Disappointed about my stereo repairs.

Thanks for sharing your experiences, Bill. So, if we're looking for a good repair shop, we should avoid anyplace that doesn't have incense burning? I wonder if acid couldn't be helpful to a technician to allow him to "see" where the problem is? (I've tried that technique, but everything kept strobing and undulating.)

Excellent response Todd, and your most welcome Sir; though I never tried studying, nor working on gear while "flying", the very few times I ventured
"Mildly stoned" maybe, but no Timothy Leary arm chair mental vacations !!

I must have been doing something right, cause I had to change my home/shop unlisted tel. # twice so as to have some peace from off hours repair requests 1989 to 2002 when I retired repairing for the public up here..

Never burned one stick of incense in my whole life..

The unscented versions used outside for firework`s ignition, but that`s it !! I swear !!

Seek whatever repair person, if needed, that you feel comfortable with..

I fix only my close friend`s and my own self needs anymore..

Enjoy the music, anyway you can or choose..

OKB

Last edited:
Some advice:
1. If your "tech says he can't get the parts, in most cases he is either incompetent or doesn't want to bother. Almost any transistor has a modern replacement with the exception of Vfets. Capacitors, resistors are basically unchanged from the original parts. IC's can be a problem, as can mechanical parts like switches, but even those, if your tech is clever, can be replaced or repaired. Broken wafer switches can be glued back together with JB Weld and the traces jumpered. I have 2 amps in the shop right now that the previous tech said he couldn't get the transistors. I haven't looked at them yet, but I am highly skeptical.
2. No repair should take longer than 2 weeks unless there are extenuating circumstances which should be explained to your satisfaction.
3. There are a lot of "repair" shops that are totally incompetent. I repaired a preamp that the customer had taken to a local shop that is well known. He received it back and one channel was out. The shop had put in a wrong tube! This couldn't have worked on the bench if they had bothered to check it once the work was done. Do your homework. Ask other audiophile friends in your area who they take their equipment to. Or ask here.

:thumbsup: + :beerchug:

You should get some sort of report to prove the work has been done and the item tested thoroughly.

A bare minimum performance report should be something like this (this is my basic one for all amps):

jvc redacted.JPG

Some shops should be able to give you the equivalent of this (FR plots, tone bypass and filters etc)

1152dc.JPG

Last edited:
Sir, I doubt it not. I bet you truly could (I've read your posts for years). You're also about as geographically far away as possible from me within the continental US.

How about three?

I still have a restored SX-1250 (Mattsd, hats off, sir) a Sansui AU-G99X (Mattsd again) and a restored SX-1010 (Zebulon is the man on that specific model).

Then there are the ones I have that sit unrestored, but still work just fine.

Moving forward, though, I don't see me investing any more money into the vintage receivers. .
Nothing. How about 8 ? Pioneer sx 636, 680, 737, 780, 850 , 990, 1010 and a rare Kenwood 8050. I don't need all these. My tech is 40 miles away. It's hard to walk away . But I will now.

Excellent response Todd, and your most welcome Sir; though I never tried studying, nor working on gear while "flying", the very few times I ventured
Mildly stoned" maybe, but no Timothy Leary arm chair mental vacations !!

I must have been doing something right, cause I had to change my home/shop unlisted tel. # twice so as to have some peace from off hours repair requests 1989 to 2002 when I retired repairing for the public up here..

Never burned one stick of incense in my whole life..

The unscented versions used outside for firework`s ignition, but that`s it !! I swear !!

Seek whatever repair person, if needed, that you feel comfortable with..

I fix only my close friend`s and my own self needs anymore..

Enjoy the music, anyway you can or choose..

OKB

Thanks for the likes folks, that you`ve so generously given me on this babble of mine, especially Tom Dodds..

Take care and have a great week, as best you can..

