CD players with variable output

I have an older, non remote controlled Cambridge Audio integrated amp that I like fine, and don't want to replace. I also have an older Sony CD player that is remote controlled but has fixed outputs. Since this system is in my home office, and only used to listen to my CD collection, I really need some way to control the volume of a CD player. Anybody have any suggestions on CD player makes/models that you are familiar with that the output can be controlled by its remote? Also, a lot of my CDs are CDRs so I need it to be able to read those too. Over 20 years ago I had a NAD 5300 that had variable outputs controlled by the remote, but I am doubting it read CDRs. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sony CDP-597 from the 90's has a fixed and variable output that is also remote controlled. I have one and it sounds pretty good considering DAC technology when it was made.

A lot of older Yamaha CD players are variable output and remote controlled. The gain is electronically controlled so the precision is not great. Sony variable output is much better. Most ES will have variable output. Some non-ES like the CDP-970 are more affordable. Honorable mention to Adcom GCD-575 but the variable output is not remote controlled.

The last 4 generations of Oppo players have variable output. And, play SACDs.

Last edited:
A lot of older Yamaha CD players are variable output and remote controlled. The gain is electronically controlled so the precision is not great. Sony variable output is much better. Most ES will have variable output. Some non-ES like the CDP-970 are more affordable. Honorable mention to Adcom GCD-575 but the variable output is not remote controlled.
My first 'real' cd player was a Sony, I think it was a CDP-770. It had that variable output thing going.
It was a solid player. It ended up as my garage player for a few years, and even when it was -25c it still played.
From what I recall it did well with CDRs as well. I think the only ones it had an issue with were those ones with the black reflective layer.

Technics SL-P 1200 had variable output, but I'm quite sure the output level could not be controlled by the remote.

Technics SL-P 1200 had variable output, but I'm quite sure the output level could not be controlled by the remote.

Way late to this thread but I stumbled across this while I was looking for CD to Amp ideas. And I have a Technics SL-P1200...

Wireless remote control with a ten key is attached.
With this remote control, the digital attenuator functionality in which a sound volume other than the functionality of main units, such as direct song selection, can be adjusted from 0dB to -12dB per 2dB, and the programmable music scan which reproduces the intro fraction of music one by one are carried.

It may be that only the wired remote can control the volume. I had a wireless remote but that disappeared and I have never come across the wired version which I would scoop up if I ever did.

Way late to this thread but I stumbled across this while I was looking for CD to Amp ideas. And I have a Technics SL-P1200...

Wireless remote control with a ten key is attached.
With this remote control, the digital attenuator functionality in which a sound volume other than the functionality of main units, such as direct song selection, can be adjusted from 0dB to -12dB per 2dB, and the programmable music scan which reproduces the intro fraction of music one by one are carried.

It may be that only the wired remote can control the volume. I had a wireless remote but that disappeared and I have never come across the wired version which I would scoop up if I ever did.

I've been after a SL-P1300 for the longest time.

Sony CDP-597 from the 90's has a fixed and variable output that is also remote controlled. I have one and it sounds pretty good considering DAC technology when it was made.
My Sony CDP 690 has variable output,and i can adjust the output level using a knob level phone!

Back
Top Bottom