Soldering starter kit -- any thoughts?

you'll want some desoldering braid as well as a sucker. Sometimes one works and one doesn't.

The suckers I use are labeled "soldapullt" curious if the one you listed works better or worse.

Also get the Hakko tip cleaner scrunchie thing. It's way better than a wet sponge.

Those soldapullt DS-017 's are great. Been using them for 35 years. Will last for years by replacing the tips. Had the old one from work non ESD. Got extra tips. Use GC Electronics Z9 thermal paste. Solder wick is invaluable when it's the only way to remove solder from a PCB connection of a transistor or triac.

Yep. I bought the 5 oz. tube for $35. I'm a 67 year old hobbyist. I think I will be able to hand that tube down to my kids and grandkids. :rflmao:

I hear that! I bought the 5 oz tube when I built this in high school.I still have that tube AND the magazine; fried the amp years ago:biggrin:

b2b417a77bd4a7ade73f376670524ff2.jpg

As to the chisel tip that comes with the Hakko, I have other tips for my Hakko 936 but 99.99% of my soldering is done with the chisel tip and I have done thousands of joints with mine.

you'll want some desoldering braid as well as a sucker. Sometimes one works and one doesn't.

The suckers I use are labeled "soldapullt" curious if the one you listed works better or worse.

Also get the Hakko tip cleaner scrunchie thing. It's way better than a wet sponge.
Have only used solderwic product. may be a brand name but wicking with the braid is all i have ever needed.

Have only used solderwic product. may be a brand name but wicking with the braid is all i have ever needed.

That's the thing with braid,you have to buy a top quality brand-name.Soder-Wick & Chem-Wik. Anything else is just an exercise in frustration!

That's the thing with braid,you have to buy a top quality brand-name.Soder-Wick & Chem-Wik. Anything else is just an exercise in frustration!
Yea the solder wic is embedded with a chemical. i think is probably a flux. I use it real sparingly and it's a shiny silver before i cut it off. Good to know you have tested other stuff. I wont waste my time.

Back
Top Bottom