Should I include the SACD format in my main system?

sgleich

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I listen to both vinyl and High Res digital files currently. All of my CD's boxed up as are two decent CD players. I was thinking of adding a dedicated SACD player to my main system and sourcing a few of my favorites in that format. Seems a bit crazy as I have most of those favorites on both LP and in FLAC formats. I guess I would like to see what SACD's sound like, those that were mastered well anyway.

Questions: How long will SACD be around?

Would something like a used Marantz SA8001 fit the bill?

Listen mostly to late 50's early 60's Jazz and a few rock favorites as well as impressing the Wife with Diana Krall etc. Thoughts?

Why not just add a DSD capable DAC?

I was just listening to some DSD files I have last night, some very smooth sounding Diana Krall was one of them.

FLAC's are 24/96 and 24/192. I have several, mostly Jazz, and Vinyl rips of my Music Matters, AP and other records. Those are 24/96. Others from HD tracks are mostly 24/192. These are all played currently through laptop and Multibit Modi. In work showroom, I play same files with desktop and Fio D3? Dac.

Why not just add a DSD capable DAC?

I was just listening to some DSD files I have last night, some very smooth sounding Diana Krall was one of them.

I am not sure what this would do? Just not familiar with SACD playback or do you mean just play DSD files through Foobar for instance? Do DSF, DSD files contain more info as opposed to flacs?

Last edited:
Good players capable of SACD can be found for very cheap so there’s no reason not to. TOTL players from Pioneer Elite, Sony ES, and Denon that we’re sold as “universal” machines before Blu Ray came on the scene are perfect. All have high quality DACs and great build quality.

There are also a number of older DVD players for cheap (I'm mostly familiar with Pioneers) that output stereo and multichannel SACD over HDMI for reclocking and DACing by downstream devices (receivers, prepros, etc.). I use such a setup with a Pio DV-49AV/Denon AVR-3808 combo for the few SACDs (less than 100) I own.

For myself I wouldn't bother with SACD unless I had a a 5 speaker system to play Multi-Channel SACD. I do have that but the speakers aren't matched very well especially the front to the center speaker. It takes me a lot of adjusting to get what I have to sound well together so that I can really enjoy the music. I have only one pre-amp/reciever that does multi-Channel. I have many integrated amp, reciever, and pre-amp-amp possiblities in my man cave. Most times I'm very happy with my 2-channel sound. Most days SACD is more trouble than its worth. But I do have a few multi-channel discs that I really like. So every now and then I set it up My 2 cents.

in a word, yes. whether you have to have all the extended features of SACD, there's still the
fact that SACD is thriving in the growing markets and depending on (music, equipment,
ears, etc) you may find SACD very good.

I didn't think it would be but I heard BIS' Bach Cello Concertos in hybrid. the CD layer was OK
but the SACD was incredible. but only after I picked up a cheap SACD player.

on the other hand, on a hybrid rolling stones, the CD and SACD was indistinguishable both
not so good. I leave it at some combination of live concert recording and mixing.

since they've been around since 1999, you can find early generations of SACD players
that are now super cheap on CL, ebay, etc. some of these are highlighted by their
DVD prowess and the SACD capability is lost in the weeds.

the benefit of a cheapie is that if your library and tastes now point to SACD, you can
upgrade to your wallet's ceiling and the price of entry can be your backup.

By happy coincidence, my Marantz SA-15S2 SACD player gives me the best CD sound I have had, by quite a margin. The next year's model would let me use its DAC from my computer, but not mine, alas. It's the darkest of my digital sources, but not rolled-off, just not bright. Perfect, for me, at least. Stereo only, though.

I haven't heard a Marantz SA8001, and wouldn't want to speculate on whether the same qualities would apply.

Well I have found a few titles that I can't seem to find in any decent condition on vinyl for a decent price. I haven't played a CD in over a year and would like to thin the herd there. Maybe keep my best and sell the rest. With a SACD player I could do that.

As for quality, same deal with LP's and CD's. If they were not mastered well or used a good master they sound horrible. I probably have 50 CD's of favorite all time LP's that I didn't play since they sounded so terrible. Since getting back into vinyl, I have been selective after being very disappointed with some of my first purchases.

