Chromecast Audio - Tell us you success stories

I have been having issues with my Apple TV, through which I stream music.

This week, I installed a cc audio. It works well... no issues.

Question for the forum with router expertise.

I want to experiment with changing the channel selection on the 2.4GHz band of my router.

Can I do this 'on the fly' without interruption of devices connected, or does this require rebooting every device to re-connect?

Question for the forum with router expertise.

I want to experiment with changing the channel selection on the 2.4GHz band of my router.

Can I do this 'on the fly' without interruption of devices connected, or does this require rebooting every device to re-connect?

Pretty sure it will require a reconnect.

IIRC your devices should stay connected. My devices automatically reconnect when I reboot my router.

Change to channel either 1, 6 or 11. The channels over lap by five channels, so channel 1 is different than channel 2.

EDIT: I just changed my router from channel 1 to 11. Nothing disconnected even though the router GUI said they would. The router did not need to reboot to make this change.

Last edited:
Well, my router requires rebooting itself in order for changes to be put into effect.

I changed to Channel 11 from "Auto" - and still get some occasional dropeouts on my CCA.

Still can't figure out the mysterious appearance/disappearance of my CCA casting from my laptop. Yesterday it disappeared, and today it is back (before I made the router change).

I think you either have a defective CCA or there is some sort of interference in your home or nearby such as a baby monitor or a microwave oven. It seems you have way too many dropouts. I hope you get this figured out.

I think you either have a defective CCA or there is some sort of interference in your home or nearby such as a baby monitor or a microwave oven. It seems you have way too many dropouts. I hope you get this figured out.
I have a friend who doesn't even use his CCA.

I'm going to borrow his to see if I can out where the issue is.

And if you can, try the CCA very near the router. I know that WiFi signals can have weak spots just like a speaker in a room can have nulls at certain spots. And if that works, try swapping the CCAs and see if the problem stays with the location or stays with the individual CCA.

My friend will be coming by next Monday.

Til then it's back to casting from my android phone; the CCA disappeared again from my laptop.

And if you can, try the CCA very near the router. I know that WiFi signals can have weak spots just like a speaker in a room can have nulls at certain spots. And if that works, try swapping the CCAs and see if the problem stays with the location or stays with the individual CCA.
I suppose I could try that - but, my phone can 'find' the CCA just fine.

And the CCA is on the network; can ping it from my laptop, just can't 'see' it to cast. ??

Aah, OK, so the problem is only when using the laptop? Does casting via the phone work OK, or does it also cause dropouts?

Aah, OK, so the problem is only when using the laptop? Does casting via the phone work OK, or does it also cause dropouts?
Sometimes it has dropouts as well.

I got the family to move off of the 2.4GHz band, although some other devices are still on it; printer, security cameras, 2 android phones. And I changed the 2.4 channel to 11.

I can't correlate the dropouts to anything specific. They hit and for a stretch of time it's like listening to an old Chevy Chase skit.

I've disabled crash reports back to the Google mother ship.

Baby monitors and security cameras can wreak havoc with WiFi, depending on many factors. I would shut down the cameras for a few hours and see if that helps.

I've had my Chromecast Audio up and running since I got it during the 2017 Black Friday sales. Mine is powered off the switched outlet on the back of a Sansui receiver so that it is only running when the receiver is switched on. I just use a simple 1/8" to RCA cable. Setup was dead simple with the Google Home app on my Android phone. It updated itself during setup and has been stable and solid ever since. I've been streaming to it mostly while making and eating dinner. My wife and I can both cast to it from our devices, no problem. I just wish that streaming sound from YouTube to it didn't need to involve the Home app. Oh, and I did figure out that you need to go into the settings and flip a switch to allow it to send out full-bandwidth signals instead of the clipped default meant for little Bluetooth speakers. It lives in the room adjacent to our ASUS Wi-Fi router and is connected to the 5 GHz portion of our home network. We also have a 2nd gen video Chromecast hooked up to one of the HDMI ports on the back of the home theatre receiver and it has performed flawlessly for over a year.

Baby monitors and security cameras can wreak havoc with WiFi, depending on many factors. I would shut down the cameras for a few hours and see if that helps.
How so? Is there something I can check to see if/when the cameras 'wreak havoc'? I made a list of devices by IP and MAC address, so I'd like to be able to pinpoint troublesome devices, or maybe its the router, or maybe I do have a bad CCA.

That last part will be verified come Monday when I get to borrow my friend's CCA.

If I still have problems (and I'm betting I will), then the finger of blame blows to the router or a 'havoc wreaking' device on my network.

I have eliminated the backyard cameras as they are put into disable/sleep mode during the day and I still get CCA dropouts.

(aside: my CCA suddenly re-appeared on my laptop today)

This might sound completely stupid, but are any of the devices, like for instance your laptop, on a 5g network? I had tons of problems when my provider stealth upgraded us to 5g wifi service (the Chromecast, like many devices will only work reliably on a 2.x wifi setup... and any devices that you want to stream to the Chromecast need to be on the 2.x wifi as well)...

This might sound completely stupid, but are any of the devices, like for instance your laptop, on a 5g network? I had tons of problems when my provider stealth upgraded us to 5g wifi service (the Chromecast, like many devices will only work reliably on a 2.x wifi setup... and any devices that you want to stream to the Chromecast need to be on the 2.x wifi as well)...
My laptop, android phone, and the CCA are on the 2.4GHz band.

I was in contact with TP-Link tech support asking about any recent firmware upgrades - just to confirm my C7 router was up to date. After I described my CCA issues, tech support did turn me on to a 'feature' to try under the 2.4GHz settings: enable WDS bridging to allow the "survey" button to be enabled. Then click survey to see what wifi networks were in proximity and what channels they were using.

Turns out 1, 6 AND 11 were crowded. I made a change to my C7 to use channel 8, narrowed the bandwidth from 40 to 20, and I seem to be getting better and more consistent CCA performance. Not perfect - still the occasional dropout, but the number and duration has gone waaay down.

I still can't figure out why my laptop can't find my CCA. It *seems* like that if I reboot the router (had to do that for the channel change) or the CCA, the CCA disappears from my laptop and it takes about 2 days for it to come back. ??

Back
Top Bottom