A little help here. What's the angle on this too good to be true treadmill.

rxonmymind

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/spo/d/sole-tt8-treadmill-brand-box/6488148096.html

Shot off an inquiry of interest and seller claims he bought it for his wife in his apartment. Unfortunately, it's too big. So instead of the hassle of sending it back he was willing to take a haircut on it. Normally these go for $2400 but he's selling it for $1600. Even taking into restocking fee I'd think he'd come out ahead sending it back.
Wife shoots off an email of best offer and he's willing to deliver and wait for it......"due to a death in the family which I am going to a funeral tomorrow I could certainly use the cash for the trip".
When she showed me that red flags went up. But it's NEW in the box. Did it "fall off" the white van or mysteriously go out the back door of a business?
I find it interesting that there's two for sale at the same time.
https://stockton.craigslist.org/spo/d/brand-spankin-new-sole-tt8/6488553301.html
Both are brand new.

Either way we passed. Any wisdom or insight so one can learn from this in the future would be great.
Thanks.

Attachments

• 00f0f_a40YAG1RXBm_600x450.jpg
    00f0f_a40YAG1RXBm_600x450.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 26
I believe that treadmill had a manufacturer discount early in the new year that took the price to $1750. So if the seller got it then, they may well have paid not much more than the asking price.

That unit is pretty good sized..bigger than a lot of the treadmills popular for home use.

Not saying it isn't some sort of scam, but seems like there is a reasonable likelihood that it's not.

The former sunshine of my life wanted one of those, albeit a different manufacturer. Costly things, but they sure are well built. Held a lot of clothes. I would have gladly spent the coin on closet remodel, but I guess she liked open air wardrobe.

Forget the treadmill unless you're recovering from surgery and get a stairstepper or an elliptical if you're serious about adding cardio to your workout. They're all boring to the point of tears but at least you don't have to spend as much time on the steppers to keep the ticker healthy.

The former sunshine of my life wanted one of those, albeit a different manufacturer. Costly things, but they sure are well built. Held a lot of clothes. I would have gladly spent the coin on closet remodel, but I guess she liked open air wardrobe.
Ours sits in our walk out basement. Still looks great after 7 years. The wife, that is. The treadmill looks good too.

I would have passed too. Too sketchy. Just picked up a used Sole F63 off a FB ad though. Two years old -$300 . Looks like new ,works great. Pita to pick up in our 4Runner though! Didnt quite fit and weighs 250 lbs. Bob

The thrift stores are full of lightly used exercise equipment at dirt cheap prices. That's where to go.
Not all treadmills are equal.
I answered a CL ad for one dirt cheap treadmill. Get there the lady was nice then showed me the unit. First, it LOOKED like some cheap isle 5 toy section treadmill for kids. I thought to myself "there is no way this thing will support me let alone have me run on it".
I straddle the side just on the outside of the belt, hit 2 mph and then hop on. The single ply belt grinds to a slow halt as my foot lands then tries with effort to keep going. It slowly pics up speed again and I set the other foot down. Slows to a crawl again. She's trying not to laugh, I'm trying not to laugh myself. Without further humiliation and with the grace of an rhino I hop off afraid to break it. :D
$50 was the price. She was maybe 5'3 and a fairy so appropriate for her.
Sigh. I need a heavy duty treadmill.

I appreciate everyone's feedback. Thank you.

I would have passed too. Too sketchy. Just picked up a used Sole F63 off a FB ad though. Two years old -$300 . Looks like new ,works great. Pita to pick up in our 4Runner though! Didnt quite fit and weighs 250 lbs. Bob

You know when friends are nowhere to be found when you need them to move? I too saw a used one and managed to line up a truck, trailer and couple guys to move a used TT8. I was blown away. First time in a long time I had friends who didn't have a pet turtle to feed, have ant farms needed herding etc.:D
I have NO problem with a used on as this was going for $600. Wife didn't want a used one. She's adamant about that and part of the reason why she will never step foot inside a gym this her offer of a new one.

I hav
Forget the treadmill unless you're recovering from surgery and get a stairstepper or an elliptical if you're serious about adding cardio to your workout. They're all boring to the point of tears but at least you don't have to spend as much time on the steppers to keep the ticker healthy.
I have an See E35 elliptical. Beautiful machine. I just wanted a treadmill to change up the cadence a little bit. Also have one for the summer coming up as the heat is more than I care to work out in. Really these two machines are for the cold winter and extremely hot summers around here with the occasional showers. It took me decades to figure out I'm not a public gym guy. Having one at home is just the ticket.

Attachments

• IMG_20171216_202521.jpg
    IMG_20171216_202521.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20180211_084132.jpg
    IMG_20180211_084132.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 15
I hav

I have an See E35 elliptical. Beautiful machine. I just wanted a treadmill to change up the cadence a little bit. Also have one for the summer coming up as the heat is more than I care to work out in. Really these two machines are for the cold winter and extremely hot summers around here with the occasional showers. It took me decades to figure out I'm not a public gym guy. Having one at home is just the ticket.
Nice elliptical.:thumbsup: I'm the same way I don't like public gyms either so I have my 4000pt stairmaster sit in my sda sweetspot to help with the cardio boredom. How do you like those adjustable dumbells? I have thought many times about getting rid of my rack and getting just one pair. I couldn't seem to swap the poundages quick enough though when I tried them out.

Nice elliptical.:thumbsup: I'm the same way I don't like public gyms either so I have my 4000pt stairmaster sit in my sda sweetspot to help with the cardio boredom. How do you like those adjustable dumbells? I have thought many times about getting rid of my rack and getting just one pair. I couldn't seem to swap the poundages quick enough though when I tried them out.

I like the dial-a-weight better than the pins which is a tiny bit faster and more accurate. I'm totally guessing here but I think for ultra long term durability the rack of weights is better for serious lifters than any dial. No moving parts, nothing to get stripped or "unhinged" from the mechanics etc. I'm talking 10-20 years of dumbbell vs dialed weights.
For me as the occasional weight pusher these will last decades. I only use them three times a week lightly 40#> so I expect them to last longer than the guy dialing it left and right 20x on a daily set routine.
Also due to the size of one plate at 40# your arc when you are say, doing overhead shoulder press it can get in the way. Same with doing flys. There's a way around it but when your hammering and bells bounce off each other these are not the ones for serious lifters. They can't be dropped either. Although I've never been in the habit of dropping weights I "get it" towards the end when one muscles are burning hot on the last few towards exhaustion you "throw" them once done. These are not for that. They'll break.
Cheers.

I had a nice Precor treadmill and then a elliptical. Running was hard on my body so the treadmill had to go. The elliptical hurt my back after about 20 minutes.

And the scenery gets boring.

I now ride a bicycle out in the real world on nice days, and have a small trainer that connects to the rear axle/wheel for unpleasant days.

Also, I'd rather have a bike sitting around that doesn't get used than those other things.

Rob

I doubt the treadmill is a scam.. I would pursue it if I was in the market for one..

Wait another month or so and more will be on the used market. I got an elliptical last year for $200 that was originally $1500..

I find the whole concept of actually buying treadmill intriguing. Nearly every week one shows up at my town dump not to mention what's on Freecycle.

Get the guys number and call back after three months when the price drops.....if he still has it. So many people buy these and just like RV’s then they just sit around until someone needs money.

Back
Top Bottom