I can see myself content with SACD's, LP's and HR Digital files. That would end the search for a few good pressings I want that are hard to come by and very costly in nice condition. I am one of those who like what I like and can listen over and over.

By happy coincidence, my Marantz SA-15S2 SACD player gives me the best CD sound I have had, by quite a margin. The next year's model would let me use its DAC from my computer, but not mine, alas. It's the darkest of my digital sources, but not rolled-off, just not bright. Perfect, for me, at least. Stereo only, though.

I haven't heard a Marantz SA8001, and wouldn't want to speculate on whether the same qualities would apply.

I looked again at the SA8001 and then looked at the SA8005. That would fit aesthetically better in main system. That matters there as the Wife has a say (or thinks so!).

This one would pass the looks test aside Tandberg gear.
http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/P...Id=HiFiComponents&SubCatId=0&ProductId=SA8005

So it turns out that I do have some DFF and DSD files in some rips I got from my Nephew. They do play with Foobar 2000 through my Modi. Is Foobar converting these on the fly? They sound great.

BIS puts out wonderful SACDs, mostly classical. Telarc (sadly departed) put out many orchestral and jazz SACDs, which I treasure. I am having great fun with two vintage turntables, discovering great music that never made it to cd, but I also have two SACD systems. I love having both!

GG

Yes, down converting. You should hear when they are played and not down converted.
I see. Yes, I would like to get every bit of info out of every file whether I can hear it all or not. :) I don't want to start anything but I can tell the difference between a CD rip and a 24/192 file and a well mastered and pressed LP.

BIS puts out wonderful SACDs, mostly classical. Telarc (sadly departed) put out many orchestral and jazz SACDs, which I treasure. I am having great fun with two vintage turntables, discovering great music that never made it to cd, but I also have two SACD systems. I love having both!

GG

Thanks. I can see that benefit and I would like to hear a well made SACD played natively.

If you play an SACD (DSD physical medium), in your disc player (and it is set properly to read the SACD layer), it will not put out any digital sound other than HDMI. It will put out the signal to the analog outputs also.
I don't think that's what the OP and PAGS were getting at.
It was about taking the digital files(DSD files in this case, and not a disc) and using the player to do the DAC work. Digital out wasn't any part of that.

As for the original question in the first post? I'd say it's a tough one. I have SACD capable players, and a modest collection. I'd hate to get rid of them, but I'm not sure if I'd jump in today if I was starting from scratch.
There are plenty of stellar jazz SACD titles though, so if you're OK with the selection that is out there, and are OK with it from a budget standpoint, I'd say go for it.

I don't think that's what the OP and PAGS were getting at.
It was about taking the digital files(DSD files in this case, and not a disc) and using the player to do the DAC work. Digital out wasn't any part of that.

That particular player (SA8005) seems to claim that it will play DSD from a computer but does not say at what rate. This is what it says... Disc: SA-CD, CD, CD-R/RW(CD-DA/MP3/WMA, AAC), USB-A: MP3/WMA/WAV/AAC/iPod/iPhone/iPad, USB-B: PCM up to 192kHz/24bit, DSD 2.8 & 5.6 Mhz

I would not be using USB A. But would want to play HR FLAC, DSD etc through the USB - B. The are really not very clear or perhaps I am just not knowledgeable enough to figure it out.

As for the original question in the first post? I'd say it's a tough one. I have SACD capable players, and a modest collection. I'd hate to get rid of them, but I'm not sure if I'd jump in today if I was starting from scratch.
There are plenty of stellar jazz SACD titles though, so if you're OK with the selection that is out there, and are OK with it from a budget standpoint, I'd say go for it.

Why would you not get into it? For me, it would make it an easier decision if I could upgrade my DAC at the same time. It just happens that a lot of my favorite recordings of old Jazz and a few classic rock LPs are available in SACD. From Burrell Midnight Blue to Lou Donaldson Sunny Side Up to LA Woman... I would like to hear them in another format...

Back
Top Bottom