning properly !!
That`s been my SOP for all audio repairs since the mid seventies, when directly interfacing with the customer, but still done by me for my own satisfaction/confidence if the customer brought into a store that I was repairing for off premises !!

I even lightly, or not, with the cover off of the gear, rap it with a large diameter dowel rod to make sure that no inside connections are borderline, that could rear their ugly heads during transportation, but that`s just my OCD for customer satisfaction & my reputation !!

There`s the right way, the wrong way, & the "half ass way"(still the wrong way !) to do anything in life, at least, that`s what my engineer father taught me growing up, and has served me very well for more decades than I care to admit to !!

OKB

Last edited:
I could make any of them sing like angels. Especially that Pioneer.
The number one achilles' heel of vintage is the mechanical switches. They are part of what makes them last a long time (solid state switches tend to go obsolete quickly), but they also crud up and cause dropped signal.

Sir, I doubt it not. I bet you truly could (I've read your posts for years). You're also about as geographically far away as possible from me within the continental US.

Sounds like you had a lot of good items. Maybe you could keep at least one vintage receiver.

How about three?

I still have a restored SX-1250 (Mattsd, hats off, sir) a Sansui AU-G99X (Mattsd again) and a restored SX-1010 (Zebulon is the man on that specific model).

Then there are the ones I have that sit unrestored, but still work just fine.

Moving forward, though, I don't see me investing any more money into the vintage receivers. Simply put, I can get more for less with my money.

They're beautiful, some of them are astounding, but I'll leave it to those lucky enough to have techs close by.

Sir, I doubt it not. I bet you truly could (I've read your posts for years). You're also about as geographically far away as possible from me within the continental US.

How about three?

I still have a restored SX-1250 (Mattsd, hats off, sir) a Sansui AU-G99X (Mattsd again) and a restored SX-1010 (Zebulon is the man on that specific model).

Then there are the ones I have that sit unrestored, but still work just fine.

Moving forward, though, I don't see me investing any more money into the vintage receivers. Simply put, I can get more for less with my money.

They're beautiful, some of them are astounding, but I'll leave it to those lucky enough to have techs close by.

I think you are right. Money does not grow on trees. I also have boats and motors to spend money on, lol

Folks, I find my self getting disgusted when I stumble across posts such as this and I have to just shake my head !!
But I have to read them anyway, just to see how bad it is sometimes in the service industry.

I am totally self taught(reading, reading, more reading all the books I could afford to buy on a $2.50 hr. security guard bi-weekly pay in 1974) in electronics with no mentor, which might have been helpful, but I was driven to escape my employment and be the best I could be as a electronic tech. for my own satisfaction, plus I dropped out of high school in 11th grade, so that could have been a strike against me applying for future electronic repair employment.
Actually being a security guard, allowed me to study, read, re-read, and read some more and I usually had my face in a book when not working as well.
My engineer father, commented to me one evening because I was still living at home..
He said to me : "All you ever do is read electronic books, or futz around on your little electronic bench in the garage !!
"All you ever think about is electronics", and he was right..
Funny for him to say that, as a year or so before, he said to me--"All you think about is women" !?!? Yes, I`m 19 and I like, and enjoy women very much !!

Anyway this isn`t just about me..
I found out years ago, as I`m certain that the folks on this site that are very good/excellent repair persons found out and also know..
All we have to do is strive to do it as right as possible, and we will do very well and develop a excellent reputation for what we do.
I also discovered when I moved up here from Miami, FL. that all I had to do was fix the equipment like it was my own, which I was doing anyway, and the other 3 techs in this area could keep on doing repairs their way, and they will end making me look very good and "the guy to go to" for reliable audio repairs, and this became even more important and immensely satisfying when musicians started seeking me out to repair their amps, etc.
For those who know, stage audio gear is often subjected to rough handling, even before it gets used on a highly vibratory intense stage, where failure while performing is most, most unwelcome, to say the least, and usually by the owner`s mindset, considered not an option, "especially", if the owners just picked up their gear from repair that day..