Very kind regards folks, OKB

Some advice:
1. If your "tech says he can't get the parts, in most cases he is either incompetent or doesn't want to bother. Almost any transistor has a modern replacement with the exception of Vfets. Capacitors, resistors are basically unchanged from the original parts. IC's can be a problem, as can mechanical parts like switches, but even those, if your tech is clever, can be replaced or repaired. Broken wafer switches can be glued back together with JB Weld and the traces jumpered. I have 2 amps in the shop right now that the previous tech said he couldn't get the transistors. I haven't looked at them yet, but I am highly skeptical.
2. No repair should take longer than 2 weeks unless there are extenuating circumstances which should be explained to your satisfaction.
3. There are a lot of "repair" shops that are totally incompetent. I repaired a preamp that the customer had taken to a local shop that is well known. He received it back and one channel was out. The shop had put in a wrong tube! This couldn't have worked on the bench if they had bothered to check it once the work was done. Do your homework. Ask other audiophile friends in your area who they take their equipment to. Or ask here.

Appreciate hearing your opinion. Due to my experience at the repair shop. I think my vintage exploration will be limited. I will keep a couple of vintage receivers on hand. But I don't think I will start a big collection of items like some people.

I gave a Yamaha M-85 power amp to an old friend as a gift. I got it at a thrift shop for $75, IIRC. It needed some minor work (replacing RCA inputs etc. I wanted to keep it — but I didn't need it and my friend did. He paired it with his McIntosh preamp, and they sounded great through the Martin Logans I'd loaned him.

A year later, one channel died. He didn't call me, or I'd have come over and showed him how to troubleshoot, and find the problem. He just assumed it was the Yamaha — thrift shop? $75? fixed by me, an amateur? It COULDN'T POSSIBLY be his beloved $3500 McIntosh preamp.

He took it to a local repair shop. A month later they said it was ready. They also said it was working perfectly when he brought it in. They replaced a couple of caps, blew the dust out — and charged him $450.

Sure enough, it was his beloved $3500 McIntosh with the dead channel.

That repair, a legitmate one, cost him another $600. Lessons: don't make assumptions when you're ignorant; and consult your friends, when they're not entirely ignorant, before you drop over a grand. At the very least, I'd have warned him against that repair shop — I went there once, and they told me three lies in one minute.

That repair shop went out of business. They were notorious for rip-offs like that. I suppose they actually repaired a few things along the way. It's now a Pilates studio.

I gave a Yamaha M-85 power amp to an old friend as a gift. I got it at a thrift shop for $75, IIRC. It needed some minor work (replacing RCA inputs etc. I wanted to keep it — but I didn't need it and my friend did. He paired it with his McIntosh preamp, and they sounded great through the Martin Logans I'd loaned him.

A year later, one channel died. He didn't call me, or I'd have come over and showed him how to troubleshoot, and find the problem. He just assumed it was the Yamaha — thrift shop? $75? fixed by me, an amateur? It COULDN'T POSSIBLY be his beloved $3500 McIntosh preamp.

He took it to a local repair shop. A month later they said it was ready. They also said it was working perfectly when he brought it in. They replaced a couple of caps, blew the dust out — and charged him $450.

Sure enough, it was his beloved $3500 McIntosh with the dead channel.

That repair, a legitmate one, cost him another $600. Lessons: don't make assumptions when you're ignorant; and consult your friends, when they're not entirely ignorant, before you drop over a grand. At the very least, I'd have warned him against that repair shop — I went there once, and they told me three lies in one minute.

That repair shop went out of business. They were notorious for rip-offs like that. I suppose they actually repaired a few things along the way. It's now a Pilates studio.

Very sad, indeed !!

