mc2205 mc2255 replacement lamp with LED

Just finished my 2255 this morning with leds and new gel. 19 bulbs in there and some need to be soldered in. I think the hardest part was carrying that 86lb amp across the yard and up 2 flights of stairs once I finished. As usual the pics do not do justice and it looks soooo much better in real life. Before

20180210_140358.jpg

And after

20180211_085038.jpg

Looks great. I had a 2205 I used original lamps when I fixed some issues on the pcb that also fixed bad power guard lamp. Now the 2255 I have needs new gels. Where did you get those, Mac?

Ordering a $1 bulb from mouser would probably end up costing me $25 for shipping. My local electronics parts store only stocks the 755 :-(
Mouser = $4.95 via the cheapest USPS 7 day rate. $7.95 for 2-3 day FedEx or UPS. I just bought four caps totaling $10 (not incl. shipping). There is no minimum purchase. I believe Digikey has the same policies and rates.

Thanks; I got a kit from a guy on ebay that had the correct 19 bulbs and the gels for $35.99 shipped. I tried to get better pics of the new look but dammit those new leds are camera shy and do not like their pics taken.

Looks great. I had a 2205 I used original lamps when I fixed some issues on the pcb that also fixed bad power guard lamp. Now the 2255 I have needs new gels. Where did you get those, Mac?
Mcintosh wanted $20 each ($40 total!!) for two blue tinted meter sheets for my MC300. The MC300 uses stiff tinted plastic that is about 1 mm thick. Does the 2205 use very thin plastic sheets you can bend? There was an earlier thread where someone suggested a source for two specific tinted sheets that are placed on top of each other.

Mcintosh wanted $20 each ($40 total!!) for two blue tinted meter sheets for my MC300. The MC300 uses stiff tinted plastic that is about 1 mm thick. Does the 2205 use very thin plastic sheets you can bend? There was an earlier thread where someone suggested a source for two specific tinted sheets that are placed on top of each other.
The 2205 uses lexan in front of the meters and the thin gels behind them. A haze will often form between the front glass and the blue lexan, which you can clean if you carefully remove the lexan from the glass.

I replaced the normal lights on my MC2200 with more of the originals, but one has already burned out. I got a second MC2200 and the buyer said he had replaced the normal lights with green LEDs, they are both out now too.

So much for LEDs lasting longer...

I replaced the normal lights on my MC2200 with more of the originals, but one has already burned out. I got a second MC2200 and the buyer said he had replaced the normal lights with green LEDs, they are both out now too.

So much for LEDs lasting longer...
I would check the voltage to the bulbs. The four Power Guard bulbs receive their power from the power supply board. Do the red bulbs flash when the power is turned on? Has the unit ever been recapped? I think the problem is the two large capacitors and the two diodes hiding in between. Also, 99% of the bulb changes mentioned deal with back lighting of the front panel. When a bulb is driven through a transistor switch as an indicator, the transistor is looking for a particular load.

Red lights OK, I did rebuild the PS (it's only two caps and diodes!) when I replaced the lamps. Original unit Terry fresh, second unit (w/LED "upgrade") not restored.

Yes search for MC2255 led's. There's a couple different vendors and one is more expensive than the one I used but all 19 of his bulbs are led's. My smaller ones are incandescent. I might add there's a fair amount of disassembly to replace all the bulbs and several have to be soldered in. Make sure you completely disassemble (2 clips on each board) where the meter bulbs go as the bulb holders have gotten brittle with age

I went with the warm white and added an extra layer of the gel. The seller's pics didn't come out any better than mine but I'm pleased with the tint and I wouldn't change a thing on mine.

Back
Top Bottom