Best Buy pulling CDs

They can put a Verizon booth in that space.... :)

I have to confess, I haven't been to a Best Buy in ages.
I'm not sure the US needs an electronicsish big box store any longer.
Anything they sell you can get elsewhere without the commissioned sales force.
I haven't been inside one in a long time. However, we were going out to eat the other night and passed by the parking lot of a BB and it was packed. Not sure what people are doing there, but it probably helps to see TVs rather than ordering them...though, I ordered my last 2 TVs.

I do remember a time when I would spend hours in there picking out CDs for my collection, but streaming eliminated that process.

I haven't been inside one in a long time. However, we were going out to eat the other night and passed by the parking lot of a BB and it was packed. Not sure what people are doing there, but it probably helps to see TVs rather than ordering them...though, I ordered my last 2 TVs.

I do remember a time when I would spend hours in there picking out CDs for my collection, but streaming eliminated that process.

Agree that you need to see a TV before ordering. I also think you need to give the store where you saw it a shot at the sale.
Don't need a Best Buy to do that tho.

All this being said, I hope they recover & are successful. Brick & mortar serves a purpose whether I chose to shop there or not.

This may sound odd as hell but I have never been inside a Best Buy or a Circuit City for that matter. Am I missing anything?

Agree that you need to see a TV before ordering. I also think you need to give the store where you saw it a shot at the sale.
Don't need a Best Buy to do that tho.

All this being said, I hope they recover & are successful. Brick & mortar serves a purpose whether I chose to shop there or not.
I just read reviews and knew which TV I wanted. Never saw it in a store...though, I understand why people would want to see it first.

This may sound odd as hell but I have never been inside a Best Buy or a Circuit City for that matter. Am I missing anything?

For the most part no. Some Best Buys have Magnolia sections that sell Mcintosh products and I believe that would be worth wading past the cellphone and computer stuff to see.. Sadly out local BB doesn't have a Magnolia section so no it's not worth the trip to me either.

Nobody under 30 buys or plays CDs.

9 years when we took my daughter off to college, no one had CD players or even decent stereos except for her; it was all laptops, phones, headphones and gaming system speakers. And that was 9 years ago.
She's since given me back her turntable and sold her records and streams via bluetooth to a vintage Technics receiver and the EPI 100s I restored for her.

It's a digital age out there for media these days.

It's all good fun until someone cuts the wires.

A construction site and a backhoe, somebody wearing a mask and giggling to themselves, an isp flunky with orders from the boss or a government bureaucrat with national security on their mind.

No internet, no music, if you don't have physical media.

Mark Gosdin

A construction site and a backhoe, somebody wearing a mask and giggling to themselves, an isp flunky with orders from the boss or a government bureaucrat with national security on their mind.

Mark Gosdin

That's a good point ... but IMHO ... the Rubicon has been crossed years ago. Quick story: back in the very early
1990's ... was living on a Military base in Japan. Off work ... so went to rent a VHS at the local store. The clerks looked at
me as I walked in and said "sorry, we can't rent VHS's today ... the computer is down" o_O Good grief ... epiphany ... I thought to myself ...
are we becoming that reliant on automated technology.

F099_Caesar.jpg

When the tech is no longer there ... reminds me of this scene from Lost.
Survivors of a plane crash on a deserted island ... no place to buy batteries.

I've never looked at powering up my stereo ... the same way since.
Kind of brings things in perspective.

Last edited:
Nobody under 30 buys or plays CDs.

9 years when we took my daughter off to college, no one had CD players or even decent stereos except for her; it was all laptops, phones, headphones and gaming system speakers. And that was 9 years ago.
She's since given me back her turntable and sold her records and streams via bluetooth to a vintage Technics receiver and the EPI 100s I restored for her.

Yep. Eighteen-year-old high school senior and a 19-year-old college sophomore daughters listen to music in this exact fashion. Even though it's their generation's "thing," the sight of their phones with Spotify or a self-created playlist of .mp3s transmitted to a nearby bluetooth speaker still strike me as rather detached/sterile. I. at 44, admittedly do the same while during yardwork in the sping/summer/fall, but when I venture indoors music via my preamp/amp/floorstanding loudspeakers is a must. If the wireless tech is used as background distraction while engaged in a more immediate task, I get it. Using such a method as the primary way to listen to music - no way.

Mark Gosdin

Meh, same scenario if it's a power line.
I guess we all need to get harmonicas or acoustic geetars... :D

Nah. My dad has an early 1900s Edison phonograph that is requires no electricity. Just crank it up, play a side, crank it up again, and so on.

Speak for yourself.
If I have to learn to play harp, a green bullet and an old Fender is going to be involved.:smoke:

I bought a little over a cd a day in 2017

Figured I'd stick to downloads this year.

First new release I wanted, not available as a download. :confused:

Wow! Can't even imagine buying that many. Vinyl is what I buy mostly ... my entire collection only consists of around 1500 (including some overstock or culls).

Thing is ... Iv'e got most of what I want to own on Vinyl ... Classic Rock wise anyway. I have a hard time coming up w/ want lists.

CDs? Not sure how many I own ... have not entered it into Discog's. I'm guessing maybe 500'ish (purchased in years past)... might be more. :idea: I've traded some in over the years and it's all stored in the basement boxes.

Sub Streaming (since 2012) is what I listen too mostly these days. Not trying to convince anybody ... just saying.

Last edited:
... when I venture indoors music via my preamp/amp/floorstanding loudspeakers is a must. If the wireless tech is used as background distraction while engaged in a more immediate task, I get it. Using such a method as the primary way to listen to music - no way.

Well, casting Bluetooth is one option, but you might be surprised at what you can stream via a laptop and a DAC. I have several friends who find Tidal HiFi at $19.99/month suits them well; I'm actually pretty happy myself with Spotify Premium @ $9.99/month and am liquidating much of my lesser played commons to finance the streaming.

If nothing else, it is EXTREMELY cost effective way to audition pieces and performance w/o buying; at the indicated prices, not buying a couple clunkers pays the bill.

I agree with ^ Andy man.
Plugged my Galaxy S7 into the old stereo system Sunday night and rocked Spotify for hours. Pretty galdarned convenient.

Back
Top Bottom