Very sad, indeed !!
It got sadder, Bill. I'd known this friend since high school. Good friends. We shared a loft in Soho NYC in the 1960s, and a house in LA in the '90s. He was rich, all inherited, not a penny earned. He actually kept a list of ageing aunts and uncles, calculated when they would probably die, and how much money they'd leave him in their wills. He planned his life according to that list. Having no job, no calling, no purpose, his life was pretty empty. He was depressed, and took meds for it. He was still depressed, and took different meds. He ended up on so many meds they filled two medicine cabinets. He started losing his mind. The Martin Logans I loaned him? He claimed they were his and wouldn't give them back. Being rich he had a huge place in a ritzy part of LA. He let me store stuff in his garage, including some great and rare vintage speakers — Altecs, JBLs, Quads, etc — and about 1,000 rare, collectible LPs. That was really nice of him. One day he called a thrift shop, and gave all my stuff away. He never told me, I found out when I went to his garage to get something and it was totally empty. Value, maybe $30K. I'm not rich and it pissed me off, not just the money but all the beauty he simply discarded. Eventually all his relatives were dead and there were no more inheritances. But he had investments and his cousin was managing them for him. Or so he thought. His cousin stole all the money. Finally broke, he hanged himself. He didn't jump off a ladder or anything to snap his neck and die fast — he just dangled there strangulating. That was last year. Nobody found him for over a week. He anticipated this, because he had few friends, and he was thoughtful — he sealed all the windows and turned up the AC to full blast, so his body wouldn't rot in the icy air and stink up the neighborhood.

Yes, very sad indeed. Sometimes I think back to those days in the '60s, when we were in our 20s. He played at having a career like normal people — he was a fashion photographer, and had the best gear money could buy — Nikons, Hasselblads, Linhofs. We not only shared the Soho loft, we shared fashion models. I remember him a decade later when he had a villa in Marrakech, and I visited him. All the locals loved him, because he wasn't a rich arrogant foreigner, he showed them respect by learning their customs. He did Ramadan when they did. Brian Eno landed in Marrakech after Roxy Music broke up, he was kind of lost and wanted nothing to do with music anymore. He thought my friend was a "spiritual master", and he helped Eno get his head together, and start composing again. He was a good man, and a cool guy, but it slowly disintegrated. I knew a lot of "trust fund kids" and very few made meaningful lives for themselves. Some were like Jared and Ivanka, all flash with nothing inside. Having money handed to you can be a curse.

All this has nothing to do with Audio... but a lot to do with Karma, so it's half on-topic. I just needed to get it off my chest. Thanks for your patience.

Last edited:
It got sadder, Bill. I'd known this friend since high school. Good friends. We shared a loft in Soho NYC in the 1960s, and a house in LA in the '90s. He was rich, all inherited, not a penny earned. He actually kept a list of ageing aunts and uncles, calculated when they would probably die, and how much money they'd leave him in their wills. He planned his life according to that list. Having no job, no calling, no purpose, his life was pretty empty. He was depressed, and took meds for it. He was still depressed, and took different meds. He ended up on so many meds they filled two medicine cabinets. He started losing his mind. The Martin Logans I loaned him? He claimed they were his and wouldn't give them back. Being rich he had a huge place in a ritzy part of LA. He let me store stuff in his garage, including some great and rare vintage speakers — Altecs, JBLs, Quads, etc — and about 1,000 rare, collectible LPs. That was really nice of him. One day he called a thrift shop, and gave all my stuff away. He never told me, I found out when I went to his garage to get something and it was totally empty. Value, maybe $30K. I'm not rich and it pissed me off, not just the money but all the beauty he simply discarded. Eventually all his relatives were dead and there were no more inheritances. But he had investments and his cousin was managing them for him. Or so he thought. His cousin stole all the money. Finally broke, he hanged himself. He didn't jump off a ladder or anything to snap his neck and die fast — he just dangled there strangulating. That was last year. Nobody found him for over a week. He anticipated this, because he had few friends, and he was thoughtful — he sealed all the windows and turned up the AC to full blast, so his body wouldn't rot in the icy air and stink up the neighborhood.

