Soldering starter kit -- any thoughts?

Starquest

I'm just getting started with vintage audio repair/restoration. My plan is to start with this soldering setup. Any comments or thoughts would be welcome!

Solder

Kester 44 60/40 Rosin Core 0.031" Diameter

https://www.amazon.com/KESTER-SOLDER-32117-24-6040-0027-Diameter/dp/B01MSWYSUU/

A one-pound pack is about the smallest they carry for a decent price.

Soldering Station

Hakko FX888D-23BY Digital Soldering Station

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ANZRT4M

This one is highly recommend. I want one with a temperature readout so I know when it's ready.

Solder Sucker

Engineer SS-02 Solder Sucker

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002MJMXD4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1WP8PX7C2KOE0&psc=1

Saw this one on youtube and the guy really liked it. At this point I don't want to spend $250 on a desoldering station.

Am I missing anything? All these products are pretty highly rated so I think this will be a good starter setup.

Thanks!

I purchased that solder sucker also based on reviews and the apparent build quality, but the tip kept clogging and I had to stop and clean it out every 3 minutes until it finally bit the dust. I think it lasted a week...

I purchased that solder sucker also based on reviews and the apparent build quality, but the tip kept clogging and I had to stop and clean it out every 3 minutes until it finally bit the dust. I think it lasted a week...

Is cleaning out every three minutes worse than average? Is there another one you'd recommend?

You're going to love the Hakko soldering station, especially if you're coming from a cheap 40 watt plug in iron. The Hakko is ready is probably 30 seconds, and since it's temperature controlled you'll get superior results.

Solder suckers are hit and miss. If you get a good one they work fine, but if you find you're getting serious about this kind of work save up for the Hakko desoldering iron. They're not cheap but IMO they're totally worth it.

I have the same Hakko soldering station and love it. It's just right for audio work. I also have a Hakko FR300 desoldering station. I love that one too. I wouldn't do this hobby without it. Removing components from the board takes seconds and minimizes the chance of lifting traces if done properly. I made a short video of my use of the FR300 that I have posted a couple of times (trigger warning: Texas twang involved :D). Here it is if you want to see how it works. I haven't had any trouble with the nozzle clogging as long as I take a few seconds to clean it now and then when working.
Steve
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/use-of-hakko-fr300-desoldering-gun-video.741463/

Last edited:
Point of (unaffiliated) info: there's a brand new Weller unit (WE1010NA), also 70W with digital display/control that looks to compete head-on with Hakko's FX888D. It's on the TEquipment site at just over $100, shipped (list is $139, Amazon around $130).

Like many other techs here and on other forums,I went with a Hakko FX888D soldering station when I needed to replace my old system.Wow,I shoulda done it years ago!!

Here is my usual warning: The Hakko product line is likely the most counterfeited product line in the industry. The irons,tips etc have been copied right down to the exact same boxes and bags used for packaging,and unless you are really savvy,you won't be able to tell the difference.

There are many sob stories and threads where people are criticizing the performance or reliability of the ''Hakko'' product that they purchased.That is because they have purchased a fake.Those buggers are copying the units in every detail,except for the quality!

So before you order,ensure that you are purchasing your unit from an authorized Hakko distributor/dealer.You can find this info on the Hakko website.If the seller's name is NOT on the Hakko website,they are selling FAKES.Period.Don't waste your money!

Your best bet is to order one from a reputable electronics supplier,and you will often get better pricing than the inflated silliness we are seeing more and more often on Amazon.

Also,don't get sucked into thinking you're saving money buying fake tips for cheap.The real ones may cost more,but the damned things last forever:)

(Man,I should be getting a kickback from Hakko for every time i do one of these posts!:p)

+1 on getting genuine Hakko. I love 'em, but crummy fakes are everywhere.

IMO, nothing beats the classic DS-017 Soldapullt.

Here is my usual warning: The Hakko product line is likely the most counterfeited product line in the industry. The irons,tips etc have been copied right down to the exact same boxes and bags used for packaging,and unless you are really savvy,you won't be able to tell the difference.

Thanks, yeah, I've read a bit about the counterfeits. B+D Enterprises (bdent.com) is selling it on Amazon; they appear to be legit. Any qualms with them?

The Hakko comes with a T18-D16 tip, which is a small chisel tip. Will this be good for general work?

T18-D16.jpg

My crummy 30W soldering iron has a pointed tip, and I don't think it's very good. It doesn't seem to have the surface area necessary.

The Hakko comes with a T18-D16 tip, which is a small chisel tip. Will this be good for general work?

T18-D16.jpg

My crummy 30W soldering iron has a pointed tip, and I don't think it's very good. It doesn't seem to have the surface area necessary.

For general work yes, it will be good but for any tiny jobs you need something better. Try to look on tips less then 1mm. I have a tip with 0,5mm and use it with ZD-931 soldering station.

201517233452probigpic.jpg

Last edited:
For general work yes, it will be good but for any tiny jobs you need something better. Try to look on tips less then 1mm.

Alright, I'm gonna see how it goes with the supplied tip, and there are plenty of youtube videos on maintaining the tip. Thanks.

Thanks, yeah, I've read a bit about the counterfeits. B+D Enterprises (bdent.com) is selling it on Amazon; they appear to be legit. Any qualms with them?

Just because they are selling on Amazon does mean that they are in any way legit.Do they appear on the Hakko website as an official supplier? If they do not appear on the Hakko list,they are not legit:)

The tip that is supplied with the unit is perfectly suited to general use,and will even handle heavier work due to the units fast thermal recovery

I'm also in the market for a new soldering station and have a question. Are both the Weller WE1010NA and the genuine Hakko FX888D made in China?

Back
Top Bottom