Rush: A Musical Journey

This thread needs another pic...
A Farewell To Kings - Rush
A1/B1, JAMF x 2.
LUroPkC.jpg

Kevin,

Thank you for creating this thread! Very thorough and concise! Also, thank you to everyone else for their contributions to this thread as well.

I first discovered Rush with their first release in 1974, age 10. Once Niel jumped on board, I was hooked for life. Definitely one of my all time favorite rock bands.

I come late to the thread, which is appropriate enough, since I came late to the band, as well. Even so, I was/am more of a casual fan. The tracks Working Man and Tom Sawyer, and a couple other hits on the radio. Reviews were good, but I never bought the records, or went out of my way to hear an album because I was one of those put off by Geddy Lee's voice - don't throw rocks, oh, go ahead - but I'm not here to thread crap. I'm simply explaining that learning to like Rush was work for me.

However, I was finally willing to give them the shot they never got from me first time around, because I recognized the talent - this a few years ago (probably ten or more, time... ). Even though I knew better, I bought Spirit of Radio, too much of a greatest hits type package - like buying a Joe Walsh compilation rather than James Gang Rides Again and So What or Smoker Drink Player Get. Just being a cheapskate.

Tried to get into it several times, but somehow it just didn't gel for me - the hits had been overplayed and that voice kept me at bay - the album got little play and a few more years went by, as my taste for various progressive bands kept growing, and Dream Theater really got my attention. Love that band, who are huge Rush fans, of course, and how could they be wrong? All my progressive AK friends can't be wrong, either.

Someone has previously remarked that they wouldn't listen to something they didn't like just because other people did, virtually implying I'm a sheeple. There are plenty of popular artists I don't like and I avoid their music. However, over the years, there has also been a great deal of music I didn't initially enjoy that I came to love. Broadening my musical horizon has not always been easy, but often rewarding. And Rush is in the wheelhouse of my favorite type of rock.

So I bought Hemispheres and 2112 a couple or so years ago and found I enjoyed them. Have added some other titles since. I read the entire thread before this post, and it's putting me in the mood for listening to the band. It certainly doesn't hurt at all that KevinJS has a writing bone, and has made this an interesting brief history of the group. Very nice job, sir, and keep on truckin' that pen.

Last edited:
@musichal, My Rush journey was much like yours. I didn't like Rush when I first heard them. They were gaining popularity on the AOR radio stations when I was in high school but I usually changed stations. For me also, it was Geddy Lee's voice. Starting with Moving Pictures I learned to love them. I now like, and listen to, all their albums. I guess it doesn't matter if we're late to the party as long as we show up.

-Dave

... I was one of those put off by Geddy Lee's voice ...
I used to call him "helium head." :D

I'm a latecomer also. I actually got into them via some high-res downloads four or five years ago, and by watching one of the documentaries. I'm pretty much a fan of Moving Pictures and Signals, and (no flaming, please) actually like Hold Your Fire quite a bit (the songwriting and the lyrics, especially). The other albums have high points as well, and it does take a bit of listening for me to get into them. I don't get into the whole hate thing over the synths myself--I grew up with music in the late 70s through the mid to late 80s, so synths were everywhere.

Got many of the vinyl reissues when they came out. It's nice to hear these on clean vinyl! (And so hard to find used vinyl that isn't thrashed to a pulp.)

Back
Top Bottom