Yes, very sad indeed. Sometimes I think back to those days in the '60s, when we were in our 20s. He played at having a career like normal people — he was a fashion photographer, and had the best gear money could buy — Nikons, Hasselblads, Linhofs. We not only shared the Soho loft, we shared fashion models. I remember him a decade later when he had a villa in Marrakech, and I visited him. All the locals loved him, because he wasn't a rich arrogant foreigner, he showed them respect by learning their customs. He did Ramadan when they did. Brian Eno landed in Marrakech after Roxy Music broke up, he was kind of lost and wanted nothing to do with music anymore. He thought my friend was a "spiritual master", and he helped Eno get his head together, and start composing again. He was a good man, and a cool guy, but it slowly disintegrated. I knew a lot of "trust fund kids" and very few made meaningful lives for themselves. Some were like Jared and Ivanka, all flash with nothing inside. Having money handed to you can be a curse.

All this has nothing to do with Audio... but a lot to do with Karma, so it's half on-topic. I just needed to get it off my chest. Thanks for your patience.

Man, what a story bimasta, and you`re right it did get sadder, but interesting !!

I guess I`m very lucky in some respects of your story.
Being on an lifetime annuity from a medical malpractice law suit that came about from a supposedly top flight neurosurgeon delaying the removable abscess from between my brain and skull that was paralyzing my left side over a period of two weeks before under threat of my father I was finally operated on..
But, by that time that portion of my brain had be deprived of oxygen from the swelling of the abscess that it was now dead !!

Anyway back to my point..
After I initiated a law suit against the hospital and the University of Miami Fl. I really wasn`t sure I would win.
So since I had taught myself how to repair electronic equipment and had lost my electronic repair business while I was in the hospital for nearly six months(11/19/81~4/1/82).
I was forced to move in with my parents as I was without any income @ 27 years old.

I thought my love of repairing electronics life/carreer was over and started to sell off my test equipment, but my wise engineer father saw something in me that I didn`t, and bought a 12`X12` shed, that I was to slowly repay him back when I started to make some money.
He setup my old original big ass oak desk that I used at my apartment to work on my gear in that shed, and told me to quit selling my test equipment and start trying to figure how to get around my limitations of no functional use of my left arm/hand and become productive again..
He saw something in me that I couldn`t see, as I was super depressed about the whole situation and on anti seizure medication called Dilantin, which was screwing with my mind, as a side effect, but he figured if I could teach myself how to repair electronics, then I could figure out how do it with the use of one hand..
Well that what I started doing after I slowly weaned myself of the Dilantin over the summer of 82 and my head became clearer.

Back to my point--
I started becoming effectively proficient again in repairing while waiting the 2 years for the law suit to come to it`s conclusion.
And not knowing if I`d win, and not wanting to be a financial burden on my parents for the rest of their lives, if I didn`t win..

Anyway, the bottom line point here, is I made a pack with myself, that if I won big bucks(aka "blood money") from the law suit, that I wouldn`t let the money change me/go to my head, other than help make my cripple life more comfortable, plus resume my original earning capability, as they(the defendant`s) determined during the law suit`s discovery process. and provide the means to be able to pay people to do the things that I just couldn`t physically do any more, if needed.

After I won the suit, I continued to repair(outside of the Ladies, my real true love !!) and I eventually gained a reputation as a go to guy if someone wanted their electronic equipment repaired properly and be reliable and after a few years of repairing my friends musical equipment, the word got out and the Jacksonville music stores started calling me up for using my repair services, in which I ended up with all but one, as they had their own in house tech.

My close friends started telling me : "You won big dough, and you don`t have to work your ass off anymore, why don`t you travel around the country, or the world for that matter" !! I replied, I love repairing audio equipment and the sense of accomplishment/purpose that it gives me, and of making my customer`s happy and building people`s trust again in honest electronic service, as it was pretty tainted around here from the horror stories that I was told,,

Even when my father passed on in 10/12/07 and I was asked at the reading of the will ,and with my 1/3rd portion from his estate added to my own assets, by my older sister, in a tongue in cheek style, asked me : how does it feel to be a millionaire ? In which I mildly sarcastically replied : "I don`t know, what does it mean, and how should I act" ? Nothing had really changed with me, but numbers in a bank !!

