Where to report problems with forum?

amb3cog

Electronics Junkie. Looking for a fix
I've been recently having problems with typing on this forum. And only this forum. For instance I hit the space bar and the first letter of the word I just typed gets inserted instead of the space. And when I hit the word that my typing app (SwiftKey) suggests as I'm typing. It instead gives me some jumbled nonsense. I've never had any issues like this anywhere else. And I have a new phone that is top quality (Pixel 2 XL). Any help would be greatly appreciated. It's very annoying.:rant:

BTW I mean only on AudioKarma. Not this particular forum only. Sorry if that was confusing

But it only happens on AudioKarma. Not on any other forum. Not in any other app. Just here. So I think not.

Pixel 2 XL running Nougat (Android 8.1). SwiftKey keyboard app. Chrome browser.

Haven't tried that. I may do that tomorrow. But I'm not changing it permanently, and I don't even really want to anyway. I like this app, and it's tweaked just how I like it right now .

The important thing is I only have problems here. So I'm pretty sure. It's something wrong with AudioKarma's software anyway. It's worked fine since I got the phone in December, until now. Same exact setup.

Haven't tried that. I may do that tomorrow. But I'm not changing it permanently, and I don't even really want to anyway
No one's suggesting to stop using SwiftKey.... just basic troubleshooting. If the problem continues with stock keyboard, then the problem is something else...next.

No one's suggesting to stop using SwiftKey.... just basic troubleshooting. If the problem continues with stock keyboard, then the problem is something else...next.

I get that. I'm just busy. And I have it set up just how I like it. I'm afraid I'll have to redo the settings, and not not have it right again for a while.

Thanks for the response. I noticed the problem after I updated a bunch of stuff. Including the Swiftkey app. It's been upgraded many times since then though. I finally had a few minutes, and switched over to my stock app. But I just did. I've noticed one little issue, but it's basically much better.

Weird thing is. It's just here, and nowhere else. Must be some sort of conflict. I still think it's the Audio Karma software though. Because it's still not perfect with this new app.

Does anyone know what software they use? I would need the exact number. Because then I can try to find another forum that uses it, and try to see what happens when I use it there.

BTW thank you to everyone for the help. I would have been more clear if it was working correctly. It took so long to write just a few words. And I'm sorry for the long delay in responding. I work weekends, and it's my busiest time of the week.

I appreciate all the responses, and I really appreciate your patience.

Andy B.

Does anyone know what software they use?
AK uses Xenforo. It's a fairly common and relatively robust forum software. As for what specific version they are running, who knows. AK migrated from VBulletin about 2 years ago. Whether AK's version is "up to date" bell/whistle/platform wise is anyone's guess. Could be Xenforo related but I really don't think that's the real culprit of your issue.
switched over to my stock app. But I just did. I've noticed one little issue, but it's basically much better.
That hint's of being Swiftkey "related". My off-the-cuff guess (at this point) is that there may be an ad/script/tracking competition/conflict between SwiftKey and one/two of AK's affiliate rotational ads that are gagging your device's CPU resources. Again, just a wild educated guess.
Weird thing is. It's just here, and nowhere else.
This would bolster my ad/tracking script related theory above. Here's a couple of somethings to try.
1. Clear your cookies and/or better yet use a different browser with a cleared cache. Test....
2. Install an ad-blocker add-on for your browser and see what happens.

FWIW, here's another fairly large site that uses Xenforo and runs affiliate ads. Give TiVo Community a test drive with Swiftkey engaged. Not a definitive test...but it will possibly shed more light.

Thanks for the great advice. I've since had issues at other places. But not as bad, or as consistent as here. I also had them with the stock keyboard app too. But I'm on SwiftKey right now. And it's working fine. I'm on a different browser though. I'm on Dolphin right now.

I'll go ahead, and try your suggestions. But I just got home from work. And I'm watching the season finale of Star Trek Discovery first. It's the only TV I watch. So I'm all excited for it. :banana:

Your ideas make a lot of sense. I have tomorrow off too. So I'll finally have time to really play with it, and figure it out.

Again. Thank you. I really appreciate you taking the time to help. Have a great night. :D

Andy B.

This would bolster my ad/tracking script related theory above.
The garbage that those ad companies let through their systems is mostly to blame for the sporadic behavior. A bone stock XenForo is one of the most flexible sites you could ever visit--they test it on many versions of browsers, OSes and devices, and have a very active bug tracking system where the developers are continually checking and asking for feedback from members. It also degrades gracefully, and will still work (albeit with reduced functionality) on older or less capable browsers...even Lynx.

On other forums I've run, many of the problems came from visitors who load up on the ad blocking and JavaScript-crippling add-ons. Well yeah, you're interfering with the site's coding with those dubious programs...we ask members to turn all of that off when troubleshooting. (And voilá, what do you know--the problem goes away. :rolleyes: ;) ) On other forums I've visited, performance issues that existed on that site and not others generally were with the ad networks they used--those things inject JavaScript into the code just to display their ads, and then when some of those bottom-feeding advertisers ram their intrusive ads through the system with their own JavaScript payloads, everything goes haywire. Can't blame a site owner or admin for that, and the only thing to do is to somehow find out which offending ad it is, then have the admin contact the ad network to get them to take it down. The ad networks also may not load asynchronously, so the page may have a delay in loading some of its elements (including JavaScript) as it waits for all of those outside resources (the ad networks) to load.

2. Install an ad-blocker add-on for your browser and see what happens.
Sadly there isn't one for his device, short of using a substandard browser that does not sync up to anything. Chrome, however, has added another "frame buster" mitigation to help with those phony "You have a virus on your phone" ads in their most recent version (Chrome 64.x), so, there is at least some progress for the worst of them. There used to be a way to install an ad blocker after rooting the phone, but my days of doing that with my primary devices have long passed.

interesting thread, I also have the same question
o.png

My problems just went away yesterday when I got a new update for my keyboard app, but what's weird is I still had the problem with the stock keyboard???

Anyway. I would still like an answer to my question also. Just in case I have any other issues. I guess I'll just PM a mod if that happens again, or something else does

My problems just went away yesterday when I got a new update for my keyboard app, but what's weird is I still had the problem with the stock keyboard???

Anyway. I would still like an answer to my question also. Just in case I have any other issues. I guess I'll just PM a mod if that happens again, or something else does

interesting thread, I also have the same question
o.png

You can use the "report" button at the bottom of every post.

Back
Top Bottom