First Dac

noobydoo

Hello everyone. So I've begun looking in to purchasing a Dac for use with a laptop that I use as a music source. A couple of quick questions. I'm currently using the 3.5mm jack to rca adapter which I feed to the cd input orn my Yamaha rx v4600 avr which also serves as a pre amp. My only other source is a Sony Blue ray player which has a decent onboard dac if I understand correctly.
1. Will there be a noticeable improvement by inserting a usb dac into the signal chain between the PC and the avr.
2. will there be an improvement if I use hdmi from the dac to the avr instead of the 3.5-rca connection.
Any input(no pun intended) would be appreciated.
Cheers

Last edited:
USB DAC between PC and receiver will produce the best results. USB DAC to DAC seems redundant.

HDMI to DAC? Did you find a DAC with HDMI in? Most are USB, digital coax, optical or AES/EBU in some cases.

USB DAC between PC and receiver will produce the best results. USB DAC to DAC seems redundant.

HDMI to DAC? Did you find a DAC with HDMI in? Most are USB, digital coax, optical or AES/EBU in some cases.
Hello. I maybe wasn't very clear. I am planning to use a USB dac between pc and avr. I was simply wondering will an HDMI connection between dac and avr offer better sound or is the 3.5 to rca ok The first part of my question is a dac even necessary, or is it just introducing an extra component into the signal path, albeit one with amplification. . The main reason I'm considering a dac is my understanding that it facilitates use of a streaming service and is better able to cope with D\A conversion than the D\A converter on my laptop.cheers

Last edited:
You don't need a DAC as you have one already in your receiver and all the cheap options will be worse than it. All you need to do is find a way to send digital audio from your laptop to the Yamaha receiver, some laptops have an optical digital output integrated with the 3.5mm jack, if yours has it all you need is a Toslink cable with the mini-plug on one end which goes into your laptop, the other goes into your receiver, you may need to assign the optical input on the receiver to your liking. If no optical output on you laptop you need a USB to SPDIF converter, this one will do up to 96kHz/24 bits which is enough for streaming, playing lossless CD rips, and even Tidal Masters: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-Compu...003507?hash=item3af20c6bf3:g:VRAAAOSwYkBZxHbZ , it doubles as a DAC but I wouldn't use it as such. Connect it like this: laptop -> USB -> PCM2704 -> optical or coax -> Yamaha digital input.

If you want to up the game a bit look for SMSL X-USB, but I wouldn't pay more than $50-60 for it.

And if you must have a new DAC, look for Topping D10, it is a DAC and a good USB to SPDIF converter in one box, so you get both and have an option using it as a DAC or as a USB to SPDIF converter with your receiver. D10 was just on Massdrop for like $75.

Last edited:
I thank you very much. That is the answer I was looking for. I was sceptical of the need for a dac. One more question. Could I not just use the Hdmi output on the laptop into the hdmi input on the amp. Would this not give me the same result as using the usb to optical?

I thank you very much. That is the answer I was looking for. I was sceptical of the need for a dac. One more question. Could I not just use the Hdmi output on the laptop into the hdmi input on the amp. Would this not give me the same result as using the usb to optical?

You might be able to, much depends if the driver supports it. If you have HDMI audio showing as an audio device try playing through it. This is not a typical audio path so there may be some unwanted resampling happening in the way even if it works, and you might not be able to use WASAPI with it. But you should definitely try it.

I checked out the link. Definitely the way to go. Even cheaper than a good HDMI cable. Thanks again for all your help and for your knowledgeable responses. Cheers

You're welcome. You still need a cable to your receiver, don't use analog RCA interonnects instead of coax. If you have an old composite 75 Ohm video cable with RCA connectors (usually yellow) you can use that. And that converter, you want to use it set to max volume and control volume on your receiver for best SQ, at least keep it above 75% (it will be synced with the volume slider on the PC).

You're welcome. You still need a cable to your receiver, don't use analog RCA interonnects instead of coax. If you have an old composite 75 Ohm video cable with RCA connectors (usually yellow) you can use that. And that converter, you want to use it set to max volume and control volume on your receiver for best SQ, at least keep it above 75% (it will be synced with the volume slider on the PC).
Got it. Thanks again. BTW i edited my original post. I had written between dac and avr when I meant between pc and avr. CHeers

Not much point until you jump up to $700 or so, which is still entry level though in a different league to say a Topping D30 or S.M.S.L M8. Where separate, inexpensive DAC's come in useful is with older amps which are analog only or with low end or older AVR's.

Having said that there are good and bad DAC's at all price points. A little research never hurts.

Yes, you certainly can use the HDMI output of your laptop connected to one of the HDMI inputs of your receiver... the DAC in your receiver will convert the digital audio stream, no need for a separate DAC if you go this route

I have a HTPC (home theater personal computer) connected to my receiver via HDMI and it works perfectly fine for music, as well

Back
Top Bottom