Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Hit the local GW today and there were a batch of classical albums and a few from other genres. The thing I like about classical collectors is that they usually take very good care of their records. I bought a few including a 45 RPM, London blue back, half speed master and a Teldec 100% virgin vinyl.

View attachment 1105624 View attachment 1105625

RR Church Windows on ebay - sold for $31:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Respighi-K...510146?hash=item467315a942:g:ZSwAAOSwFyhaQWf6

Classic reissue of Stokie Rhapsodies on ebay - sold for $48

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stokowski-...199474?hash=item2849951772:g:4I4AAOSwgbhaMuMj

Yes, you did good. I don't understand how these types of records end up at Goodwill, unless it's ignorant estate administrators.

RR Church Windows on ebay - sold for $31:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Respighi-K...510146?hash=item467315a942:g:ZSwAAOSwFyhaQWf6

Classic reissue of Stokie Rhapsodies on ebay - sold for $48

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stokowski-...199474?hash=item2849951772:g:4I4AAOSwgbhaMuMj

Yes, you did good. I don't understand how these types of records end up at Goodwill, unless it's ignorant estate administrators.

Thanks! I've lived around the country a little, and New Hampshire (and Vermont) seem to have a thriving vinyl community. I find quality LPs all the time. I really enjoy the thrifting up here. If you're ever in the area, let me know and we'll do a local road trip.

Yeah, that's the Classic reissue, which looks like what Bob got. His cover is too clean to be an original.

As for the original, prices are all over the map. It was in print throughout the shaded dog and white dog era, and well into the block letter era for that matter. The large number of copies tend to kill the price nowadays, although early pressings still command respect from buyers. The early pressings have a 'Wizard at Work' sticker on the cover, which can add to the value.

Yeah, that's the Classic reissue, which looks like what Bob got. His cover is too clean to be an original.

As for the original, prices are all over the map. It was in print throughout the shaded dog and white dog era, and well into the block letter era for that matter. The large number of copies tend to kill the price nowadays, although early pressings still command respect from buyers. The early pressings have a 'Wizard at Work' sticker on the cover, which can add to the value.
Well, it's hard to make a call without seeing the label and knowing the deadwax. I've seen some pretty clean covers on records from the 50s. I wouldn't assume it to be a reissue based solely on that. Either way, certainly well north of the buck a piece he paid for them.

Modest success at the local ReStore on the way home from work.
Found a nice impedance-matching speaker switch, Russound Pro-6.
Each selection can have 2 pair of speakers. 12 total.
I need to buy connectors for the speaker switch.
One nice thing about it is the ability to select one of 2 amps.

View attachment 1104477 View attachment 1104478
I have that russound as well and it's very nice you've probably found out that it needs special connectors for the speaker wires and inputs this photo has the model number for those. Also I noticed that mine has bass filtering, but it can be bypassed.
2018-02-04 11.39.12.jpg

Yes. I have only one plug on the back.
Fortunately they appear to be readily available on Ebay at around $3 each.
I will be ordering up 7 of them.

Yes. I have only one plug on the back.
Fortunately they appear to be readily available on Ebay at around $3 each.
I will be ordering up 7 of them.

I bet they are available cheaper from e.g. Mouser - I've seen those exact same connectors used on current production fire alarm equipment for example

Any numbers molded into the one you have that might help you run it down?

It is a reissue and NM plus it is one heavy hunk of wax. No barcode or pressing info on the cover or sleeve. Here's a photo of the label.

001.JPG

That's impressive that he got that from that pic.

The shininess of the laminated jacket is kind of a giveaway. I've handled many copies of the original, and it is very rare to find one without slight ringwear, which is very obvious on a black jacket. The RCA original is some sort of laminate, but the Classic laminate is much thicker and wear-resistant.

In the label he showed, the Classic look is unmistakable. The shade behind the dog is a solid block, and there are no blue highlights on the victrola.

Added: I pulled out and played my copy. It's a 5S/1S Indianapolis pressing, very dynamic, with the 'Wizard at Work' sticker on the cover. This is truly one of the great RCAs if you manage to get a good early example. The white dog is already quite down from the original.

Last edited:
The shininess of the laminated jacket is kind of a giveaway. I've handled many copies of the original, and it is very rare to find one without slight ringwear, which is very obvious on a black jacket. The RCA original is some sort of laminate, but the Classic laminate is much thicker and wear-resistant.

In the label he showed, the Classic look is unmistakable. The shade behind the dog is a solid block, and there are no blue highlights on the victrola.

Added: I pulled out and played my copy. It's a 5S/1S Indianapolis pressing, very dynamic, with the 'Wizard at Work' sticker on the cover. This is truly one of the great RCAs if you manage to get a good early example. The white dog is already quite down from the original.
Yeah, I would have got it from the label too, but not from a distant shot of the jacket.

When I first looked at it, I could tell by the glossy cover that it was a reissue. I thought it even might be a foreign pressing but it says it's made in the good ol' U.S.A.

Last edited:
Local Goodwills never have any decent electronics. But we have an "America's Thrift Store" that is constantly turning over stock and I've found some decent stuff there. Non-audio, but I found this there this past weekend.

DVIuZhOVwAA6SwJ.jpg:large

That's a portable floppy drive for HP palmtop computers, circa 1985.

Local Goodwills never have any decent electronics. But we have an "America's Thrift Store" that is constantly turning over stock and I've found some decent stuff there. Non-audio, but I found this there this past weekend.

DVIuZhOVwAA6SwJ.jpg:large

That's a portable floppy drive for HP palmtop computers, circa 1985.

Nice. Too bad you didn't find the whole bundle with the calculator etc..

The local thrifts have been mostly forgettable the past few months. That said, I've found a bit of vinyl here and there. I recently found a nice copy of Julie London's "About the Blues" and a handful of John Klemmer discs. The only piece of gear I've bothered picking up is a pair of bookshelf Advents that I may give to someone else.

Back
Top Bottom