Like I said, I won`t let money control me, and I only get paid once a year(hence "the annuity" !!)
Yeah, the money is nice, and I could easily go nuts with it, but as an example, I chose to live in a 1985 built, modest ~$ 79,000.00 in 1989 house, when I assumed the 30 year mortgage of the original owners, and still own and drive my first brand new vehicle that I could finally afford, a ~$12,000.00 1987 Chevy Astro cargo style van ..

That`s a shame, and very sad and tragic tale about your friend, bimasta

Sorry about the, yet again, long winded diatribe Sir./folks !!

Take care, and enjoy the music, as best you can, after all, isn`t what this is all about. :music:

Most kind regards, OKB

My friend lacked your strength of character. How much of that was his responsibility, I wouldn't presume to judge. I never met his father, but it was a bad relationship. Your father stands out as a pillar of strength and guidance. He suffered through everything you did, that's what happens to good, caring fathers — yet his focus on your well-being, your attitude, your future, your courage, seems never to have wavered. It's hard to see how you could be the man you are today without him in your life.

The happenstance of "wealth" bears no comparison. My friend was born with it, took it for granted. I remember a bull session in high school, four or five of us wondering "what are you going to be when you're grown up?" Few had clear answers — except my friend, who just laughed and said "RICH!!!" I don't think you were born rich, as far as I can tell.

My friend didn't earn it, never sacrificed for it. You sacrificed, though in ways you'd have avoided if given the chance. And "born with it" doesn't solely account for different attitudes; just see lottery winners, working people with "common sense", lose their minds, common sense gone, moral compass gone, etc. Not all, of course, just as not all who are born to wealth.

This could go on, but this isn't really the place. I happen to know two self-made billionaires (yes with a "b") — I knew them in our 20s and they were from middle class homes. How wealth and power changed them, and didn't, is fascinating.

Thanks for sharing your life, Bill. My story was a downer, yours is uplifting.

My friend lacked your strength of character. How much of that was his responsibility, I wouldn't presume to judge. I never met his father, but it was a bad relationship. Your father stands out as a pillar of strength and guidance. He suffered through everything you did, that's what happens to good, caring fathers — yet his focus on your well-being, your attitude, your future, your courage, seems never to have wavered. It's hard to see how you could be the man you are today without him in your life.

The happenstance of "wealth" bears no comparison. My friend was born with it, took it for granted. I remember a bull session in high school, four or five of us wondering "what are you going to be when you're grown up?" Few had clear answers — except my friend, who just laughed and said "RICH!!!" I don't think you were born rich, as far as I can tell.

My friend didn't earn it, never sacrificed for it. You sacrificed, though in ways you'd have avoided if given the chance. And "born with it" doesn't solely account for different attitudes; just see lottery winners, working people with "common sense", lose their minds, common sense gone, moral compass gone, etc. Not all, of course, just as not all who are born to wealth.

This could go on, but this isn't really the place. I happen to know two self-made billionaires (yes with a "b") — I knew them in our 20s and they were from middle class homes. How wealth and power changed them, and didn't, is fascinating.

Thanks for sharing your life, Bill. My story was a downer, yours is uplifting.

No born to wealth for me !!
There where times in my late teens, when I didn`t know were my next meal. floor, shower were going to come from, as I was trying to strike out on my on !!
And as to my father`s influence on me, he could be strict, but, in reflection, was logically fair in his dealing`s with me growing up.. No discipline was tendered that was not deserved..

And he one of the smartest individuals I ever met to this day, and that`s not said because he was my father !! Doctors that met him thought that he had gone to medical collage, and the same with attorney`s who conversed with him, and so on !!

