Best Buy pulling CDs

They can put a Verizon booth in that space.... :)

I have to confess, I haven't been to a Best Buy in ages.
I'm not sure the US needs an electronicsish big box store any longer.
Anything they sell you can get elsewhere without the commissioned sales force.

They don't have any selection to speak of - mainly recent pop and country. I haven't bothered to look for CD's at either store in a long time. Most new CDs I get are from Waterloo records (a huge selection of new and used) if I'm looking for something for myself. I use Amazon for some stuff we buy for my sister-in-law who is firmly stuck in the '80s and still loves her CDs.

Bought two CD's last year ... both online from Amazon merchants. In both cases the S&H cost more or as much as the used CD's.

It’s interesting, the Best Buy’s around my area have a decent record selection along with turntables and accessories.

We’ll see how long that lasts.

I still buy CD’s, bought four for $1.35 each, two jazz and two classical, all four in like new condition.

Have a place that has hundreds for $1.00 each and quantity discounts, it’s a estate closeout place with good rotation.

The Goodwills Sell new CD’s for $3.00 and that’s another company that manages those racks up by the counters.

Now is a great time to buy CD’s.

Last edited:
The other half of the story is that Target is considering selling CDs on a consignment basis. In other words, they won't owe the labels money until they scan the sale at the cash register. I believe they are already pushing the movie studios to do this with DVDs, and want to do this with CDs closer to the middle of the year:

According to those sources, Target gave the ultimatum to both music and video suppliers in the fourth quarter of last year that it wants to switch to scanned-based trading, with a target date of Feb. 1. But while it is proceeding to push DVD vendors to switch to scan-based trading terms (i.e. the chain would pay for DVDs after they are sold or scanned while being rung up at the register), it has moved the deadline back to music suppliers to either April 1 or May 1. So far, music manufacturers are not sure what they are going to do, but sources within the various camps say that at least one major is leaning no, while the other two majors are undecided.

Source: https://www.billboard.com/articles/...get-threatens-to-pay-labels-for-cds-only-when

While neither store stocks more than a handful of titles (mainly the top charting hits), they are capable of pushing large volumes of those titles. All this will do is hasten the demise of the CD format. And you know if two major brick and mortar retailers are doing this, others will follow. Shopping for any depth of catalog is going to push consumers to buy online if they still want music in a physical format. I don't know if a store like Barnes & Noble would do this, as they are pretty much a media-based store (books being the primary medium, but they sell a volume of video and music titles), but I imagine B&N would let customers special order...provided they want to wait for delivery.

"The other half of the story is that Target is considering selling CDs on a consignment basis"

I think the chain stores have been doing that with books & paperbacks since forever.
For them, its a natural - surprised it took this long.
Agreed about the meager selection dwindling further....... more Justin Timberlake anyone ?? :)

They sell LPs as well. Not a massive selection, though I did look through them when I was there last week to buy a game.

Maybe the problem is not the CD itself, but the lack of enough good new music to fill an entire CD. My old truck has a cassette player as well as a CD player but no USB port. What will I do??

The other half of the story is that Target is considering selling CDs on a consignment basis. In other words, they won't owe the labels money until they scan the sale at the cash register. I believe they are already pushing the movie studios to do this with DVDs, and want to do this with CDs closer to the middle of the year:

According to those sources, Target gave the ultimatum to both music and video suppliers in the fourth quarter of last year that it wants to switch to scanned-based trading, with a target date of Feb. 1. But while it is proceeding to push DVD vendors to switch to scan-based trading terms (i.e. the chain would pay for DVDs after they are sold or scanned while being rung up at the register), it has moved the deadline back to music suppliers to either April 1 or May 1. So far, music manufacturers are not sure what they are going to do, but sources within the various camps say that at least one major is leaning no, while the other two majors are undecided.

Source: https://www.billboard.com/articles/...get-threatens-to-pay-labels-for-cds-only-when

While neither store stocks more than a handful of titles (mainly the top charting hits), they are capable of pushing large volumes of those titles. All this will do is hasten the demise of the CD format. And you know if two major brick and mortar retailers are doing this, others will follow. Shopping for any depth of catalog is going to push consumers to buy online if they still want music in a physical format. I don't know if a store like Barnes & Noble would do this, as they are pretty much a media-based store (books being the primary medium, but they sell a volume of video and music titles), but I imagine B&N would let customers special order...provided they want to wait for delivery.
This has already been going on for years, at least with smaller artists.

About 5 years ago I heard a couple of tracks of an artist that is a fav of myself and my dad on a radio show. I wanted to buy the CD for him for his birthday and none of the stores around here had any listing for it. So, I went online. I found it, but the CDs were sold out. No way was I going to give the gift of an MP3 folder, so I emailed the guy. Turned out he was stuck in my dad's hometown because his van broke down, gave me his phone number, and we talked. The cool part of the story is that he hand delivered that birthday gift, and he and my dad shot the shit about music for a decent amount of time.
The sad part is that I asked him why I had no luck finding the disc in stores, and his response was something about how it wasn't worth the he'd have to pay to get them out there and into stores. The word consignment wasn't used exactly, but it's essentially what was going on.

For years the savvy musicians have been all over the internet side of things.
Except for the big names, music at the mega sized brick and mortar stores is a thing of the past.

They sell LPs as well. Not a massive selection, though I did look through them when I was there last week to buy a game.

Bought two lP's at Best Buys last year ... both QRP pressings of The Jimi Hendrix Experience. :trebon:

Don't recall the size of the CD isle (it was small) ... but the movie sections (DVD/Blu R) was getting smaller ... remembering their huge movie inventory of years past ... that made an impression on me.

Last edited:

So much for selling media at my local B&N store. They cleared out a large portion of the store for TOYS! They must be desperate. Even Toys R Us is practically in bankruptcy. Go figure out that strategy.

I've been buying the occasional CD at BestBuy or Target, 6 to 10 a year. Two, one at each, so far this year. With the good supply of CD's at the local thrifts there isn't a really big need to browse the B&M stores. If there is something specific I'm looking for I will go to Amazon for it, though I did buy a CD from SONY direct last year.

Our local BestBuy put all the $5 CD's in a bin early this year and cut back to only shelving the $7 and UP CD's. They have more shelf space devoted to Anime then they do CD's.

Mark Gosdin

So much for selling media at my local B&N store. They cleared out a large portion of the store for TOYS! They must be desperate. Even Toys R Us is practically in bankruptcy. Go figure out that strategy.

Toys R Us is bankrupt. They just opened a big store in the large outdoor mall about 5 miles from us, on the way to Disney. The space had been a Sports Authority, now that Toys R Us is reorganizing that store is on their "To Be Closed" list. I would call that particular space in the mall cursed.

Mark Gosdin

Back
Top Bottom