Sansui PM-2020 restoration

Last night after talking to a friend who works for the town I live in, she said that by contacting his local business licensing dept. and filing a report, they will investigate and can revoke his license. Especially if there are multiple complaints.

Just sent this text to him this morning:

"I have pleaded with you to let me know what is happening with my PM-2020. The time frame to complete this has long expired along with my patience! If you do not provide me with my amplifier by the end of this month of February 2018, I will be filing a police report along with contacting your local business licensing dept and filing a complaint."

More than likely he will ignore this text, like all others I have sent. And if so, I will be showing up unannounced at his business in the not too distant future. But not before going to the local authorities and have them come with me to retrieve my Sansui!

I also think the mods or whoever is in charge of advertisements need to get involved in this situation. I don't know how they can allow this guy to still advertise on this website if they know he's turned to larceny. I guess we'll learn if the name given this forum is fitting or ironic.

I also think the mods or whoever is in charge of advertisements need to get involved in this situation. I don't know how they can allow this guy to still advertise on this website if they know he's turned to larceny. I guess we'll learn if the name given this forum is fitting or ironic.

I agree and plan on messaging Grumpy about it.

A couple of reasons why I haven't filed a report yet is that I am currently working 80 hrs a week for the next couple of weeks so I don't have the time right now, and the other is that I'm afraid he might sabotage or do something if I take it to the next level so I want to file the report just a few days before I show up at his doorstep.

Last edited:
New news.... I finally got a response from this guy last night! Unfortunately, I missed his call and didn't see the message until this morning but will be contacting him later today when I get a chance.

He left a message that he was in China for the last 3 weeks and wasn't getting his calls forwarded. That's Not really an excuse when he has been ignoring me for months....just another excuse to add to list of the ones I've heard from him already if you ask me.

He mentioned in the voicemail that he just hasn't had the time to work on it. Really? I think he should have thought of something else to say other than that. Over 2 Years in his possession but he couldn't find the time........pitiful excuse if you ask me. Makes me wonder if there is unrepairable damage done to it and that's why he was stalling. Then he goes on to mention that he is not going to be able to get to it at all and mentioned making arrangements to send the amp back to me. Since it unfortunately is not done, and the fact that I now will have to take it to someone else and have them decipher his undone work without a schematic is not cool, but at least I will be getting my amp back.

New news.... I finally got a response from this guy last night! Unfortunately, I missed his call and didn't see the message until this morning but will be contacting him later today when I get a chance.

He left a message that he was in China for the last 3 weeks and wasn't getting his calls forwarded. That's Not really an excuse when he has been ignoring me for months....just another excuse to add to list of the ones I've heard from him already if you ask me.

He mentioned in the voicemail that he just hasn't had the time to work on it. Really? I think he should have thought of something else to say other than that. Over 2 Years in his possession but he couldn't find the time........pitiful excuse if you ask me. Makes me wonder if there is unrepairable damage done to it and that's why he was stalling. Then he goes on to mention that he is not going to be able to get to it at all and mentioned making arrangements to send the amp back to me. Since it unfortunately is not done, and the fact that I now will have to take it to someone else and have them decipher his undone work without a schematic is not cool, but at least I will be getting my amp back.
Good news! I think getting your amp back is really the best you could have hoped for with this guy. I still see his ads on this site, which is a bit odd to me.

I wasn't able to speak with him last night but I did finally get him on the phone today. When we spoke, he told me that he will be packing it up and shipping it back to me free of charge but still not fixed as he just doesn't have the time to get to it. Apparently the plastic shielding in the wire used in this amp over time has disintegrated and is the root of the problem and all of it needs to be replaced. He said some were replaced but there is still more that needs rewiring and is including the new audiophile grade wiring to complete it.

It is unfortunate that it was not completed and considering that this amp was shipped 3 times, was in his possession for over 2 years and it and still is not operational, leaves me disgruntled to say the least. But I guess the fact that it was completely recapped, cleaned, tubes replaced, and a couple of damaged knobs repaired all for no cost, I do feel better about it. I do hope he sends me a tracking number within the next couple of days like he said he would or this better feeling I'm having will turn back to frustration.

Unfortunately I will be heading out of town for work and wont be here when it arrives but I'll be back before the end of March where I can update this.

I personally think this guy will laugh at the prospect of being reported to the BBB. I'd file a police report instead. At this point, this situation sounds more like theft than a real customer-vendor dispute.
Hopefully this matter is all sorted. I think you find that most cops will laugh you off if you try to do the above as the amplifier was given willingly to the person to repair (rather than stolen from his house) - hence its a "civil" matter rather than a criminal one.

US law may be different, but thats the approach under commonwealth law, hence why I referred to "conversion" as you may have more luck trying that on with the cops.....

Last edited:
Hopefully this matter is all sorted. I think you find that most cops will laugh you off if you try to do the above as the amplifier was given willingly to the person to repair (rather than stolen from is house) - hence its a "civil" matter rather than a criminal one.

US law may be different, but thats the approach under commonwealth law, hence why I referred to "conversion" as you may have more luck trying that on with the cops.....

You are correct! I did actually contact police and was told that they could do nothing and that it was a civil matter. They told me that I needed to take him to small claims court and if it was ruled in my favor and he did not comply, then the police could do something at that point.

Hopefully this matter is all sorted. I think you find that most cops will laugh you off if you try to do the above as the amplifier was given willingly to the person to repair (rather than stolen from is house) - hence its a "civil" matter rather than a criminal one.

You're absolutely correct that in most jurisdictions one has to resort to civil court. My company deals in used equipment, so we deal with a lot of new vendors with questionable pedigrees. On one occasion, I had to get a hold of a local authority across the country that was more than willing to apply a little pressure on our behalf.

Update! I finally got my amplifier back. Unfortunately, I'm away until the end of the month, but I can rest peacefully now knowing that my amplifier is waiting for me in my home when I return.

Even after I spoke with him and he said he was going to pack it up and ship it back to me, it still took over two weeks before he shipped it. He procrastinated even up to the very end. Needless to say, I will never send him another amp.

I'll post picks at the end of the month when I unbox it. Hopefully Mike over at HV Hifi will be able to get it back in action for me as he has done with numerous amps in the past.

Well here it is! The PM-2020 is finally back in my possession. It is unfortunate that it was gone for so long and still not completed, but I know there was a lot of work done to this amp and given the time frame he had, he did not charge me anything so I am grateful for that.

Unfortunately, all the gray cabling needs to be replaced. I was given all the cabling needed To get it done but it looks like it will be quite a task.

IMG_1961.JPG IMG_1962.JPG IMG_1964.JPG

Hi captrockstar,
I know this is a necro thread (long dead).

I restored one of these a few years ago, and yes. All the shielded cable shorts because it disintegrates, what a PITA! I installed 39 feet of RG-174 to replace it all. It works very well now, I hope you were able to have someone fix it up.

Back
Top Bottom