Yet, he could lay brick, build, repair a roof properly, fell trees, etc. with the best of them, though he was a Georgia Tech. graduate in business, but learned very well all the classes that they threw his way during the mid ~ late thirties before he became a captain in the army to train men for the first American landings in North Africa(Operation Torch, circa: the beginning of the direct land based involvement of the USA in WW II..
All that is good about me, I directly owe to him, and am no doubt am better for it, and most grateful !!

An update on my stereo situation. I took the stereo back to the repair shop. The repairman said there was a couple of transistors that went bad. I had originally taken this stereo in to have it refurbished. He said it was complete and finished when I went to pick it up. Got home and the 3 of the 4 channels did not work. So much for the refurbishing job. He obviously didn't do his job. It's been 10 days and the transistors that he ordered have not came in yet. I will never buy a fixer upper again.

Thanks for listening,

Lonnie

I should have known something was up. Back in the early 80s, my first Harman/Kardon cassette deck was acting a bit flaky, and had some intermittent problem (now long-forgotten) where, if you pushed on any of the front panel buttons, the "problem" would pop in and out. The high frequencies also overloaded it at anything above -20dB, even before that issue. The only recommended repair facility in our entire area was a shop in a not so great neighborhood. When I arrived...the wall had a very large set of shelves filled with irons, toasters and toaster ovens...you name the small appliance, there they were, with repair tags on them. I went ahead and left it there anyway. Every couple of weeks, "We're waiting for the parts." After a few calls like that, and being without it for a couple of months, I finally called H/K's office in New York, who called the repair shop...and guess what, the parts were suddenly available. It's called being too lazy or poor to order the parts.

So we all know the outcome now. Not fixed at all. And it's more dirty than when it ever left my house. I finally wrote a hell of a letter to H/K complaining mostly about the repair facility that clearly wasn't equipped to fix electronics, who in reply asked I send it back to them directly. In return, about two weeks later, a brand new, more recent model shows up via UPS, and it's been working great for over 35 years now.

I did mention to H/K that the shop I went to was wall-to-wall small appliances, with not a sign anywhere mentioning electronics repair. It made me wonder how H/K chose that particular shop, or what the shop told H/K in order to get their repair business for the entire area.

no one is born with the gifts we all see here on AK or in daily life, or even in the news.

many of us don't even get a chance to discover it, or it comes so much later in life.

from what I see here on AK, there are lots of people who get free stuff, or buy something
they think they can fix, and come here for the help. and sometimes they are overwhelmed
and in rare cases, the unit is repaired. But the journey can be long if there's lots of learning
along the way.

most times that the OP has given up, is when they second-guess the info provided
and don't follow the suggestions, or don't bother to learn

the point is that giving up is giving up. if you can learn, then you can learn to
fix things like cars, toys, computers, appliances, lawn mowers and even audio.
once on the path, you can learn how to make money, improve skills, get a
degree - same thought process - just needs focus and dedication.

I think the key is to learn to diagnose - try to isolate the conditions by removing
or eliminating possible causes, then figuring out what caused the problem, then
trying different solutions (first mentally and then moving to actual).
Doctors ask a series of questions, each one removing possibilities while
narrowing it down.

from fixing cars, computers, software, audio, toys, there are the same thought
processes that are common to all troubleshooting.

so for those who give up, try again, perhaps later when the fog is gone.

I maintain the lighting systems on cell phone towers, which are fairly complex circuits. Intermittant problems are the worst part of my job. It can be pretty aggravating to drive several hundred miles to get to a site that's working fine, and hasn't alarmed in a week.
I used to fix coffee machines for Starbucks. Soooo many times I would get called out of bed on the weekends, drive 100 miles, only to get to a place where the person who reported it isn't there, didn't leave any info, and all the machines are currently working. I'd call my boss and he'd be like "Well, just do this and this and this and this." I finally quit because, to him, it didn't matter what I was doing as long as the company was charging by the hour, and to hell with my time off.

Back
Top Bottom