Ok!! I`m through babbling, carry on..
Good luck on quality repairs folks..
Most kind regards, and sympathy for those effected by, IMHO/E, shoddy electronic repairs..

OKB

Edit : Oh yea, I forgot to mention, that I smoked pot as much of my waking hours when I could.
I believe it helped me to slow down and concentrate, plus, I was so concerned that I wouldn`t remember or adsorb the information, so I would read it again, and again !!

Jeez, what a nut I am, in reflection !!

Last edited:
Folks, I find my self getting disgusted when I stumble across posts such as this and I have to just shake my head !!
But I have to read them anyway, just to see how bad it is sometimes in the service industry.

I am totally self taught(reading, reading, more reading all the books I could afford to buy on a $2.50 hr. security guard bi-weekly pay in 1974) in electronics with no mentor, which might have been helpful, but I was driven to escape my employment and be the best I could be as a electronic tech. for my own satisfaction, plus I dropped out of high school in 11th grade, so that could have been a strike against me applying for future electronic repair employment.
Actually being a security guard, allowed me to study, read, re-read, and read some more and I usually had my face in a book when not working as well.
My engineer father, commented to me one evening because I was still living at home..
He said to me : "All you ever do is read electronic books, or futz around on your little electronic bench in the garage !!
"All you ever think about is electronics", and he was right..
Funny for him to say that, as a year or so before, he said to me--"All you think about is women" !?!? Yes, I`m 19 and I like, and enjoy women very much !!

Anyway this isn`t just about me..
I found out years ago, as I`m certain that the folks on this site that are very good/excellent repair persons found out and also know..
All we have to do is strive to do it as right as possible, and we will do very well and develop a excellent reputation for what we do.
I also discovered when I moved up here from Miami, FL. that all I had to do was fix the equipment like it was my own, which I was doing anyway, and the other 3 techs in this area could keep on doing repairs their way, and they will end making me look very good and "the guy to go to" for reliable audio repairs, and this became even more important and immensely satisfying when musicians started seeking me out to repair their amps, etc.
For those who know, stage audio gear is often subjected to rough handling, even before it gets used on a highly vibratory intense stage, where failure while performing is most, most unwelcome, to say the least, and usually by the owner`s mindset, considered not an option, "especially", if the owners just picked up their gear from repair that day..

Ok!! I`m through babbling, carry on..
Good luck on quality repairs folks..
Most kind regards, and sympathy for those effected by, IMHO/E, shoddy electronic repairs..

OKB

Edit : Oh yea, I forgot to mention, that I smoked pot as much of my waking hours when I could.
I believe it helped me to slow down and concentrate, plus, I was so concerned that I wouldn`t remember or adsorb the information, so I would read it again, and again !!

Jeez, what a nut I am, in reflection !!

Thanks for sharing your experiences, Bill. So, if we're looking for a good repair shop, we should avoid anyplace that doesn't have incense burning? I wonder if acid couldn't be helpful to a technician to allow him to "see" where the problem is? (I've tried that technique, but everything kept strobing and undulating.)

Some advice:
1. If your "tech says he can't get the parts, in most cases he is either incompetent or doesn't want to bother. Almost any transistor has a modern replacement with the exception of Vfets. Capacitors, resistors are basically unchanged from the original parts. IC's can be a problem, as can mechanical parts like switches, but even those, if your tech is clever, can be replaced or repaired. Broken wafer switches can be glued back together with JB Weld and the traces jumpered. I have 2 amps in the shop right now that the previous tech said he couldn't get the transistors. I haven't looked at them yet, but I am highly skeptical.
2. No repair should take longer than 2 weeks unless there are extenuating circumstances which should be explained to your satisfaction.
3. There are a lot of "repair" shops that are totally incompetent. I repaired a preamp that the customer had taken to a local shop that is well known. He received it back and one channel was out. The shop had put in a wrong tube! This couldn't have worked on the bench if they had bothered to check it once the work was done. Do your homework. Ask other audiophile friends in your area who they take their equipment to. Or ask here.

Back
Top Bottom