Dac's with AES/EBU input

totem

Addicted Member
I have an older Tascam CD-401 with the optional AES/EBU outputs and have always wanted to
try a DAC that had the AES/EBU inputs.

I realize its not as common/needed a feature these day's but perhaps that's an opportunity
for me to pick one up and give it a try.

What models would be worth a listen?

I don't know if you are asking about new DACs with AES/EBU inputs (I don't know the answer to that), but the Adcom GDA-600 and GDA-700 from the '90s have them. These are generally well regarded older DACs, although there is a range of opinions out there. I have a GDA-700 and I like it, but I have not tried the AES/EBU inputs as I don't have any sources with suitable outputs.

The Tascam CD-401 3-prong output connectors are not AES/EBU. They are balanced analog XLR which connect to a balanced analog XLR input on a pre-amp or AVR.

Unfortunately, your CD-401 has one digital coax output so you can't connect it to a DAC via AES/EBU. It does not have that output.

Last edited:
The Tascam CD-401 3-prong output connectors are not AES/EBU.

This CD-401 has the optional AES/EBU board factory option but as you noted the standard unit does not have it.

As to new or older DAC's likely a used one of recent design seems at the top of the list.

I am going to make an educated guess and say it likely doesn't matter on relatively short cable runs which connection you use, especially if the DAC is designed to reject jitter.

Gustard DAC-X12, DAC-X9, DAC-X20, DAC-X22, have AES/EBU as well as the usual USB, Toslink and coaxial inputs. It also has both unbalanced RCA and balanced XLR outputs if you want to run it into some pro audio gear.

I've a DAC-X12 presently which will soon be retired in favor of a Gieseler Groß DAC.The X12 is currently my top DAC though there's no way it's in the same league as the Gieseler.

I use Benchmark DAC1 and DAC2.

Ditto the Benchmark DACs. I've got 2 of them as well. They serve now as my primary preamps for both analog and digital playback. I like the fact they switch over to a full analog signal chain for analog inputs so I can run my phono preamp directly into them that way.

They've got _lots_ of inputs including AES/EBU. They're not inexpensive but you can take advantage of their discounts for prior models they have in stock. That's how I buy mine!

Cheers,

David

I picked up two new DAC2 DX from Amazon for 40% off. One in April and one in October. They don't like stale inventory so their system will get aggressive on such items that tend to move slowly.

My older Anthem AVM 20 HT pre/pro has AES/EBU input. Probably find one of those at less cost than a standalone DAC.

Back
Top Bottom