FLAC sources?

popsicality

Hey all,

I finally got myself a DAC and now I'm going flac happy- only I don't know where to find them! I'd like to get some flac files of the albums I already own on CD and Vinyl- where can I find some?

Compare the cost of buying the files for your existing CD's with the cost of buying an external CD drive, (you can get them for about the cost of one download) and then go buy an external drive. Then download a copy of EAC (Exact Audio Copy). Sorted.

Last edited:
With all the billions of CDs out there, bargains await! 50 cents, a dollar for used and if they play (they almost always do) they will sound like new. As mentioned here, downloads in flac can be expensive and not always available either and with an external optical drive you soon can have a great and huge library of high quality lossless flac files on your own hard drive. Get a good media player and discover all the great ways to access and play all your new music!

Also, Onkyo e -music, Qobuz when they come to the states will sell you the music you listen to.
I don't know why they all are not doing this! As I don't lease a car, or rent an apt, neither do I rent music as a long term way of listening to my favorite artists . Makes sense to me and when they do come i will likely sign up.

I finally got myself a DAC and now I'm going flac happy- only I don't know where to find them! I'd like to get some flac files of the albums I already own on CD and Vinyl- where can I find some?

Is your goal better audio quality, or more convenient access to music?

Ripping CDs to FLAC will not improve their audio quality.

If you want to acquire downloaded recordings that have better than CD quality, then buy high-quality high-resolution (24bit/96kHz or 24/192) FLAC downloads, and hi-res DSD downloads. For his-res discs, buy SACDs, Pure Audio Blu-ray, and Blu-ray. In all cases, you need to be concerned with the provenance of recordings. (Garbage-in / garbage-out.) As others have pointed out, HDTracks.com is a source for hi-res FLAC downloads. (Note that not all of their downloads are hi-res.) A useful reference for hi-res recordings is HRAudio.net

OTOH, if your goal is more convenient access to music you already own, then you have to decide if the time it will take you to rip and tag your CDs is worthwhile. (The level of effort associated with tagging depends on music genre. Tagging for classical music is a PITA, because there are no standards.) Another option for convenient access to an enormous library of music is a streaming service such as Spotify Premium.

If you’ve not already done so, I suggest you read this thread: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/where-do-i-start.805298/

Back
Top Bottom