JBL 240Ti worth a trip?

I am about to go into your request list now. I will give more feedback on that later.

But first a review of the first hour spent in my listening space with the JBL 240Ti's. All speakers were used in exact same location, moved in and out. Onkyo was set to PURE AUDIO. No sound processing, no equalization, no room correction, no leveling.

A sample CD of various classical music from assorted orchestras. First I used the JBL L100T3 as a basis for comparison. Then I replaced the T3's with the JBL 240Ti's. Same CD. Took me a while, but eventually distinguished what changes there were. Overall a warmer sound. Highs were not nearly as fatiguing at higher volume levels, a potential problem with the T3's. Sting instruments had more defined notes and separation of instruments was easier to perceive due to the increase in definition. Horned instruments were similarly increasingly defined and separated. More lower notes from strings and horns with the 240Ti's came through as being deeper, warmer and more pronounced. Piano is where both struggled. Neither sounded like I was sitting in a room with a piano playing live. So I cranked up the volume, and low and behold, a sudden change in the overall acoustics of the entire listening space. The piano sounded better, truer, more accurate, and more live with the 240Ti, but only at prodigious volume levels. It really takes a lot to open up those 14" woofers.

A quick CD change to a few tracks that I have spent literally days listening to over the years to compare equipment. Laugh all you want, but the realism, sense of space, and overall width of range in frequency in both music and vocals is hard to find on one single track.
Bjork - Homogenic (1997)
Track 4 - Bachelorette ---- Instantly noticing how low these 240Ti dig down. Besting any pair I ever owned in the low bass on this track. Wider space. Higher volume increases the piano depth. I reached for the L-pad at the higher level, unfortunately the L100T3 did not have such an L-pad, and a bit of fatigue set in at the highest listening levels.
Track 10 - All Is Full Of Love ---- Even wider listening space with the 240Ti. Vocals were warmer for sure. The harp was slightly less defined, less sharp, slightly veiled on the 240Ti when compared to the L100T3.

Now compared to the Klipsch Chorus II or Forte II, I would say the JBL 240Ti improves on warmth, bass, and width and depth of listening space, less bright, less fatiguing. On a down note, the JBL's are less accurate, less clarity, less clean, less overall definition, less separation of notes and instruments when comparing to my Klipsch. Closest I have had though. Makes me wonder what horn loaded JBL's would do for me?

Thank you all for following me on my journey here, I know it has been a long winding road. I hope you have enjoyed reading and following along. This has been a great opportunity for me and I feel as though I might actually belong here sharing my experiences with you all. I have some things to share, some things to ask, some things that I have yet to discover. Oh, and my buying, selling, and upgrading will not be ending here either.

Nice review.
Makes me wonder what horn loaded JBL's would do for me?
I once wondered that, too, but no longer!
4345-14-2s_3.jpg

Don't wonder what horn loaded JBL's would do for you. Enjoy what you have- until you don't any more.

@314carpenter - I think you should try different amps with the 240Ti to see if you get different results. The Ti series should be pretty accurate, but they are not as efficient as the Klipsch or the JBL T3 series. You should try a quality amp pumping out 200wpc or higher , and that should open up the 240Ti even more.

@314carpenter - I think you should try different amps with the 240Ti to see if you get different results. The Ti series should be pretty accurate, but they are not as efficient as the Klipsch or the JBL T3 series. You should try a quality amp pumping out 200wpc or higher , and that should open up the 240Ti even more.
I obtained a Crown Studio Reference II (355w @ 8-ohms) for my 250Tis, but I haven't tried it yet. Sadly I haven't played the 250s for more than a few minutes since getting them due to space limitations. Waiting for the new house to be done!

I agree! My 240ti sound great with a rebuilt SX-950, but really shine with 400 wpc. Predictably, this improvement is especially evident in the bass, especially the mid bass. These are quite impressive with serious power thrown at them. Nice review BTW!

Yup. Ran mine with a Yamaha PC2002m and the JBLs really feed on That extra power. They really thrive on it. I would recommend that you look into that as your next step.

I power my L-7's with a Parasound 2200 mkII and I love it. I also liked the Sony n80es amplifier with them. Im hunting for some 240 or 250 jbls now

Looking for help from any owners of JBL240Ti. I need a photo of the bottom of the speaker so I can restore mine to original. The dimension I have is a perfect 36.00 inches. Specs call for 36.625 inches. I would like to see what size bottom plate is used. Also what style of foot was used originally. I tipped one over for you to see what sort of challenge I face here.

View attachment 1111171
Did you ever get the info you needed concerning the 240ti bottoms? I just purchased a pair and it's very easy to provide photos of what's down there. Let me know if you need anything

Back
Top Bottom